Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:18 PM

100 posts, read 339,866 times

Advertisements

Hello CD'ers...

Let me explain. My husband and I with our 2 kids' went into pet smart today to get our dog some Anti-Fungal shampoo. and while we were there we were looking at the hamsters. They are so cute. My husband and i thought it would be cool to own one with our dog. But we have NO clue as to where to start...

Here's my questions...
1) are they really hard to take care of?
2) can you make them friendly?
3) are they expensive to take care of?
4) what do you actually need to have one?
5) are they play-ful or are they something that my kids will like in a week and then forget about?
6) do they eat alot and what do they eat?
7) I know they are nocturnal *sp* what can you do with them?
8) can they go on trips if you decided to take a vacation or just a couple of days away from home?
9) do they get along with dogs? ( we have a dachshund)

I think that is it for now.. I didn't see any posts on here about hamsters. So if there is posts about them please send me that way Thank you very much for your time and for the help..

Thanks,
Lovin' Surprise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:11 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,858,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Surprise View Post
Hello CD'ers...

Here's my questions...
1) are they really hard to take care of?
2) can you make them friendly?
3) are they expensive to take care of?
4) what do you actually need to have one?
5) are they play-ful or are they something that my kids will like in a week and then forget about?
6) do they eat alot and what do they eat?
7) I know they are nocturnal *sp* what can you do with them?
8) can they go on trips if you decided to take a vacation or just a couple of days away from home?
9) do they get along with dogs? ( we have a dachshund)

I think that is it for now.. I didn't see any posts on here about hamsters. So if there is posts about them please send me that way Thank you very much for your time and for the help..

Thanks,
Lovin' Surprise
They're not difficult to take care of.

Yes, they can be friendly. Some hamsters do well with other hamsters, some do best without other hamsters. I had 3 Campbell's dwarf hamsters, and they were fine. I forget which kind need to live alone. By the way, a "teddy bear" hamster is not a breed or variety. I don't know why they call them that.

Not expensive after you get them set up.

You'll need a cage (don't use an aquarium), bedding, food, toys, food dishes, water bottles, hidey-house, wheel, litter box (optional), and chinchilla sand (for dry baths).

If they're handled every day, they can be playful. Actually, a couple of rats may be a better choice because they are much more sociable. But kids could lose interest in either one.

Because of their size, they don't eat a lot, but they do hoard food. Hamster food can be found in the pet store. I forget which one I used to buy.

My hamsters would wake up when I got home from work and I'd take them out of their cage and let them run around on me on my couch. I never did let them run around in those clear balls. No decent ventilation.

I personally wouldn't take them on an extended vacation, but I would leave them for a weekend at the most. Just leave enough food and water for them.

As for the dog, don't count on it. Your dog most likely has a prey drive and would most likely want to get them. Dachsunds were bred to hunt badgers. My dachsund was too interested in my hamsters, and now my rats, too. Keep your dog away if you get a hamster.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,544,232 times
They can be nippy....rats make much better pets...although not as cute and cuddly.
Be prepared to clean the cage...more often, the less smell. Remember, what goes in,must come out.

Hamsters - Hamster Care - Pet Hamsters

Old 03-14-2010, 08:13 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,280,400 times
What Shelby said- go with rats.

Since I was young, I've had many hamsters, mice and rats- all are cute, but rats are really smart. Wake a hamster up unexpectedly and you will get nipped. I have never been nipped by a rat. Even if you have food on your finger, a rat will lick it off, hamsters and mice will take bite (but the bites aren't all that bad- don't want to make a biger deal out of it than it is).

Rats are more like dogs. You can train them and they play with you. You can gently ruffle their heads and they run away and come back for more, playing like a dog.

OTOH- a hamster doesn't live as long, so for younger kids, it may be a good starter "pocket pet".

Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,669,251 times
Another vote for rats instead, they make much better pets. Although keeping a rodent with a dachshund is probably asking for trouble.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM

511 posts, read 2,205,667 times
I had hampsters when I was younger, had to get a tetnis shot when one clamped down on my finger and wouldn't let go. I had several varieties and some were nicer than others but all of them nipped. Even the supposed "sweetest breed ever" that Petsmart sold me on, the Black Bear hampster. Actually that one bit more than the others.

I'll chime in with my vote for getting a rat too. Most pet shops sell small, medium & large- go with small, they're all the same rats, the "small" are just younger. You should have an easier time getting it used to being handled. They are very smart and can be trained. Mine used to ride around on my shoulder

Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,858,125 times
I prefer rats myself. Males grow to be considerably larger than females. Females are more active and rambunctious. Males tend to smell more, too. Having them neutered helps. Having females spayed helps to decrease the chance of mammary tumors.

As rats are very social, best to buy at least 2. I would suggest buying from a breeder or adopting from a rescue, that way the males you may bring home won't have a litter of 15 each 3 days later. Don't trust the petshop to get the sexes right.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,280,400 times
Steelstress-

Good advice. We got ours at a reptile store and I'm sure that there was some inbreeding, as they were raised for food. I joke that mine won the rat lotto, since they didn't end up as part of the food chain.

One of mine developed a tumor and when I took her to the vet to have it removed, she told me that she was a hemorphodite. Has a penis, but not testicles. She said that he isn't able to breed. Thank goodness.

I would suggest getting two females, as them males develop a rather large package, if you know what I mean. And, as you have said, they stay smaller. Males are just not as cute, IMO.

Mine sit on my shoulder when I am cooking and I feed them pieces of veggies, etc. When I am working at my desk, I'll bring them out to climb around. They are so sweet.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 AM

2,857 posts, read 10,475,579 times
Rats and Guinea pigs make better pets. When I was younger I worked at a pet store and I would always try to steer parents with young kids away from hamsters as about 90% of them were NASTY and BITE....
The friendliest hamsters in my opinion are the Dwarf hamsters, specifically the Robo dwarfs. However, they are very small and quick and young children generally have a hard time handling them and keeping them from bolting off.
To answer your question, No, generally they do not get along with dogs. In my experience children tend to get over the excitement of hamsters fairly quickly. The other downside is they don't live very long which can upset children.

As someone with young children and with experience with animals in the medical field, I would never choose a hamster.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,548,811 times
Default Adopt ---> www.petfinder.com

Adopt a small furry creature rather than buy it! Look on Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and select "Small & Furry" under the Animal search section on the left hand side of the page. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish