Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,245,495 times

Advertisements

My mom will be visiting me in Sedona (from Toronto) and we would like to do a 1 or 2 night away trip.

Some ideas I've had are:
Canyon de Chelley
Shopping in Scottsdale (I know it will be hot but she likes Steinmart )

Do you have any other ideas that might be interesting or fun? I haven't been to too many places in AZ. She is relatively fit but not for major hiking etc.

She's been to the Grand Canyon and doesn't want to go again and is not really into ruins etc.

Thanks!

PS if we do Scottsdale, where should we stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,710,545 times
From Sedona both Prescott and the Grand Canyon are Day trips.
And walking is not too much of an issue at the GC as they have shuttles if you don't know that take you almost everywhere with only short walking involved between stops. It is at 7000' though so I don't know about elevation and how it would affect her breathing (My Mom's 86 so I have to think about things like this.)
Prescott has a lot of history as the original state capital if you don't know.

Shortly it's going to get warmer at lower elevations so I would stay up where it's cooler if she is not used to heat.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
From Sedona both Prescott and the Grand Canyon are Day trips.
And walking is not too much of an issue at the GC as they have shuttles if you don't know that take you almost everywhere with only short walking involved between stops. It is at 7000' though so I don't know about elevation and how it would affect her breathing (My Mom's 86 so I have to think about things like this.)
Prescott has a lot of history as the original state capital if you don't know.

Shortly it's going to get warmer at lower elevations so I would stay up where it's cooler if she is not used to heat.
Thanks Ken, she does not want to go to the GC again, once was enough for her.

Prescott might be nice, I am very familar with it....was there yesterday getting new tires at Costco and dropping off toiletries for the Joplin tornado victims at the Walmart parking lot..

We were thinking of somewhere to go and spend a night or two, maybe we should spend a night in Prescott. Any ideas, quirky places, quaint B&Bs?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,710,545 times
I really hate to make recommendations. Many are fussy about where they stay and how much they spend.
One place that is a bit pricey is the Hassayampa and by some standards compared to what others charge it's a nice place. Everyone I know that has stayed there was impressed. The Hassayampa Inn - Prescott Arizona's Historic Romantic Boutique Hotel
So many places around here want entirely too much to stay at in my opinion. But I am retired and traveled for sometime in an RV so I guess I am cheap now!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:44 PM

201 posts, read 612,356 times
Based on your comments regarding Mom not keen on return to Grand Canyon... "fit but not at hiking level, not into ruins", I'd offer that Canyon de Chelly be put on back burner. It's also about two hours further away from you than Scottsdale.

Old Town Scottsdale with it's variety of shops and restaurants attracts many. Likes Steinmart? I'd venture to say she'd enjoy the Fashion Sq. mall just north of Old Town. They also have a free shuttle that runs thru the area.
Places to stay? Many, many choices in all price ranges. I'd suggest taking a look at tripadvisor and use their map feature which will give you all the hotels with pricing info, ratings, etc.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,082,109 times
is she arriving in Arizona via Sky Harbor?....if so, do the Scottsdale/Steinmart thing right then before heading to Sedona or at the very end of her trip......

did you ask her what she most wants to do or see?....

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 AM

13,248 posts, read 21,872,237 times
Bisbee/Tombstone maybe?

Or maybe Page? There's so much to do in that area. Lake Powell, Glenn Canyon Dam, maybe take in an Upper Antelope Canyon (slot canyon) tour. You can do Lower Antelope without being on an Indian guided tour, but there are some ladders to traverse which might not be good for your mom. That whole area is great, but many of the sights do require a short hike. I'm thinking Horseshoe Bend or Toad Stools. Horseshoe is about a 1/2 or 3/4 mile hike each way, but there's a sandy hill you cross over which could be challenging for her. Or maybe not if she's in good shape. Toad Stools is pretty much drive-in with minimal hiking as I recall. Then there are numerous view points along Lake Powell that don't require any hiking.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Canon de Chelly actually. Again, you need a tour to go back into the canyon. There are some Indian ruins and a few petroglyphs back there, but you said your mom isn't in to ruins. Plus they have a big chain link fence around them which pretty much spoils the experience. The view from up top looking down into the canyon is pretty cool and doesn't require much hiking. But it's basically a big hole like the Grand Canyon. And it's in the middle of nowhere so there's nothing else to do in that area.

Other ideas would be Monument Valley or Meteor Crater. Petrified Forest/Painted Desert might be a really good call too. It's a huge area you can spend a good part of a day driving through with lots of interesting view points which require very little if any hiking. Very uncrowded too, at least the day I was there.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,131,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks Ken, she does not want to go to the GC again, once was enough for her.

Prescott might be nice, I am very familar with it....was there yesterday getting new tires at Costco and dropping off toiletries for the Joplin tornado victims at the Walmart parking lot..

We were thinking of somewhere to go and spend a night or two, maybe we should spend a night in Prescott. Any ideas, quirky places, quaint B&Bs?
.......Hey Adventuregurl..............

I just noticed in Post #4 by keninaz, that he mentioned the "Hassayampa Inn" in downtown Prescott. I can personally recommend it, having stayed there for a couple of days and nights about two years ago.

Also there are 3 Museums in Prescott......one of which (the SMOKI Museum) has a very nice Art & Crafts Gift Shop.

The City Park (City Square) right there in the center of town is quite nice and provides acess to many shops and stores and restaurants around the square.

We ate dinner at the restaurant that is part of the Hassayampa Inn facility and were pleased.

Check out the Hassayampa Inn's web site..... considering your mom's age.....I think she will find the building and it's interior decor attractive and interesting.

Also if your mom makes the reservation and states her age and where she is from, I wouldn't be surprised that they would extend a nice discounted rate.
Worth a try anyway........

Good luck.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
is she arriving in Arizona via Sky Harbor?....if so, do the Scottsdale/Steinmart thing right then before heading to Sedona or at the very end of her trip......

did you ask her what she most wants to do or see?....
She's taking the shuttle up to Sedona and back to allow me more time to work.

She said mostly she wants to see me, Steinmart and JC Penny , shopping is much more expensive in Canada and of course there is different stuff!

PS I'm MUCH more outdoorsy than she is, always have been.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Bisbee/Tombstone maybe?

Or maybe Page?
I thought Tombstone/Bisbee too but hadn't thought of Page, thanks for that idea. I've only passed through there on the way to Bryce so I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona