Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 106,212 times

Advertisements

I have a question to anyone from the area or who has traveled to the area.
Flagstaff - is there anything to see there, is it possible to park downtown somewhere and walk around?

Are there a lot of gas stations on the roads around the area?

It is pointless to try to see the sights (in the Hopi reservation area) by yourself, do you really need a guide, are any of the mountains, craters, canyons accessible by a car. Does anybody know where the prophecy stone located exactly?

Apparently there's plenty of beautiful historic places to look at but when I look at google map, I have hard time finding access points (proper roads) to them. Tours seem to be pretty expensive but if anyone have some suggestions (preferably from personal experience), please share!

I'd like to go to Hopi reservation and see some historic buildings there, Prophecy stone and things like that but we've never been to Arizona, I don't know how safe it is to wonder around by ourselves (with little kids)....

Please share any suggestions you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 02:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,575,882 times
Of course you can park in downtown Flagstaff and walk around, the old downtown has a nice feel to it, some interesting shops and restaurants, mostly older buildings with a few compatible new ones. You can drive a short drive to the Museum of Northern Arizona, you can go to Lowell Observatory, the Arboretum, go to museums on the NAU campus, maybe drive out Hart Prairie Road -- pretty scenery around the San Francisco Peaks.

Others may be able to chime in about the reservation questions.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM

197 posts, read 455,990 times
I am part Hopi and they are very culture strict. Going on the mesas are always the main attraction for tourists, be very aware of your surroundings. Its prohibited to take pictures on the mesa and make sure your kids are very respectful, doesn't matter how old they are or how much they know either. I'm not saying that Hopis are mean but just be respestful and they will act the same.

On the other hand its amazing seeing the villages and if your lucking seeing the dances! Not much museums around other than the cultural center. I don't think you'll need a tour guide just a map.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:22 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,265,982 times
Certain playces such as Canyon de Chelley require a guide to go into the canyon as far as I know. There may be other places like that. Google the ones you're interested in and you'll find out. If you need hotel reservations at Canyon de Chelley, book early!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona