Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,261,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldgrdnr View Post
I feel SO much better in AZ, but cannot tolerate extremely high heat in S AZ either, so I am finding it a very delicate balancing act to find the right place to look for an area we want to spend the rest of our lives in...
Just so you know, S AZ doesn't necessarily mean hotter, it's actually cooler in some places in S AZ than it is in the Verde Valley (due to altitude as I mentioned above). I was visiting a friend in Pattagonia on July 4th and we sat out on her patio in the afternoon, I would NEVER do that here - it's just TOO hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,944,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Just so you know, S AZ doesn't necessarily mean hotter, it's actually cooler in some places in S AZ than it is in the Verde Valley (due to altitude as I mentioned above). I was visiting a friend in Pattagonia on July 4th and we sat out on her patio in the afternoon, I would NEVER do that here - it's just TOO hot.
Isn't Patagonia, and Sonoita, about the same elevation as we are? For some reason I thought they were.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,468,179 times
Prescott, Prescott Valley seem to have everything you need. Chino Valley, Camp Verde, and i suppose you could even check out Strawberry and Pine. Strawberry and Pine get a lot of snow though, but if you winter in Phoenix you should be fine.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Isn't Patagonia, and Sonoita, about the same elevation as we are? For some reason I thought they were.
Maybe but it's more temperate there for some reason.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Prescott, Prescott Valley seem to have everything you need. Chino Valley, Camp Verde, and i suppose you could even check out Strawberry and Pine. Strawberry and Pine get a lot of snow though, but if you winter in Phoenix you should be fine.
Camp Verde is too hot for her, Friday's going to be 90 and we're not even in summer yet.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,944,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Maybe but it's more temperate there for some reason.
I think you're right. I have friends down there for years and years and have spent quite a bit of time at their ranch. It always seems cooler there and, for some reason, greener. Although I think the Valley is pretty green too.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM

81 posts, read 441,057 times
Thanks for all the help.

The plan is to no longer winter in San Tan Valley (S of Phoenix). We'd like to sell both our homes and find one place to stay 365 days a year...we are nearing retirement and want to downsize to one house that is big enough for all our "junk"

Since my hubby works from home and he will continue working (only I am retiring in 2 years) we need a bit bigger place than most folks, I'm thinking around 2500 sq ft, give or take a bit, so that is why I am looking for a place where RE prices are reasonable.

I need to be near a VA medical center as I am a disabled vet and also will be retired military in 2 years, which adds a little more confusion to the mix.

Hubby needs to be near an airport if we move to AZ full time as his job is in WA although he mostly telecommutes, he will need to come back here possibly 12 times a year or so.

I wish there was some type of professional you could hire LOL to just give them your requirements and them find the right area of the country for you, alas I have never heard of anything like that :-(.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM

There are websites that do that, you fill out a questionaire and they tell you where you should be but I don't believe I'm allowed to mention it here. From what you're saying, your perfect place is probably not in AZ....it's hot here. Flag is cooler but not very nice (IMHO) and is pricey.

I work from home and live comfortably in 1400 sq. ft. , unless he's using the place for a warehouse, I'm sure you could fit into a smaller place. The AC bill for a place that size in AZ will be equivalent to a mortgage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldgrdnr View Post
Thanks for all the help.

The plan is to no longer winter in San Tan Valley (S of Phoenix). We'd like to sell both our homes and find one place to stay 365 days a year...we are nearing retirement and want to downsize to one house that is big enough for all our "junk"

Since my hubby works from home and he will continue working (only I am retiring in 2 years) we need a bit bigger place than most folks, I'm thinking around 2500 sq ft, give or take a bit, so that is why I am looking for a place where RE prices are reasonable.

I need to be near a VA medical center as I am a disabled vet and also will be retired military in 2 years, which adds a little more confusion to the mix.

Hubby needs to be near an airport if we move to AZ full time as his job is in WA although he mostly telecommutes, he will need to come back here possibly 12 times a year or so.

I wish there was some type of professional you could hire LOL to just give them your requirements and them find the right area of the country for you, alas I have never heard of anything like that :-(.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:50 PM

124 posts, read 277,673 times
You may want to take a look at BOISE, ID. I grew up in the Verde Valley but have lived in Boise since 2010.
MANY advantages:
Decent airport
VA hospital
GREAT climate - (full disclosure, this winter we had more snow and cold than ever before in recorded history but it was a complete aberration. NORMALLY it is pretty mild here.) Could be warmer than the ideal... "Boise has a semi-arid continental climate (Köppen climate classification BSk), with four distinct seasons. Boise experiences hot and dry summers with highs reaching 100 °F (38 °C) eight days in a typical year and 90 °F (32 °C) on 51 days." However, with just a handful of days in the really high temps MOST of our summers are comfortable. VERY low humidity.

It is clean, friendly, safe, has affordable housing.

I'm now looking at moving back to the Verde Valley for a job but doing so with big misgivings knowing there is much about this town I will miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona