Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:21 PM

89 posts, read 502,816 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me. I can go to sperling and see the totals but how accurate is that? I saw Flagstaff is 99 inches??? Well are they talking on the mountain tops or on the road? Also, how bad are the roads to drive from Flagstaff to Sedona? Is this a bad idea for a commute?

When does snow begin and end normally?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:58 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,289,658 times
In a normal precipitation year, yes, it would be a bad idea to commute from Flag to Sedona. (or vice versa?) When we have a really dry winter like last winter it's no big deal, but other years might be horrible. The elevation change between Flag & Sedona is over 2,000 ft so the difference in weather is significant. It might be snowing hard up in Flag and no snow in Sedona. Since we've been in a drought for over a decade, snow totals aren't like they used to be. I remember visiting my grandma in Flag one winter and the snow was over her windows!! That's unusual, but Flag can really get the snow in a wet year.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 PM

38,959 posts, read 50,883,019 times
Flagstaff can get a lot of snow at one time. In between storms lots of it melts and the days are warm and sunny. Very different from the gloomy winter in the upper midwest. The roads are pretty bad when a good storm hits. The grade coming from Flag to Sedona is very steep and slippery with snow. Often snow is preceded by light rain that freezes on the road making it doubly slick. People here are not familiar with driving in these conditions and go way too fast for their skills. There are cars all over in the ditch. But the crews are good and by the next day things (snow and wrecks) are clear.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:14 AM

Oh wow! Snow over windows? Yikes! I know I am sure there are plently of people who don't know how to drive in snow and YES they are the ones that cause most of the accidents. I'm from the midwest so I see it every year. BUT being that I am from the midwest is why I really don't want to work in a snowy area so after reading both of you posts, I am not workingin Flagstaff! Thanks for the heads up

Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,289,658 times
I am from the Midwest, too, and I would really take a Flagstaff winter over a Midwest winter anytime. For one thing, as Ponderosa mentioned, it is much sunnier in Flag. You don't have those days on end of dreary . . . and you don't have snow that turns to ice and stays from November thru March like some winters in the Midwest.

Plus you can always drive 1 to 1-1/2 hours and be in 70-degree weather.

Now I feel bad . . . I hope I haven't scared you away from Flagstaff. However, if you really hate driving in snow, then you might consider Cotonwood or Camp Verde or Prescott Valley. Prescott/Prescott Valley will get an occasional snow, but it usually melts as it hits the ground. My first winter here (Prescott area) I said to myself, "If this is what winter is like, I can hanlde this!"

Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 AM

4,408 posts, read 3,971,114 times
The last couple of years have been on the dry side. Sedona, had at best, four instances of snow last winter, and only one was of any real significance. And that I don't believe was more than a couple of inches. But it did stick around for a bit, though the roads were cleared very quickly.

Weather not withstanding, I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying to commute from Flagstaff to Sedona on a daily basis. Highway 89A through Oak Creek Canyon is a pleasant drive if you are out for a day of fun. But if it's commuting back and forth to work, the trip gets to be very trying. The road is narrow, very twisty in spots, and a bad bit of weather doesn't make it any easier.

I have work friends that do that drive everyday and it isn't something they enjoy. One in particular finally got a job in Flagstaff after commuting from there to a job in Sedona for two years. They came down for a visit and remarked that they didn't realized how awful a drive it was until they hadn't done it in awhile.

If you are going to be living in Flag, I'd really try to get a job there and save the wear and tear on your car and nerves.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 AM

648 posts, read 3,078,195 times
there have been times when flagstaff became an island because of the snow. the highways were shut down and drivers were only allowed in if they had snow tires or chains!

Old 10-13-2007, 12:01 PM

43 posts, read 296,782 times
Flagstaff winter 05.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 PM

WOW! That Flagstaff picture looks like Colorado! YIKES! No thank you!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 PM

47 posts, read 231,460 times
I remember a professor of mine at NAU lived in Sedona and commuted up. We used to love the days it would snow because he woudn't make it to class and we could hit Grannys instead.

I wouldn't make that commute during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona