Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 9,741 times

Advertisements

Okay, so it's important to preface this post with a big ole "I will visit before I move, we are in the early stages of planning and yes I'm currently reading other posts in this forum" I've had a gypsy heart for years now, and have considered places scattered about the US. I've seriously considered parts of the PNW (around the Sequim area of Washington) and Asheville, NC (visited it.. thank GOD.. because I was sorely disappointed) as well as a few places in Nevada. (Ended up deciding against NV because I couldn't find anything positive about the school systems). We aren't sure of what area we are even targeting. He has been to Sedona, and I'm intrigued by it.. we have both been through Flagstaff once; but for no amount of time. It was by far the most memorable stop we made.. the air was just so fresh. We are planning a road trip from Georgia this fall to visit his family in NV, so we are planning to stay and looking around a bit. If after reading this novel, you can point us into areas that would work for us.. that would be awesome.

A little about us. This move would not be something immediate. It will more than likely be a good year or so before we are even in a position to attempt to move. I'm 28, the fiance is 35. I'm a graphic designer (no degree) and have worked as a retail manager for years before as well. I also do freelance photography and marketing. He is currently in nursing school and hoping to become an LPN before we make the move. If for some reason that falls through, he's an excellent at manual labor and also helps out with my marketing business. He has many years as a backroom coordinator for a major retailer under his belt too. My son is 8 (as of this post) and has Asperger's syndrome as well as ADHD. He is enrolled in school online right now, and unless I find a great school that can cater to us and his needs that isn't private, that will always be my first option for him as long as scheduling allows. I attend a non-denominational Christian church, and hope that I could find one there that is a good fit as well. We have very little money right now (hence the wait) but we will not move without at least his securing a job. Once there, I still don't expect to be on the high end of the payscale.. but we're okay with that as long as we can be somewhere comfortable and reasonably "safe".

Weather: I can cover up before I can take stuff off. In my area of GA, "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute" stands. I want to be somewhere with colder temps in the winter and at least a potential for snow. With that said, a break from frigid conditions for a few months will be nice as well. I'm not a tornado fan (who is) but with our weather here, every time it rains it's a threat and I'm over it.

About what we want: He's not picky, and I'm easy to please, but there is a certain "vibe" I look for. I'm used to depressed areas, coming from the extremely poor regions of the south; so that's not something that would "shock" me-- but I'd like to get out and "live". I'm in the process of losing weight/getting healthy so I hope to be able to take advantage of the outdoors once we are there. I like going to the farmer's market, I've started to meddle about with gardening (but I am horrible at it, ha!), I'm a huge crafter and enjoy arts and whatnots. My son isn't an outdoorsman at all... so it's nice to have places to take him that isn't a park...but that is something that we hope to get him into as we both get more active. We eventually want to be a family that camps together, etc. Community theater or family friendly activities would be nice. We tend to take advantage of free things (like the Planetarium at the university, farmer's markets, free festivals, etc). Keyword, we like free activities.

First Impressions: Fiance is from Cali, so he's very west coast. He's used to the desert lifestyle. I've got a thick southern accent and you can tell I was born and raised on cornbread and biscuits. I'm accustomed to pine trees and green everywhere-- but I'm always up for an adventure and something new. My son has his own beat, and isn't very social... but we're working on that. He's played Upward soccer for a few years and liked it, and has expressed an interest in martial arts. We're both pretty introverted, but would like to really put down roots and get to know people once there.. so I'm just looking for insight into the welcoming committee. We want a place that is "easy".. laid back but plenty of things to do. We don't want to be somewhere that closes at 7 (This doesn't mean we like to party to the wee hours... we just like the option of a store to go to if we need to, etc because we are currently in a town where if you run out of milk at dinnner, you need to wait until the next morning when the stores re-open).

I'm looking for places to avoid (E, S, W, etc) as well as simple insight from folks there. Is this a fit for us or are we way off base? If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm also looking for insights on particular schools that may work for my son, job opportunities/outlook for someone like me (not really worried about the fiance finding a job)... etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,084,409 times
quick first impression is that you should look for a larger area (population) than Flag/Sedona....may not be enough jobs for you two and services for your son.........

quick second impression is that Flag/Sedona is expensive and that may be a concern for you....

take this move slow and easy....check places out first, of course....do your research....lots of choices out there

Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,366,717 times
If you can get jobs first I think you will like it. The services are there becuase of the university. NAU is not a hick school.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM

157 posts, read 570,188 times
Prescott and Flagstaff are the only small cities in Northern Arizona. Sedona and the Verde Valley together also have services if you need an urban environment. Maybe Payson might work, but that would be pushing it. Otherwise that's all there is. The rest of Northern Arizona is scattered, small, and short on services. You might find one basic hospital and Walmart in towns. I second azdr0710's advice about doing research carefully.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM

8 posts, read 22,132 times
Based on what you say you're looking for, I would think Flagstaff would be a good fit. I've lived here ten years and am currently in the process of looking to move for my own personal reasons.

Pros:
The type of climate you say you're looking for
Community feel with lots of free events year round, including Movies on the Square, Art Walks, Festivals in Wheeler Park downtown, stuff at the University, the Arboretum, the Square downtown, and Lowell Observatory
Artsy liberal vibe which encourages and supports theatre, crafts, etc
Good hiking, biking, and camping spots throughout the area
University keeps the town young and vibrant
Flagstaff Medical Center should mean it's easy for your fiance to get a job

Cons:
The school system here leaves a LOT to be desired. The only 3 elementary schools with decent test scores are Sechrist, Demiguel, and Knoles.
Cost of living

(Was going to type more but the laptop battery is about dead...) I'll try to return to this at a later time.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,129,413 times
Fly into Vegas airport , rent a camper , have a nice 2 week drive and see for yourself . I fell in love with the Colorado river , go figure .

Most cities in AZ have a small public airport , you can Jet to many big cities in a flash .
OMgoodness everything is local in AZ every town/city has its own personality! The State Government is not the Grand Poohba .

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 9,741 times
Thank you for all of the advice guys. I know I have to do my research, and I am in the process of saving so that we can make a trip up and see for ourselves because, like I said, we've been through it, but for no amount of time so I'd like to see it for myself to see how it "feels" (as crazy as that sounds). There's a few other places scattered about that we've also discussed.. but aside from a place in Washington state (because of a potential job I would be given) this is where we'd like to focus on.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 22,132 times
A few things that may surprise you about Flagstaff... We get a lot of snow, as in nearly 100 inches a year on average. It's not like it probably is in other parts of the country where you're under snow for months at a time. We'll get a big storm, get 18" of snow dumped on us, and it'll melt off a week or two later just in time for another big storm to come through. Winters here are sunny, windy, and brown.

Shopping and fine dining are very limited. The nearest big city is a 2 hour drive away, so it can feel very secluded.

There's a relaxed feel for sure, and people are generally friendly and open. Very laid back way of life.

Lots of drunks and transients. I've never felt in danger anywhere in town, but dealing with drunks and the homeless is a part of life here.

The local economy is depressed and nepotism is rampant here.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,366,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norraa View Post
A few things that may surprise you about Flagstaff... We get a lot of snow, as in nearly 100 inches a year on average. It's not like it probably is in other parts of the country where you're under snow for months at a time. We'll get a big storm, get 18" of snow dumped on us, and it'll melt off a week or two later just in time for another big storm to come through. Winters here are sunny, windy, and brown.

Shopping and fine dining are very limited. The nearest big city is a 2 hour drive away, so it can feel very secluded.

There's a relaxed feel for sure, and people are generally friendly and open. Very laid back way of life.

Lots of drunks and transients. I've never felt in danger anywhere in town, but dealing with drunks and the homeless is a part of life here.

The local economy is depressed and nepotism is rampant here.
There is a good variety of eateries, but the rest is all true. Most people are not aware of the snowfall at over 7,000 feet. It's not exactly what you expect for a desert. For some breathing is an issue also. Great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona