Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM

41 posts, read 211,215 times

Advertisements

no need to apologize-sorry i realized after i re-read that the tone came across sounding snooty lol..and you're right,typically retail doesn't..but i've been with the company a while so i'm doing alright-still not as good as some and recently tj's made some adjustments to their healthcare requirements regarding hrs,etc....i appreciate the info. about the freeways and such, I think I'll apply for jobs at the university first and see what happens, thanks adventure girl..how long have you lived in flagstaff? i loved it there and am excited about moving. either way i will be living on a tight budget the first 6 months..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 06:13 PM

41 posts, read 211,215 times
p.s. google maps lists flagstaff to prescott as 1 hr and 41 minutes..is that accurate?? how bad would traffic be?? if az is more spread out...would there be a lot of commuter traffic going back and forth that way or is 17 pretty slow?? typically

Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 PM

3,612 posts, read 7,953,962 times
> 1 hr and 41 minutes..is that accurate??

In good weather, I think so. I have never seen much traffic on I17. Most of 89 is very rural, although there are a couple of towns. Outside of the towns, 75 on I17 and 60 or so on 89 would not be irresponsible. (In good weather, that is).

There are no commuters. Locals, and long-distance trucks. You really need to get out and see. It is nothing like the east.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,089,514 times
not trying to be a pessimistic cynical a-hole, but commuting from Flag to Prescott for a TJ's-type job, while going to school, doing homework, and sleeping is not a good idea at all....very few people commute between the major cities out here.....compared to back east, distances are great between any kind of settlement.....though pay will be low because thousands of other students are looking for jobs, too, I'd just get a simple job along Milton, downtown, or at the school....you can walk/bike between all those locations and not worry about a long commute (4+ hrs RT!!) or the weather....lots of students have jobs like that up there....in fact, when TJ's in Prescott hears you'll be coming from Flag every workday, they may balk....

save up your money, live frugally, enjoy the Flag activities, and snow ski, swim, and play golf in the same day!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:26 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,251,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerpaige84 View Post
thanks adventure girl..how long have you lived in flagstaff? i loved it there and am excited about moving. either way i will be living on a tight budget the first 6 months..
I don't live in Flag, personally I don't like it there so I live in the Verde Valley. I've been in the area off and on since 2002 but prefer lower elevations and the temperatures and weather that goes a along with them.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 PM

12 posts, read 17,528 times
Exclamation Don't even think about commuting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerpaige84 View Post
I'll be moving to Flagstaff next Fall to attend N.A.U. I am thrilled at the prospect of living in Flag but was disappointed to hear that the closest Trader Joe's is almost 2 hours away in Prescott!..I have worked for TJ's for three years and was hoping to stay with the company for benefits purposes. I am willing to branch out and try something new,but will be without job security initially..Does anyone know of any commuter services(I checked amtrak and didn't see anything about commutes between these places) that isn't strictly private commuter service that's going to charge an arm and a leg to get back and forth??I won't be bringing my car with me as it is very old and unpredictable at times..Wish I could afford to sit on my hands waiting for a TJ's to open in Flag or nearby to Flag but doesn't sound like it will anytime in the near future.

Regards.
There's no commuting between Prescott & Flagstaff or Prescott & Sedona. There's a mountain range between them. Its wind-y & steep & can be hazardous in the best of times. In high winds, rain or snow, forget it. You could take the highway but even it can be tricky as it is filled at times with truck traffic. Commuting is out!

Old 06-15-2014, 11:21 PM

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
not trying to be a pessimistic cynical a-hole, but commuting from Flag to Prescott for a TJ's-type job, while going to school, doing homework, and sleeping is not a good idea at all....very few people commute between the major cities out here.....compared to back east, distances are great between any kind of settlement.....though pay will be low because thousands of other students are looking for jobs, too, I'd just get a simple job along Milton, downtown, or at the school....you can walk/bike between all those locations and not worry about a long commute (4+ hrs RT!!) or the weather....lots of students have jobs like that up there....in fact, when TJ's in Prescott hears you'll be coming from Flag every workday, they may balk....

save up your money, live frugally, enjoy the Flag activities, and snow ski, swim, and play golf in the same day!
Flagstaff is more interesting.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,538,225 times
I'm getting a job in Flagstaff and the activities here are unbelievable. The arts, hiking, the Snow bowl, Williams (my wife and I are looking at a house there now), the Grand Canyon, which is my favorite, all the stores and restaurants(there are many), county fairs, hiking-of which there plenty of opportunities. It does look like we'll never get to all of the things that are there to do.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,984,409 times
Williams impressed me too. I guess because Willaims is a gateway to the Grand Canyon you get a big influx of tourist there, and the down town for a small town (at least when I was there) had a lot of energy and quite a lot of restaurants that seemed to be the kind I like to eat at. But...be warned. I hear during Winter it can be a dead zone and treacherous getting around. I'd talk with the locals a lot and maybe rent for a year before buying a house.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:19 AM

Unhappy Weather is the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'm getting a job in Flagstaff and the activities here are unbelievable. The arts, hiking, the Snow bowl, Williams (my wife and I are looking at a house there now), the Grand Canyon, which is my favorite, all the stores and restaurants(there are many), county fairs, hiking-of which there plenty of opportunities. It does look like we'll never get to all of the things that are there to do.
I'd relocate there myself but so much cold weather. And cold nights. Not sure that I could handle the dryness, winds, bright sun and cold long winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona