Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,766 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Sunday night (mar 23) myself and the fiancé fly into Phoenix. I was thinking of taking us hiking on Monday. I was reading other posts and have now been contemplating these two scenarios:

Drive up to Sedona Sunday night, leave early morning to visit the Grand Canyon on Monday. Stay the night and go back to Phoenix Tuesday morning.

Or

Stay the night in Phoenix Sunday and make the drive in the morning to a Sedona trail (saw one poster say good things about a brins Mesa trail) stay the night and come back Tuesday to Phoenix.

I've actually been to both when I was there for work in 2010 although the GC I'd like to see again as for some reason I wasn't as in awe as I thought I would've been, maybe I didn't see the best area?

Anywho, thanks in advance and either way look forward to some hiking and spring training baseball!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Hi all,

Sunday night (mar 23) myself and the fiancé fly into Phoenix. I was thinking of taking us hiking on Monday. I was reading other posts and have now been contemplating these two scenarios:

Drive up to Sedona Sunday night, leave early morning to visit the Grand Canyon on Monday. Stay the night and go back to Phoenix Tuesday morning.

Or

Stay the night in Phoenix Sunday and make the drive in the morning to a Sedona trail (saw one poster say good things about a brins Mesa trail) stay the night and come back Tuesday to Phoenix.

I've actually been to both when I was there for work in 2010 although the GC I'd like to see again as for some reason I wasn't as in awe as I thought I would've been, maybe I didn't see the best area?

Anywho, thanks in advance and either way look forward to some hiking and spring training baseball!
The weather at that time is going to be the deciding factor; best to wait and see and then make your decision.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:45 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,927,255 times
The drive up to Sedona is not all that long but pretty dark and lonely at night. If you are at all sleepy when you arrive you might not want to do this.

At the canyon- if there is snow- it might be particularly scenic (the webcam doesn't show any right now). If it's cold up there it can be very cold and windy. Maybe not the best time to visit.

Brins Mesa is nice; also consider Chicken Point from either side, also new trails on the Yavapai Point side of the highway in VOC.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:54 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,766 times
That's true, I forgot about the weather as it might be chilly once you make it up north. What's VOC rational?

Thank you again for the info. I def don't mind either but I know the fiancé may want to see the Grand Canyon more since she's never been. But, we might move out there so I don't think it's a huge deal.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 AM

24,478 posts, read 26,017,453 times
^^ VOC = Village Of Oak Creek.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,054 times
We are considering a trip to Las Vegas and Sedona in mid September. Is the weather pretty good at that time of the year. Also staying in Vegas for 4 nights and driving to Sedona for 7 nights. Should we go to Grand Canyon before Sedona or take the train from Williams to Grand Canyon later. Just trying to determine if driving to Grand Canyon is best or other transportation?? We just need some good advice on taking this trip, time, what is best to see? staying in Sedona?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:49 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,927,255 times
Weather in September will be warm to hot, depending on altitude and your luck. You may get some monsoon weather which has advantages (spectacular clouds) and disadvantages (high humidity for this part of the country).

I have not taken the train myself to the GC. Depends on how much you like trains. I'm guessing it's slow. It is possible to stay overnight close to the GC even if not at one of the hotels in the park (Tusayan).

Sedona should be reasonably pleasant although you will be toward the end of the hot season (although nowhere near as hot as Vegas).

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Not sure why you are staying in Sedona for a week, unless you are planning on a lot of little side day trips. I'd use part of that time on the Canyon. Yes, you could take the train, and it's a nice ride, there are packages you can get with lodging, I think, or you can just drive there, in which case you can stay at one of the motels just outside the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona