U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 PM

498 posts, read 925,583 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at going to school in Flagstaff. I'd be using GI Bill benefits so tuition would be covered and I'd receive a $1551 monthly stipend. Main expenses would be rent+utils, internet access, food, and gas. Would $1551/mo cover this easily, or would I be scraping by each month? I don't intend to have a job on top of school so there wouldn't be any extra income. I'll get a roommate if I have to, but I'd rather not. A small studio would be fine for me, and I don't go out much so there won't be a lot of social life expenses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 PM

4,221 posts, read 13,443,883 times
best of luck with school....make it work for you!.....and thanks for your service

I believe minimum monthly rentals in Flag are around $600 or so, if you're lucky, for a smallish single-person studio...maybe less for a real junker farther from school.....if you get a roommate, that could help, but can be hard to find a good one, of course....have you considered a dorm?....I know a dorm comes with its own challenges, though, and may not be an utter bargain.....

utilities + internet might run another $100+++/month....and you'll have to manage the food and gas expenses to your advantage.....if you live near campus, you can walk or use the good public transport available near NAU and downtown.....learn to cook at home....buy food wisely, all that stuff....

I think you could make 1551/month work, but you'll need to make a strict budget....housing is going to be a biiiigggg chunk of it.....

Old 11-28-2014, 12:46 AM

7,315 posts, read 9,081,646 times
It would just about cover my bar tab, for one night.

It will probably allow you to scrape by, maybe with some part time work.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 PM

200 posts, read 378,390 times
Not sure , but just wanted to say thank you for your service.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:18 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,926,004 times
My son is in a 2 br apt. close to campus. He pays 700 plus utilities. I'd think if you have no debt to service and that 1500 a month is free and clear you could do it. Dorms for older students are available but not really any cheaper than apartments.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:44 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,800,159 times
$1551 is plenty, as long as you don't splurge at the bars every night.

The big question is on or off campus. On campus, there's dorms and apartments. I forget exactly how much they were, but it worked out to around $700 or $750 / month. Living on campus is nice, because it includes all utilities, cable, and internet. Downside is that they kick you out for a month in the winter (there's optional winter housing, I believe, but they condense everyone into one or two halls), and only two halls are open in the summer... requires a lot of bouncing around between rooms. A big plus is being right on campus -- you can walk everywhere, and really have no need for a car. The apartments have their own kitchens, and all the dorms have communal kitchens, if you don't want a meal plan. Target is right off campus, really easy walk. Busses are free around campus, and the #10 and #10A bus is free for students anywhere in town (also only city bus that goes through campus). Friday and Saturday nights there's a "drunk bus" that shuttles between downtown and campus. Literally no reason to take on car expenses if you're living on campus.

Off campus, there's two options: Be within walking / biking distance (southside, downtown area, a few apartment complexes) or have to commute in.

If you're within walking distance, expect to pay more for less space. Southside is sort of a "student slum" for lack of a better phrase. Small, older homes, but the location is perfect. Unfortunately there's not really a single property management company or anything -- it's all private rentals. And they come and go so quick, it's pretty hard to find a space. Honestly, craigslist is your best bet to find a room for rent. If you're close to campus, again no point in taking on car expenses. Rent will be about $600-700 / room, but you'll have to pay for your own utilities. Plenty of grocery stores, and you're right between campus and downtown.

Commuting distance, you'll be able to find cheaper options -- BUT you'll most likely want to own a car (there's a few bus lines, and the bus system in Flagstaff is actually pretty decent, but a car is much easier for daily commuting). Expect anywhere from $300-$600 / room, depending on quality, size, and location. Car expenses really depend on what you drive -- is it paid off? What kind of fuel economy? How much is insurance? These are questions only you can really answer. Keep in mind, it snows a fair amount in Flagstaff in the winter. They're pretty good at plowing, but I'd highly suggest winter tires (designed for optimal performance in cold weather -- <45 degrees -- not just on snow and ice) -- just keep in mind there'll be other expenses you might not be used to. Parking on campus varies. I have a pass for the garage, and it was something like $500 for the year.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona