Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 AM

2 posts, read 9,244 times

Advertisements

I have recently been accepted into graduate school in Flagstaff. I will be moving there around July or August and will be looking for a very simple and quiet place to rent. In the past, I have enjoyed renting the basement or an attached portion of someone's house. I do not have a car; therefore, I will need to find a place very close to walk to campus. I would like to live alone in either a one bedroom, studio apartment, or renting from a family.

If anyone knows of any very quiet and reasonable places within walking distance to campus....please feel free to pass on any information to me. Please also recommend any good apartment buildings or places to rent. I would like to find something very economical - especially if I could rent a private area from a family.

In addition, I would like to learn more from anyone who has been or is a graduate student in Flagstaff. I do understand that it has a large undergraduate population; therefore, it would be extremely helpful to hear insight from anyone who is a graduate student.

I have lived in Missoula, MT, and have heard many people refer to Missoula as the sister city of Flagstaff.

Please let me know if you are aware of anyone who will be looking to rent to a quiet graduate student around July or August.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM

148 posts, read 847,472 times
Default I am a graduate of NAU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
I have recently been accepted into graduate school in Flagstaff. I will be moving there around July or August and will be looking for a very simple and quiet place to rent. In the past, I have enjoyed renting the basement or an attached portion of someone's house. I do not have a car; therefore, I will need to find a place very close to walk to campus. I would like to live alone in either a one bedroom, studio apartment, or renting from a family.

If anyone knows of any very quiet and reasonable places within walking distance to campus....please feel free to pass on any information to me. Please also recommend any good apartment buildings or places to rent. I would like to find something very economical - especially if I could rent a private area from a family.

In addition, I would like to learn more from anyone who has been or is a graduate student in Flagstaff. I do understand that it has a large undergraduate population; therefore, it would be extremely helpful to hear insight from anyone who is a graduate student.

I have lived in Missoula, MT, and have heard many people refer to Missoula as the sister city of Flagstaff.

Please let me know if you are aware of anyone who will be looking to rent to a quiet graduate student around July or August.

Thank you very much.
Hi Kaia:

I went to undergrad and grad school at NAU but that was a long time ago (graduated in 2000 with a master's degree in physical therapy). I am sure a lot has changed since I have been up there but when I was, rent was extremely expensive. Without a car it is imperative that you live very close to campus. In the snow it can be quite treacherous to walk to class. There are some apartments right on the outskirts of campus but they know they can charge a lot because everyone wants to be right by school. Depending on what program you are in I am guessing most of your classes will be in the same area. I know for me all of my graduate classes were in the same building. I would maybe check Craigs list to see if anyone up there is offering a room for rent. I think that is a great idea. I think there might also be graduate school dorms. I never stayed in the dorms so I am not sure.

I have never been to Missoula but have been to Bozeman and thought Bozeman and Flagstaff were very similar. Flagstaff is a small college town surrounded by beautiful mountains. I love Flagstaff and if it wasn't so expensive I would so rather live there than down here in Phoenix. I am so grateful for the experience of going to school in Flag. The summer up there are so beautiful so you are moving at a perfect time.

Good luck to you and let me know if I can help you out with anything else.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,197 times
Kaia;

I lived in Flag and taught at NAU for a few years, leaving in 2003. Rent is very high in Flagstaff. I moved to Flagstaff from Bozeman in 1999; in Bozeman I lived in a four bedroom, four bathroom townhouse with 3 room mates, and we paid $1100 a month in rent. In Flagstaff, I rented a 1 bedroom apartment for $680 a month. And, it wasn't a high-end apartment either...just an average place.

There is university housing near the campus, on the western side. I don't remember the costs, but it generally was a bit less than what was being offered on the market by private renters. You might want to check with the graduate school office to see if they have any information about university housing.

A good friend of mine lived in a small studio apartment just a few blocks east of campus. I cannot remember the name of the complex, but the rent was really cheap, when compared with most places.

In general, if you can find a room mate or two, that will help, as you can rent a larger place for less cost (per person). Flagstaff is a great place to live, but it is very expensive. Be prepared for the sticker shock, and good luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 PM

26 posts, read 158,670 times
i dont know if your male or female but if your female you will probably have an easier time finding a room to rent in someones house, and as everyone has already told you rent here is expencive. the cheepest places i can think of to rent thats close to NAU are these really rundown apartments called the sante fe west apartments and a studio will cost you around $555. then theres millpond village apartments wich are manufacured duplex type thingys and i think 1 bedrooms go for around $600 a month. goodluck.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM

634 posts, read 2,345,386 times
I found a really good deal through a local property manager - Levitan Investment Properties (LIPS, for short). I lived downtown, with only a few blocks to the north side of NAU's campus, but it wasn't exactly quiet, especially on weekends. I really enjoyed the vibrancy of the area, bars and all.

Here's the website: Flagstaff Rental Apartments

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona