Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times

Advertisements

"Quality of life" is pretty vague. Define it?
I live about 40 minutes from Sedona and don't go there more than 3-4 times a year as its "quality of life" is distinctly NOT my quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 04:16 PM

138 posts, read 387,945 times
Back on point - my wife and I love it here. There is a lot to do (if you enjoy the outdoors) and it's a short trip to many other areas for a nice vacation. We have a newborn son (6 weeks now) and look forward to raising him here.

There are some negatives - no nightlife (we outgrew that a while ago), not a lot of 'younger' folks (sub 55...) though it seems to be getting better, very few jobs that pay well, and costly housing. Of course the biggest problem is the tourists. I see them lined up for miles on 179 on the weekends and just have to shake my head. Since I'm usually on my bike, I don't worry about getting stuck on the road but I can't believe how much traffic we get starting on Thursday evening and heading out on Sundays. They drive around hanging their phones out the window, driving in the bike lane and are generally lost (in a town with 2 main roads...). The 2nd biggest problem is the old people They really need to implement a senior driving test... In many ways, Sedona is a place where people go to die.

We live in the VOC near Big Park school, which is a highly rated school and away from a lot of the tourist BS. We rarely go up to West Sedona since Cottonwood has most of the stores we need and with traffic it's about the same travel time. Despite the negatives I mention above, it's a great place to live.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 AM

122 posts, read 112,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
"Quality of life" is pretty vague. Define it?
I live about 40 minutes from Sedona and don't go there more than 3-4 times a year as its "quality of life" is distinctly NOT my quality of life.
Ditto, although I am more like an hour and a half away. I go there to play golf, then turn around and come back. It is, to my mind, poorly laid out and an example of the worst sort of tourist trap, overlaid with a thick veneer of phony New Age silliness. What Sedona has evolved to over the past 45 years is simply depressing to me.

Your larger point is well-taken. I happen to think my crummy little town has a wonderful quality of life. Anyone who thinks Sedona has a wonderful quality of life would be suicidal here. It all depends on how you define quality of life. Secondarily, it all depends on what you can afford. If I could live in Sedona or Maui without having to deal on a daily basis with the hordes of tourists and all the traffic and silliness that surrounds them (a difficult trick unless your income is about 10 times mine, and mine is well above average), I would probably think the quality of life was OK. I have friends who could afford any of the nicer homes in my town yet choose to rent in Sedona and exist on the economic fringes of what Sedona has to offer; apparently the "psychic benefits" of living in Sedona outweigh the things that I believe actually constitute "quality of life."

Editing this to add: Most of the people I know who think Sedona is "fabulous" are coming from L.A. or Newark, so perhaps it is fabulous in comparison. As a native Arizonan, my frame of reference is considerably different.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
We were in Sedona last year, mid-September, midweek. The scenery is stunning, no doubt about that, but a pilot friend points out you can see that from the air.

The sheer volume and slowness of traffic was enough to convince us we didn't want to live there or even spend the night. We went to Flag instead.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Default Has the traffic gotten worse?

My husband and I have been there 3 times between 2005 and 2011 around our anniversary in late October which of course is a popular time especially for the empty nest crowd when the kiddies are back in school and the weather is great. However, we've always arranged to be there mid week so haven't experienced the extreme crowds and traffic. (saying this of course we live in the traffic hell of So. Cal, so it may be our perspective) True it was "busy", but has it gotten prohibitively bad even during the week in the past few years?

Even though I'm somewhat used to crowds and traffic, there comes a point where it's just insane. We experienced going to Las Vegas once on a Memorial weekend for example... never again!! Lol!

Old 11-08-2015, 02:28 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
(saying this of course we live in the traffic hell of So. Cal, so it may be our perspective)
You might just be a tiny bit desensitized to traffic.

I lived in Southern California for several decades prior to 1989. The SoCal traffic is much worse now than it was then. And I could see that happening to Sedona, too, in the future. I'm sure the locals know how to get around well enough and always will. But I don't want to deal with it.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,360 times
Why is Sedona so newagey? What is it about Sedona that attracts new age culture?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Why is Sedona so newagey? What is it about Sedona that attracts new age culture?
self-perpetuating marketing, money, sheeple, local promotion......and, apparently, a Sedona realtor in the 1950s

Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
self-perpetuating marketing, money, sheeple, local promotion......and, apparently, a Sedona realtor in the 1950s
Interesting. It's weird that those rumors kind of stuck around!

I read somewhere that during Y2K, a bunch of people went to one of the "vortices" in Sedona and waited there for a UFO to land and take them away to a more enlightened world...! What did they expect the next morning when no UFO came? Yet, every year, there are still people who return there waiting for a space ship to land on new years eve and take them away to a more enlightened planet.... Every year, they are "stood up" by the aliens.

It's incredible that we are in the year 2015 and people still believe in this.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
I've never had such bizarre encounters as in Sedona. The best being when my cousin and mom went up to Sedona and they had bought a glass mug. My cousin pulled it out but alongside it the woman that wrapped her mug had wrapped up her half nibbled pizza crusts and placed them in the bag as well... We got a good laugh out of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona