Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:29 AM

251 posts, read 168,806 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating from Las Vegas to Flaggstaff,

Havnt done a winter in the mountains

I wear shorts all year long and snowfall is something
you only see at the movie theater lol

If someone would like to share that list of yours " things to
bring " I would be truely grateful

I will be traveling to do service work on homes and businesses,

I will be outside working at times,

Also basic cost of heating a 1 bdrm apt

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 AM

98 posts, read 362,909 times
Winter is easy to deal with. You'll be fine.
The key is to have "layers" of clothing. When driving you will be nice & toasty and when you exit-put on the jacket, gloves, knit cap.
In addition, after a few weeks you'll become acclimatized to the altitude (might notice it will be a bit harder to do your normal workout).
I've lived in Vegas' and it does get cold on occasion...

Last edited by Mt.Mahn; 09-27-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 08:17 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
You are in for a surprise.
Cold winds can hit Flagstaff on a regular basis and according to a friend that was born and raised there about every 6-10 years they can get a really hard snowstorm that leaves drifts all over town and the surrounding area.
He said that he was so tired of being cold all the time that he relocated to Tucson and is still there.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:27 AM

Thanks much for your input

easy enough to dress in layers,

It's the commuting that concerns me.

I will.be traveling all year so I hope the interstates and residential streets are well maintained.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:06 PM

The 40 & 17 can close during a severe snow storm. AZ DOT does a fantastic job clearing the roads. City of Flagstaff/Coconino County also does a good job as well.
Make sure to have a good set of tires on your rig-very important. Other than that, take you time driving, brake early when coming to a stop and be aware of "ice" on the roads.
Hope you enjoy Flagstaff-plenty of outdoor activities. I'm looking forward to the first snow dump... Then the slopes open:-)

Old 09-28-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Mahn View Post
The 40 & 17 can close during a severe snow storm. AZ DOT does a fantastic job clearing the roads. City of Flagstaff/Coconino County also does a good job as well.
Make sure to have a good set of tires on your rig-very important. Other than that, take you time driving, brake early when coming to a stop and be aware of "ice" on the roads.
Hope you enjoy Flagstaff-plenty of outdoor activities. I'm looking forward to the first snow dump... Then the slopes open:-)
What type if tires are you running so I can pull up a pic ?

Just like an idea for tread design

thanks ,

Old 09-28-2016, 05:22 PM

What type of vehicle will you be driving? SUV, Truck, Sedan?

Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM

Pick up truck

unfortunately 2wd

Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 AM

IMHO-My "go to" tire is the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2 (load range E). Terrific traction in all conditions. I use these tires on my trucks (two). Never failed me....
Hope this info helps.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:21 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Mahn View Post
IMHO-My "go to" tire is the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2 (load range E). Terrific traction in all conditions. I use these tires on my trucks (two). Never failed me....
Hope this info helps.
Ditto the BFGs. They're all we use on our Honda, Subaru and Chevy pickup. We live in Verde Valley but go to Flagstaff often in the winter. Road closures are not uncommon along 40 east and west of town and I17 south, and black ice can be a problem on the 40. The biggest issue traveling around Flagstaff in the winter is all the flatlanders from Phoenix who come to play and ski; who drive in snow maybe three times a year and think they have a god-given right to go the posted speeds when the roads are icy and restricted.
2WD pickups can be dicey. A few bags of play sand in the rear helps traction.

Get some long pants and a coat, maybe some socks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona