Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,090 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Flagstaff for three years now, and even in that short amount of time, it seems to me like the amount of homeless people (especially in the summers for obvious reasons) has gone up dramatically.

In addition, it seems to me in general that the homeless folks are getting more and more violent and disruptive.

Just in the past few weeks alone, I've had a guy grab my shirt and try to start fighting me, seen a completely naked man at the bus stop, and just yesterday had another homeless guy threaten over and over to shoot me (he didn't actually have a gun, but it was still annoying). I was also in a restaurant recently on the south side when a drunk homeless guy came in and caused a huge, angry scene. Also I saw that one of the new stores over on San Fran got their window busted out by someone throwing a brick through it. Also what someone did to that Poem Booth that was outside of Macy's is just absurd.

I hang out downtown a lot and it seems like the amount of homeless people, especially crazy ones, is just absolutely STAGGERING these days.

It gets really old being asked for money, drugs and cigarettes every block you walk down, or just spouted random garbledy-**** at by a crazy person. Or even just having to step around passed out homeless folks on the sidewalks or benches.

Has anyone else noticed this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:23 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,216,835 times
Around the South Milton area (Target, Wal-Mart, Denny's, Burger King, etc.) I really haven't noticed any increase in the homeless population. And that's the area where I most often frequent. Maybe they prefer the Downtown area?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
I don't let the presence (or lack of) homeless people bother me.....they are in some of the wealthiest cities of the world.....

Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
I haven't really noticed a change, but supposedly the number is increasing. At least that's what I keep hearing. The number is a guesstimate at best, though.

The poem booth dumping and the brick through the window are vandalism, but were they done by homeless people? I see where it's an easy assumption to make, but it could have been drunk college students, who have been known to do crazier things than that.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:43 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
maybe some redneck NAU Forestry student thought a "poem booth" was a little bit too Age Of Aquarius??!!.....

Old 09-01-2016, 05:03 PM

36 posts, read 42,707 times
Yes, I was wondering about that connection to the homeless on your mentioned poem booth and brick. As a homeless person here in town, let me just say that we aren't all bad. Quite the contrary: I've never been in a city anywhere in the world where I was more in danger being a pedestrian on the streets. I've already been tagged once here (they tried to leave, but I wouldn't let them, but then I had to because the police weren't interested in coming out for a pedestrian accident), been given the finger and vulgarities countless times while crossing the streets (yes, I always cross on the green) and again today had a car come within an inch of running me over because of course you guys have somewhere very important to get to and saving three seconds is vital to your lives.

As for us, yes, I feel like I'm in California. Didn't know there were going to be so many homeless here (wouldn't have come if I had). If you were to meet me in the supermarket or some other place, you'd never know I was homeless. Same with some of the others I've met here, though too many are either begging or just wasting their days away in the park. Sorry I'm abusing you visually as you watch me walk down the street, but I am a human being - just with a different life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona