Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 PM

225 posts, read 141,928 times

Advertisements

Agree with others that Flag, Sedona and Prescott were nicer places to live ten, fifteen years ago. Experienced that firsthand. However have no doubt some old timers would say something like, "Flagstaff, Sedona and Prescott were nicer places back before you moved here." When I moved to Cottonwood, there was no Walmart, no Home Depot and Old Town was looking pretty drab. Arizona places I know that changed the least in past fifteen years include Cornville, Camp Verde and Clarkdale. Didn't add Cottonwood to list of Verde Valley C-towns because Cottonwood seems to have grown the most. Wonder how many abandoned Flag and Prescott areas for Cottonwood? Before leaving Central Arizona for 'burbs north of Atlanta (to be here for elderly parents), knew more than few who fled Flag and Prescott Valley for Verde Valley. They didn't like changes they were seeing. Such a pity the high buildings they put in on road through Flag. It just made me sick seeing it. I am no fan of that shop and restaurants (Whole Foods, REI, and so on) complex near NAU housing either. Seems popular place with students to take their out-of-town parents to grab a bite. Won't knock Wildflower Bread though. They were one of few somewhat affordable dining places in Sedona and Prescott that were consistent, and the Prescott location was popular breakfast gathering place for us seniors to met up. The Prescott Mall though was on it's last legs it seems. Like so many malls across the US. Too bad. It's especially nice to have an indoor space to walk a few miles for exercise. If you go watch out for people distracted on their smartphones. They'll plow right into you. Better than getting hit by a smartphone distracted driver though. Have a nice safe Labor Day everyone, and hope you don't have to work and can spend quality time with the family.

Last edited by trouillot; 09-01-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 06:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 748,835 times
I know a couple who are trying to convince me to move to Flagstaff but I really don't want to live anywhere in Arizona. It's between Nevada and California, and the Cali desert is winning so far.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:46 PM

15,810 posts, read 6,635,762 times
Just chanced along this post.
First time in Flagstaff was 1986. I said to myself............whoah.......what a place this would be to retire.
High elevation, 4 seasons ( beautiful weather )...............and then just read all about the urban sprawl............
What a shame...................Well.....got to scratch this one off the list...................

Old 09-02-2019, 10:08 AM

225 posts, read 141,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
First time in Flagstaff was 1986. I said to myself............whoah.......what a place this would be to retire.
High elevation, 4 seasons ( beautiful weather )...............and then just read all about the urban sprawl............
What a shame...................Well.....got to scratch this one off the list...................
More than a few spoke of Boise as place to retire up to 2005 or thereabouts. These days unless well-to-do, Boise another in expanding list of places to maybe rule out.

Last edited by trouillot; 09-02-2019 at 10:20 AM..

Old 09-03-2019, 02:41 PM

433 posts, read 447,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I know a couple who are trying to convince me to move to Flagstaff but I really don't want to live anywhere in Arizona. It's between Nevada and California, and the Cali desert is winning so far.
Why? The California desert is hotter than Flagstaff, hosts some of the worst air pollution in the U.S., is crazy crowded just about everywhere, AND you have to pay California taxes... how would the California desert win anything beyond the "best place to drive through and never dwell" award?

Old 09-03-2019, 04:41 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,463,858 times
I am quite intrigued by Flagstaff and have considered moving there several times. I just wish the wages in the area were better. I even considered flying into Vegas or Phx for work every other week, but too much of a hassle.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,046,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Maybe you should visit there first before making up your mind?
Flagstaff only has about 70,000 people, the urban sprawl there isn't really that bad, at least nowhere close to other cities I've lived in.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:52 PM

288 posts, read 720,328 times
The one time I applied for a local government job requiring actual skills in the area I was told there were over 70 people applying. They specifically told me much of them were Californians or from there and that this has only started in the past decade. After learning that I realized Flagstaff was ruined as far as living goes.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 49,130 times
Amazing how many posts in this thread are from people trying to move here complaining about other people that are trying to move here.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:10 PM

88 posts, read 87,031 times
To riff on Clyde and others? At least Flag has a big enough population to absorb some of the burden of being Californicated. Imagine, oh, say, Taos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona