Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:33 AM

63 posts, read 182,985 times

Advertisements

My wife and young children are considering moving to Sedona in the near future. We are conservative, Republican, Christian, patriotic Americans. We are looking for a small Pleasantville or Truman Show type of city to raise our children in... somewhere with safety, community, and a sense of unity and shared values. We don't want to live in the big cities as those are abjectly unsafe these days. And we're not quite at the "living on a farm" stage in life.

How is it living in Sedona? Will it match what we are looking for? Is it also moving in the Leftward direction like much of the country is? For example, their recent ruling about letting workers sleep in their cars in a parking lot is worrisome. (I'm trying hard not to violate the guidelines here about political postings.)

Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 03:27 PM
Status: "Waiting for the rattlesnakes to emerge" (set 23 hours ago)

49 posts, read 97,421 times
Default Reconsider

For the reasons you have stated for the move, please reconsider. Sedona is as close to being a 100% tourist town as you can get. This is well known and commented on continuously in local news as well as nationally. They closed the only elementary school here in the Village of Oak Creek for lack of students. The educational system in Sedona is rated at the bottom of the scale. Traffic on the severely limited roads is normally bumper to bumper during the week and on weekends becomes a parking lot. Jobs, of course, are mostly hospitality related to accommodate the hundred or so restaurants and lodging businesses. Real estate, whether land, homes or rental have escalated to the point of approaching the highest in the country.

I have lived here foe 20 years and watched this rural town turn into alnost another typical American strip town. Sorry for all the negativity but it's not going to get any better because the Sedona area has gone past the point of no return.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:41 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothario View Post
My wife and young children are considering moving to Sedona in the near future. We are conservative, Republican, Christian, patriotic Americans. We are looking for a small Pleasantville or Truman Show type of city to raise our children in... somewhere with safety, community, and a sense of unity and shared values. We don't want to live in the big cities as those are abjectly unsafe these days. And we're not quite at the "living on a farm" stage in life.

How is it living in Sedona? Will it match what we are looking for? Is it also moving in the Leftward direction like much of the country is? For example, their recent ruling about letting workers sleep in their cars in a parking lot is worrisome. (I'm trying hard not to violate the guidelines here about political postings.)

Thank you for your input
Look further west into Prescott Valley, we're one of the top 5 safest cities/towns in the state.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:

Thank you for your input
You will be better off in Gilbert or Queen Creek. More of what you're looking for.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:16 PM

1,044 posts, read 540,089 times
Quote:

Thank you for your input
The way Sedona is laid out, traffic is an issue. Lots of tourists also, if that bothers you.

It is a naturally beautiful place, but housing is expensive. As far as politics, the county supervisor from Sedona was the only one in Yavapai county to recently vote to make the county a sanctuary county for illegal migrants. I dont know how reflective of the populace her vote is though, but the allowing homeless to camp in cars you mentioned is another indicator perhaps.

That said, I find almost everybody around this area to be friendly, and most people dont "peacock" their political leanings like in some places.

I believe the "quad cities" of Prescott, Prescott Valley, Dewey-Humbolt, and Chino Valley may be more of what you are looking for, and likely more affordable than Sedona in many places.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2024, 07:13 AM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
My aunt used to live in the Village of Oak Creek. Many would consider that to be the same as Sedona, but from what I understand there is more of a community feel there as they limit residences that can be Air B and Bs while Sedona has way too many Air B and Bs now that has turned off people who want to live in s residential community.

I am just an occasional visitor so you would get better information from residents and others that live nearby, but I thought the Village of Oak Creek was so cute and stunning. I think though it's more likely to have affluent retirees vs. young families. Others here though said that they closed an elementary school and traffic is really bad there too, so probably not what you are looking for. Tourists have invaded cute little rural towns of the past as population has grown and more and more people can afford to travel.

Prices in Sedona I understand continue to sky rocket, as the Air B and B business model and revenues from that vs. value as a residence are what are influencing prices (this is just what people who live in the area have told me, so please note that the information I am giving is second hand, not first hand.) Find out what people more in the know say. I'd explore the areas others have mentioned, but if in the area you could take a look at the Village of Oak Creek too. It sounds like from other posters that this area has the same issues Sedona has. In my aunt's case going back a lot of year, it was a beautiful place to retire and live.

Last edited by Kathy884; 04-21-2024 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-21-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridzona View Post
For the reasons you have stated for the move, please reconsider. Sedona is as close to being a 100% tourist town as you can get. This is well known and commented on continuously in local news as well as nationally. They closed the only elementary school here in the Village of Oak Creek for lack of students. The educational system in Sedona is rated at the bottom of the scale. Traffic on the severely limited roads is normally bumper to bumper during the week and on weekends becomes a parking lot. Jobs, of course, are mostly hospitality related to accommodate the hundred or so restaurants and lodging businesses. Real estate, whether land, homes or rental have escalated to the point of approaching the highest in the country.

I have lived here foe 20 years and watched this rural town turn into almost another typical American strip town. Sorry for all the negativity but it's not going to get any better because the Sedona area has gone past the point of no return.
We plan to homeschool our children, so schools are not a factor. Our plan is to build in West Sedona, and as I understand, there is less traffic out there -- most of the traffic is in/around Uptown, is that not right? As far as jobs go, my wife and I are fortunate enough that we work from home. Real estate -- yes you are right, it's expensive, but don't you "get what you pay for" -- i.e. isn't the market pricing Sedona high for a reason?

20 years, wow! You have a lot of experience. Do you see it going further in the Leftward direction -- i.e. "diversity", soft on crime, LGBTQ, atheism, anti-Americanism, etc? This is what we want to avoid.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Look further west into Prescott Valley, we're one of the top 5 safest cities/towns in the state.
We did consider Prescott as well! Very nice city! And lower cost of housing and living too! It's really very nice. And there's a Costco there too haha.

It's the red rock and the hiking trails everywhere that really appeal to us about Sedona. Are they really that different? I guess the tourist factor is a key difference.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
You will be better off in Gilbert or Queen Creek. More of what you're looking for.
Just Googled those... nice, but we aren't big fans of the "cookie cutter" suburbs. We both grew up on those in Texas. I do their appeal to others though!

Old 04-21-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
As far as politics, the county supervisor from Sedona was the only one in Yavapai county to recently vote to make the county a sanctuary county for illegal migrants. I dont know how reflective of the populace her vote is though, but the allowing homeless to camp in cars you mentioned is another indicator perhaps.

That said, I find almost everybody around this area to be friendly, and most people dont "peacock" their political leanings like in some places.
Sedona as a sanctuary city!? This would destroy the city, why would anyone want to do that? It's such a small city, even a small # of illegals -- 5, 10 -- would cause significant harm. I can't believe it.

That's perfect. We aren't outspoken about our political leanings either, and we respect others'. We simply don't want people trying to indoctrinate us with their beliefs, or to suffer the consequences of poor choices made for the community that we live in, like the above sanctuary city matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona