Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2019, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,373 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is considering taking a 2-3 year assignment in Sedona for his work. We live in Phoenix, and would be moving early this summer (or possibly sooner) if he takes the assignment. His work will help us to secure a rental home (I’ve noticed there aren’t many long term rentals in the area or even in other towns in the VV near Sedona). One area we’re looking at for rentals is VOC, but I just found out that Big Park Community School has closed. We have an 8 year old son, and I’m wondering where the elementary school kids are going to school now. Are a lot of families home schooling now, or are the kids having to go all the way into West Sedona for schooling? If the latter, how long is the drive or bus ride to school in Sedona on a typical day during school drop off and pickup times? From reading some of the posts, the traffic can get pretty backed up from VOC to Sedona. We’ve driven through the area before during various times of day and traffic was manageable, but it’s hard to tell if we were just getting lucky. My husband would be working in West Sedona, but there seem to be fewer rentals available right in Sedona. We really love the beauty of VOC, so I’m wondering about the commute would be like for him, as well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Last edited by AlohainAZ; 12-22-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Traffic from VOC to Sedona usually gets backed up after 9:30-10 AM. Earlier in the morning is rarely a problem.

I attribute this to people from Phoenix who want to hike but don't get up early to drive to Sedona.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:37 PM

131 posts, read 439,747 times
There are only negative answers to your questions. You seem to be aware of the problems so I won't go into details.

I have lived in VOC for almost 20 years and it makes me very sad when I think of the "good old days".

I am retired, a happy daily hiker and need not be concerned with the endless problems you will face.

I see the school bus picking up the children at 7AM, heading through all the roundabouts on its way to West Sedona and a school rated at the bottom of an educational system.

Please re-evaluate your decision.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
Village of Oak Creek Elementary students have the option of attending either West Sedona school, which requires that long, busy commute through all the roundabouts to West Sedona, or they may attend Oak Creek Elementary School in Cornville, which is actually a shorter commute. OCS is part of the Cottonwood district. It is a nationally STEM certified school with an agricultural focus. An extensive land lab with animals, gardens and a greenhouse. It's also much smaller than the Sedona school. Current student population is well under 300.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:29 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
I had a doctor in Sedona tell me that kids call VOC "the village of old creeps" as there are hardly any kids there. Sedona is "Slowdona."

Take that for what it's worth.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:45 PM

225 posts, read 144,311 times
Last five years grew to resent more and more what became of Sedona/VOC. In fairness though, far from only places becoming less desirable. Even got burned-out sitting in Elote (VOC) with one too many Phoenix weekender coo-cooing over their drink blabbing about Scottsdale and vortexes. If ever get back to AZ will seek out areas farther out. Maybe Four Corners region. Search for those wide open spaces with lots of Spring wildflowers, less commercial/tourist crap. Sometimes that means venturing into native lands. When going to Monument Valley in past, the Native Americans would always take you out. At least no Panera or Taco Bell to screw-up the landscape. I see writing on the wall for central AZ. Population rising. More fast food crap. More traffic. More tract developments. Covid-19 is going to slow things for awhile, but soon enough the wealthy will push their projects right down the communities throat. Suppose more rip-off lot fee places like Sedona Shadows and those double wide senior communities in Cottonwood where many are just getting by. Some may actually think that's living well. Yuck.
Left central/north AZ to help care for elderly parents. The place I live now is a serious s-hole, but knew that before arriving (burbs north of Atlanta). It was sorta OK in the 1980's, but it's a hell hole now.

Anyone with firsthand experience know if Covid-19 hurt Sedona Air b&b rentals? Some I knew in Sedona bitched about that business model to no end.

Last edited by trouillot; 03-26-2020 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 05:50 PM

225 posts, read 144,311 times
n/a

Old 08-18-2020, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 28,950 times
SedonaShadow, where was this sage advice when we needed it?? Thank you for your honesty; my short time in Sedona (VOC) was a hell i would rather forget, from traffic to bugs to creatures to avg restaurant$ to heat to rude weird neighbors / people, so glad we left. Ok, we had some nice neighbors but the lady with six dogs behind us... And hiking was good - for about 45 days of the year. That place takes a special kind of person, and it spit us out, so they say, and thankfully. People, dont discount advice you read here, take it all into consideration and do your research. It is a small place really tho it is growing.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,373 times
Thanks so much for the comments! They really helped with our decision. We decided to pass on the Sedona job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona