Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 08:58 AM

58 posts, read 181,412 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas and while it is boring here at baseline, it's mind-numbingly so during this coronavirus lockdown. I was thinking that my gf and I could fly to PHX, rent a car, and drive slowly a loop over 3-4 day north>Sedona>Flagstaff>Tuba City>Kayenta>Monument Valley>The Wave-Coyote Buttes>back to PHX. All we'd need is lodging here and there to be open and available, and restaurants open for take-out.

Could we do this? Are the highways open? (I know the national parks are not, unfortunately.) Might we get pulled over and told to "go back to Texas"? Are there enough hotels and restaurants open to make it a viable plan? All we'd like to do is drive, see some scenic beauty, maybe take some short hikes here and there.

Any info from locals would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Stay home. Why would you volunteer to get in an airplane? I doubt you'll find lodging anyway.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:44 AM

So lodging is closed along this route?

Old 04-07-2020, 10:51 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothario View Post
So lodging is closed along this route?

No, not necessarily. I just checked a couple of places in Sedona. They're open. You'd probably want to book in advance. Be sure to take disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer and wipe down all surfaces, just to be safe.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:01 AM

Very nice of you to do thank you! I wonder if the Sedona hiking trails are open - ?

It still leaves me wondering about those rare hotels/motels and restaurants along the sparse areas of the dessert. I guess I need to call them.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:23 PM

26 posts, read 38,715 times
Hello! I'm a Sedona local thank you for your inquiry!

Some helpful information:

Most popular trails in Sedona close during stay-at-home order

https://www.sedonaaz.gov/Home/Compon...News/5089/1391

“We’re happy to see the Red Rock Ranger District is doing the right thing and joining other tourist sites in Sedona by closing areas where large groups tend to congregate. All those wanting to visit Sedona should follow the Governor’s orders, stay home and reschedule for another time,” said Sedona Mayor Sandy Moriarty.

From the Sedona Chamber of Commerce website:

"As we do with all visitors to Sedona, we want you to have the best experience Sedona has to offer." :Unfortunately, we cannot do that at this time.

https://visitsedona.com/trip-planning/travel-advisory/

From the Forest Service:

Coconino NF closing crowded destinations in Sedona

"“We are doing our best to balance the opportunities available for the public to recreate on the Forest, while helping lower the COVID-19 curve,” said Tinderholt. “The crowds that we saw last weekend, and conversation with local leaders about the concern that continued influx of tourism has on their local heath and emergency services, solidified our decision to move forward. We will keep evaluating areas and may have additional closures in the future, but that will largely depend upon the public doing their part to avoid crowds and flatten the curve.”

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...d=FSEPRD719835

There is strong forest service and law enforcement at the trailheads. I have heard that people are not illegally parking to access the trailheads and are bushwhacking to access the trails.

a

Looks like the hotel prices have gone down significantly. Maybe ask about the 'quarantine special'.

We have limited healthcare resources and majority of our population falls under the most vulnerable for COVID19. There are a few grocery stores and some locals still have difficulty accessing the things that they need.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3STRSSN View Post
Hello! I'm a Sedona local thank you for your inquiry!
This is all very helpful information. I like the bushwacking idea. And I like cheap hotels too! I just found out that there are hotels open in both Flagstaff and Page as well. So I'm thinking I'm gonna do this AZ road trip after all...

Old 04-07-2020, 02:32 PM

26 posts, read 38,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothario View Post
This is all very helpful information. I like the bushwacking idea. And I like cheap hotels too! I just found out that there are hotels open in both Flagstaff and Page as well. So I'm thinking I'm gonna do this AZ road trip after all...

Not quite sure it was helpful ... at least I tried

Old 04-07-2020, 02:48 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Couple of things...the whole state is under a stay at home order...meaning while most essential businesses are open...if you are pulled over and found to be just touring the state? You are going to get fined heavily and/or arrested. The hiking trails around Sedona are closed for the most part. From what I have seen, most hotels are closed down around Phoenix so while you may be finding some available on your "route" why in all that is holy are you trying to do this trip now? You just want to get infected and leave a trail? You don't think everyone else is bored as well and would love to travel right now?

This is a national/worldwide disaster and you are showing some EXTREME social irresponsibility with this post. EVERYONE is bored and going stir crazy. Suck it up. The more people do this crap the longer all of us are stuck in lockdown. Our (AZ) peak for infections is supposed to be sometime next week and HOPEFULLY this will start declining and we can all get out and enjoy the weather before it gets too hot again.

I really am hoping you are joking with this topic.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:17 PM

So I'm not joking and I do understand your perspective, and I certainly don't want to break the law or get punished for doing so. So thank you for bringing this up... so would my doing this AZ road trip be illegal under the current restrictions, or would it be inadvisable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona