Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 09:04 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times

Advertisements

Dflora...if this was your reputation comment you are in for a rude awakening in Payson: Love the place. Can't wait to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 09:13 AM

635 posts, read 784,205 times
Default stay away

One thing I know about Payson is that in the summer there are lots of people going through it on their way to show low. Lots of traffic. I don't think there is much there.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:18 AM

12 posts, read 23,576 times
Thanks KurtAZ. Your comments reaffirm my impression of Payson. Sorry didn’t intend to be political...

Old 08-11-2020, 04:39 PM

416 posts, read 535,224 times
Better to stay in DC and fix it before moving out here. We don`t need the change or the influx of any coastal big city problems.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:43 PM

558 posts, read 971,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
Prescott will be your best choice but it`s humid in July and August. You may need to drive to Phoenix for certain medical procedures. Freeway and local traffic can be a mess. Been waiting for over 20 years to get the freeway widened. You can find a mountain view but it will cost you. There is a good shuttle service to Sky Harbor airport in Phx if you need it.
I live in Prescott (without AC) and don't consider 30% humidity during the monsoon to be high, but then again, I moved here from Houston. ;-)

The freeway to PHX is I-17. If there's an accident it can back up for hours, but that's fairly rare. I've never experienced that. A reversible extra lane is planned.

Real estate is pricy in Prescott proper, but the other towns in the metro area are more affordable and also have mountain-ish views. Hiking and mountain biking opportunities can't be beat. Check out the Prescott forum for more details.

Politics are conservative, but you don't notice it much on the streets, and there are plenty of liberals around if you look. Prescott College has social justice in its mission statement.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 PM

416 posts, read 535,224 times
It`s not the 30% humidity but the rising summer dew points in AZ. As it rises to and above 50% the comfort factor drops way off. It used to be better when we had the real monsoons and not the winter rains. The winter cloud seeding is creating a big hazard: dry brush summers. Very familiar with 17. Have sat in traffic many times for high volume or wrecks. 17 was supposed to be fixed many years ago. Have serious doubts about flex lanes. A better option is to add a lane to what is there and have a frontage road. We get to see the flatlanders every weekend sitting in traffic waiting to go north on Sat morning and again going south on Sun. They sit out there for hours in the heat instead of staying in Phx by a pool. Usually with no water or supplies. You could be sitting stopped for hours and 10 miles from a water fountain or bathroom.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:17 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Just a word on politics in Gila County.

It almost always votes Republican.

We just threw out one anti illegal politician.... because she was not tough enough on her anti illegal stands..

Generally, it is also very pro 2nd, amndment.

Many people (male and female) tote firearms both openly and concealed.

There is one local politician who's bilboard slogan is.... Don't California my Arizona.

If this appeals to you... fine...

If it doesn't... don't expect to change it.

It's kind of the way people like things.
Those are just some of the many reasons why we chose to move here. In New York we were like a fish outta' water. Unfortunately no one gets to choose where they are born and raised. But there's nothing better than getting to choose where you want to live based on your lifestyle and beliefs. Arizona is where we truly belong, it's as if we've lived here our entire lives. My only regret is not being born and raised here.

It makes no sense to move to another state and then try and change it into the place that you just left. Then do nothing but complain about your adopted state, its people and its customs. I just don't understand it? It's a great big wonderful country there's a place for just about everyone. If you don't like people lawfully carrying guns, embrace the illegal invaders and want absolute government control over your everyday lives California is just across the Colorado River. Except for the ocean, it pretty much has the same climate and landscape as we do.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:40 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
I live in Prescott (without AC) and don't consider 30% humidity during the monsoon to be high, but then again, I moved here from Houston. ;-)

The freeway to PHX is I-17. If there's an accident it can back up for hours, but that's fairly rare. I've never experienced that. A reversible extra lane is planned.

Real estate is pricy in Prescott proper, but the other towns in the metro area are more affordable and also have mountain-ish views. Hiking and mountain biking opportunities can't be beat. Check out the Prescott forum for more details.

Politics are conservative, but you don't notice it much on the streets, and there are plenty of liberals around if you look. Prescott College has social justice in its mission statement.
Prescott just passed the "Liberal Hippy" ordinance last year.

It is basically one out, one in.

New liberal hippies interested in Prescott need to go on the register, and cannot move in until another one moves out (or passes away).

It is a simple conservation method to keep the area sane.

Last edited by snebarekim; 08-14-2020 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-25-2021, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 7,275 times
So, it's been a while since a post about Payson. We are looking to leave Albuquerque and move to AZ for better doctors for the wife. She does better at an altitude of around 5000 ft, so Payson is one location we are looking. Real estate prices have gone nuts recently so it is tough finding anything new (3bed 2 bath 1500 sq ft) for less than 400 K. No way we will pay a quarter mill for a manufactured home. So option are limited. Am finding some in Cottonwood but not the altitude she needs. Don't care about politics or golf courses just hoping for good internet and medical care within an hour or two. Any updates on Payson or info on Flagstaff or Williams will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-25-2021, 12:08 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
If you think Payson is expensive don't even bother to look at Flagstaff. A 1960s 1500sf 3/2 in a dumpy neighborhood is easily $300k. At least the last one that came on the market I saw was that much, and it was an estate sale of a house that needed a total refurbishment, easily another $100k or more on top of that to make it habitable.

There is no such thing as "affordable housing" in Flagstaff for a member of the middle class. Period.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona