Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:44 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaShadow View Post
Here's how I got here when I was living back east.

Put an RV trailer on the back of my pickup and headed west with no particular destination.

Eventually got here, checked into the beautiful Rancho Sedona RV Park for a night and stayed for 6 months.

Went back east, said goodbye to everyone, left them all presents of everything I couldn't get in my pickup cap and here I am in The Village Of Oak Creek.

My point is, go stay somewhere for awhile. Coming, going and hanging around awhile should give you a feel if you belong there.
How are you enjoying Village Of Oak Creek? I'm exploring the Sedona area as a place to move. People keep talking about it being busy because of the tourist etc. But I wonder if the Village is impacted by all the tourist traffic as well. I live in Santa Barbara, CA which is also very much a tourist destination. But I live up on the hill behind the town which is more private. Wondering if there might be a similar type private, beautiful, quiet, upper end area in Sedona that might provide a similar experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
Any time I think I might tolerate Sedona, I remember the hour I spent in traffic trying to get from Midgley Bridge to the 179 roundabout so I could GTFO (that's less than 2 miles for those not familiar with the area).

I used to have to go up there for work every few weeks a decade ago and it was enjoyable (and I'd pop up for fun on weekends in the late spring and fall). Now I detest the thought of going through there, be it for work or for fun. Which is a shame, because the area is beautiful and the drive up 89A can be quite enjoyable.

If you have money, you're free to do more or less whatever you want, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend my money on a place in Sedona - whether renting or buying. Plenty of other expensive, picturesque areas that have either fewer tourists or improved transit options to make life more relaxing.

What are those "other expensive, picturesque areas that have either fewer tourists or improved transit option to make life more relaxing" as you described. I'd like to hear about those as well since you mentioned them.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 PM

20 posts, read 38,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
How are you enjoying Village Of Oak Creek? I'm exploring the Sedona area as a place to move. People keep talking about it being busy because of the tourist etc. But I wonder if the Village is impacted by all the tourist traffic as well. I live in Santa Barbara, CA which is also very much a tourist destination. But I live up on the hill behind the town which is more private. Wondering if there might be a similar type private, beautiful, quiet, upper end area in Sedona that might provide a similar experience.
I used to live for several years in Santa Barbara (San Roque) and now in West Sedona. I often feel that Sedona is the "Santa Barbara of AZ" but with low property taxes... essentially a small expensive town in a stunning setting that cannot grow with a huge tourist presence that supports an entertainment and restaurant infrastructure that is way beyond what it could normally, and the same rather skewed social cross-section but in different ways. Also just like lower-salaried workers in Santa Barbara commute from Lompoc or Oxnard they do so from Cottonwood and the Verde Valley to Sedona. Not everyone likes a lot of tourists, but like SB there is something about being in a place with a vibe where people are mostly there to have a good time. I do and you would probably feel at home!

I guess you are looking for those quieter areas in Sedona that are the equivalent of the Foothills Road areas in SB heading over to Goleta away from the tourists and they do exist. A reason I chose West Sedona is it is easy to get out of town on 89 in the opposite direction from the tourists if you don't want that. There are certainly quieter areas in VOC away from tourists but you can't escape them on the 179. Much of Uptown will need to traverse tourist dense areas on weekends. You might though want to look in West Sedona though it is slightly more expensive than VOC. Available rentals and houses for sale seem to have evaporated of late.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatone View Post
I used to live for several years in Santa Barbara (San Roque) and now in West Sedona. I often feel that Sedona is the "Santa Barbara of AZ" but with low property taxes... essentially a small expensive town in a stunning setting that cannot grow with a huge tourist presence that supports an entertainment and restaurant infrastructure that is way beyond what it could normally, and the same rather skewed social cross-section but in different ways. Also just like lower-salaried workers in Santa Barbara commute from Lompoc or Oxnard they do so from Cottonwood and the Verde Valley to Sedona. Not everyone likes a lot of tourists, but like SB there is something about being in a place with a vibe where people are mostly there to have a good time. I do and you would probably feel at home!

I guess you are looking for those quieter areas in Sedona that are the equivalent of the Foothills Road areas in SB heading over to Goleta away from the tourists and they do exist. A reason I chose West Sedona is it is easy to get out of town on 89 in the opposite direction from the tourists if you don't want that. There are certainly quieter areas in VOC away from tourists but you can't escape them on the 179. Much of Uptown will need to traverse tourist dense areas on weekends. You might though want to look in West Sedona though it is slightly more expensive than VOC. Available rentals and houses for sale seem to have evaporated of late.

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much Aquatone! I completely got everything you said and you nailed and phrased so much of the parallel dynamics of our two homes (SB & Sedona) beautifully. Made ME feel right at home .

I am a musician, singer, song writer, and writer. I wonder if there are any performance venues for shows (not just a bar party band, but an artist with piano/ keyboard etc.) up there.

I do get the sense there are many artistic, creative, as well as holistic healing, 'spiritual' types there. Is that a reality anymore? Or was it ever? I'm very holistic health (acupuncture, massage, steam room, low stress) type person. And athletic. I love to learn and enjoy culture. And wonder if there is any of that up there as well?

I will check out West Sedona. Appreciate the recommendations. I live on the riviera which is very quiet and private. But also close to the action when needed . So that would appeal to me.

What airport do you guys use? And how are your hospitals and medical community in general?

Old 12-01-2020, 06:33 PM

20 posts, read 38,171 times
Quote:
Thanks so much Aquatone! I completely got everything you said and you nailed and phrased so much of the parallel dynamics of our two homes (SB & Sedona) beautifully. Made ME feel right at home .

I am a musician, singer, song writer, and writer. I wonder if there are any performance venues for shows (not just a bar party band, but an artist with piano/ keyboard etc.) up there.

I do get the sense there are many artistic, creative, as well as holistic healing, 'spiritual' types there. Is that a reality anymore? Or was it ever? I'm very holistic health (acupuncture, massage, steam room, low stress) type person. And athletic. I love to learn and enjoy culture. And wonder if there is any of that up there as well?

I will check out West Sedona. Appreciate the recommendations. I live on the riviera which is very quiet and private. But also close to the action when needed . So that would appeal to me.

What airport do you guys use? And how are your hospitals and medical community in general?
Hi!

Sedona certainly has its holistic and new agey side if you look for it! (It's not very hard) That part of the towns reputation is true though lessening I think and you need never be exposed to it if you don't want to. No problems with getting spa and massage treatments either. Also, many of the hotels offer those services and all the other things vacationers like. On the athletic side it is a semi- paradise, a zillion outdoor trails, open-air lifestyle etc. Compared to Santa Barbara which only has 2 seasons (spring and summer) Sedona does have 4 seasons though not extreme.

Sedona has a reputation as being an early-to-bed town... closes early and gets up early. Not much nightlife and you don't really move to Sedona for that. There are film and music festivals though no bigger venue Arlington theater equivalent, however Sedona has a subset of musical culture within its broader arts culture and values it. Here is an example: https://visitsedona.com/directory/re...usic-festival/ but remember that C-19 has put a lot of this on hold. You also see music in restaurants, hotels etc. There are more music events in Flagstaff and Prescott and certainly Phoenix. (Or at least in the old times before C-19) Sedona is much smaller and further away from metro areas than Santa Barbara so at times you drive more for it. You would need to stay for a bit to get a better feel.

Airports, I use Skyharbor in Phoenix. There are some flights from Flagstaff but not usually to where I want to go without changing. Just heading down 17 to Phoenix on cruise control is almost 2-hours but in accumulated time not always as different if you can get a direct flight to where you are going. Thats my preference though.

BTW: You get to know back road routes that in places avoid the 89a and 117 where the tourist traffic is though not between VOC and West Sedona. I don't bother looking for nice restaurants on a Saturday evening when most visitors are in town. More often drive just 20 minutes straight from West Sedona to Cottonwood or in the broader Verde Valley for quieter and more local..

Last edited by aquatone; 12-01-2020 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 12:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
Default Santa Barbara vs Sedona

The only thing I'll add to the recent comparisons between Sedona and Santa Barbara besides what is already stated and some obvious things (like no ocean), I'll add this-

Traffic in down town Sedona is more like Fiesta traffic but worse most weekends. If you know the SB area you will understand what that means and make your judgement call based on that. If you don't mind avoiding downtown you are fine, but depending on where you want to get to you might have to drive through the heart of if. Say North you want to go South or West, and vice versa, you most likely are going to have to go through some of the round abouts in or near downtown.

Not dissing Sedona at all, just putting out info so you can make an informed choice

Old 06-11-2021, 08:15 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatone View Post
I used to live for several years in Santa Barbara (San Roque) and now in West Sedona.
Do you miss SB? The few times I've been there I loved it.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:

I live here and have been here off an on since the 90's and moved here in 2002. To me Sedona has lost it's shine...it's just too crowded and traffic has become so bad that many here just want to stay home. That and every other house is an airbnb. Finding a place to rent is next to impossible so you'd better want to buy, but I guess if you're om SB Sedona may not give you sticker shock.

Sedona's always had a spiritual, holistic healing vibe, with quality practitioners but that also attracts some very bizarre characters who are here to take advantage of the vulnerable - we've had our share of whackadoddles over the last number of years (some reaching criminal levels), one has even been run out of town.

One venue for performances is the Sedona Creative Life Center. Hiking is great but much of the time you have to be out on the trails very early and then be done hiking by about 7 AM to get a parking spot at the hiking trail, it never was like this and I used to enjoy hiking here. I just tried this morning to make a reservation for lunch on Sunday and was told they had nothing within 2.5 hours either way - it was NEVER like this in the past. There are simply way too many people (much of them tourists) for all the amenities now.

The airport is in Phoenix, almost 2 hours away. Medical is not bad, there is a hospital in Cottonwood and more medical in Flagstaff, as well as everything you need in Phoenix.

I'm curious to hear what like-2-hike says about nice places with fewer tourists.

Good luck

Old 06-11-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
Plenty of other expensive, picturesque areas that have either fewer tourists or improved transit options to make life more relaxing.
Please share!

Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 AM

8 posts, read 8,383 times
I live in the Village of Oak Creek and much prefer it to Sedona proper:

- VOC is walkable, you can walk to Clark’s (food store ... a little pricey), hardware store, pubs, golfing (3 courses, all with killer views), car mechanic, pharmacy (in Clarks) and banks AND trails. Sedona is not walkable at all; matter of fact the rabid tourists will run you down because they are gawking at the rocks.

- real estate is about 10-15% cheaper than Sedona, and rentals are available but a little scarce.

- tourists are running up and down the 179 to/from Sedona proper not but not east and west where the VOC “places of interest” are. (I have friends in North Sedona who get “locked in” by tourist traffic and can’t get to food stores, etc in West Sedona.)

- we have similar killer views of the Red Rocks as Sedona.

- less crime than Sedona, if possible.

- lots of geezers, virtually no nightlife unless you count a rowdy crowd at PJs watching a late Cardinals game.

- almost no Airbnbs in the HOA of VOC as it is CCRed out (you can report them).

Message me directly if you need more...

Last edited by Wrecktangle; 06-13-2021 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona