Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 05:02 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times

Advertisements

OPacNWpibble, would you consider La Grande / Baker City?

Lots of folks see the current flaws of the current darling cities but often are not willing to give up some of the things they have by being the darling cities (unique restaurants, concerts, groomed bike trails, big box stores, large medical communities, airports with flights at all or more direct flights, yoga class choices, major home price appreciation rates, "cache", etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 09:35 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvarcher View Post
Folks, Ive been looking and researching places out west for 3 decades at least. Even while working and finishing my job here in NY I had always wanted to live out west. I dont need to work anymore as I get a pension and social security. And I own my home fully so selling that for a even trade or a little more expensive house out west is very do-able . YEt right now retired 11 years and still stuck in the mud Im as confused as ever!! If it isnt forest fires, or short summer long rainy winters, droughts, homeless camps, no good medical support or international airport nearby , its the air or water quality or just plain too congested with people. My dream was to have a small cottage on a nice fishing lake . Just about every home on a good lake is in the millions. otherwise its a brown water algae filled "typical Bass Lake. The South has affordable but the humidity and lake water is what I just mentioned plus jet and water skiers screaming all over the place . The upper midwest has some good lakes and affordable water fronts if you like 8 months of freezing winter. Same for new England States. I realize now that America is finally filled up and there is no end to the influx of desperate people looking for a safe place with opportunity and freedom that we have here.
No more pristine places. Even Alaska is filling up. How many have seen Buying the Yukon homes TV show. Pristine South Pacific Islands are being bought up by rich people as well. Its pretty much over. This ol Earth cannot take any more human population growth. I guess my dream of living out west was in fact just a dream.Kevin Costner got it right in Dances with Wolves when asking for a post at fort Sedgwick he told the captain he wanted to see the west before it was gone.
What about following Costner to Black Hills and maybe Hot Springs SD in particular for affordable near a big fishing lake?

Too cold? What about between Lewiston ID (one of the least cold spots in inland northwest) and Orofino (also not that cold near a great fishing / quiet Dworshak reservoir to its north)?

What, if anything, is / are the fatal flaw dealbreaker(s) for you with these?

Don't like these? What about Long Lake or Loon Lake northeast and north of Spokane? Near Prineville Oregon?

Does anything in Arizona work for you?

Around Wichita Falls Texas?

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-13-2021 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-14-2021, 09:10 PM

37 posts, read 108,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
OPacNWpibble, would you consider La Grande / Baker City?

Lots of folks see the current flaws of the current darling cities but often are not willing to give up some of the things they have by being the darling cities (unique restaurants, concerts, groomed bike trails, big box stores, large medical communities, airports with flights at all or more direct flights, yoga class choices, major home price appreciation rates, "cache", etc.)
I actually haven’t ever been to La Grande or Baker City. I kind of want to get out of Oregon altogether.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:24 PM

994 posts, read 969,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWpibble View Post
I actually haven’t ever been to La Grande or Baker City. I kind of want to get out of Oregon altogether.
What kind of climate are you comfortable with?

Old 10-14-2021, 09:47 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
Why not go further east and check out Rapid City, SD or western Nebraska?

Old 10-15-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
What kind of climate are you comfortable with?
Something similar to Bend! I need sunshine, I hate rain, I like a dry climate, Four seasons are nice, I love snow but not crazy amounts (lived in Bend and Spokane and I like the amounts of snow in both, but a little less would be okay too). All in a smallish city (less than 80,000 and more than 20,000), with a cute downtown (or at least a cute Main Street), nice walking paths, a river or lake, pine tree landscape, politically conservative, and at least a couple cute/nice restaurants.

Too much to ask for?

Old 10-15-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Why not go further east and check out Rapid City, SD or western Nebraska?
What are they like?

Old 10-15-2021, 08:59 PM

6,765 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Something similar to Bend! I need sunshine, I hate rain, I like a dry climate, Four seasons are nice, I love snow but not crazy amounts (lived in Bend and Spokane and I like the amounts of snow in both, but a little less would be okay too). All in a smallish city (less than 80,000 and more than 20,000), with a cute downtown (or at least a cute Main Street), nice walking paths, a river or lake, pine tree landscape, politically conservative, and at least a couple cute/nice restaurants.

Too much to ask for?
Nope…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Junction,_Colorado

Old 10-15-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Interesting, I hadn’t considered Colorado because it seems like the state is leaning more left. But it does sound like something to think about. Though it looks like real estate is on the higher end

Old 10-15-2021, 09:53 PM

6,765 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Interesting, I hadn’t considered Colorado because it seems like the state is leaning more left. But it does sound like something to think about. Though it looks like real estate is on the higher end
Is it higher than Bend? Not sure.

My wife’s parents lived in Angel Fire NM for a while. It’s pretty small, but less pricey and quite scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona