Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM

31 posts, read 138,853 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking about taking a job at a treatment center way out in Rim Rock, I understand that there's not much out in Rim Rock (besides the center I guess) and I believe Sedona is the nearest decent sized city. That having been said, what's life like out that way? Is Sedona the best place for me to look for housing? This position is only for a year, so it's not a permanent relocation, but I've never lived in Arizona. I have lived relatively rural before, but no more than about 15 minutes from 'civilization', would this be similiar? Is there someplace closer than Sedona to Rim Rock? Really I know nothing about the area and I am hoping you all might be able to help me figure out if this is a good place to move to. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Rimrock is not that rural, though it certainly is not near a large city...it's near I-17, so you'll have very nice access to Phx and Flagstaff...Sedona is the most "famous" nearby town, but may not be your best choice as it's expensive...there are many nearby areas to choose from for living: Camp Verde, Cottonwood and Clarkdale, Cornville, and many smaller settlements scattered about within 20 miles....it's not a bad area and the entire region is called the Verde Valley...about 1.5 hours from Phx and one hour from Flag.....many people who work in Sedona live in Cottonwood as it's cheaper....

Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
I was just up there last weekend. There is a lot of new construction close to Rimrock, you can use maps.google.com to see a satellite and street map view. The elevation is around 3500 so the summers aren't as fierce as in Phoenix.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 PM

251 posts, read 311,646 times

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9098/31009863.jpg (broken link)
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4017/31009872.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,224 times
Sedona is a very expensive town. It is a pretty big tourist attraction. Cottonwood is a really nice place, I recommend living there. The winter is pretty wild.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:19 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
If you are only going for a year you can rent. I have noticed the rent came down quite a bit in Sedona. Don't pass up that deal. I would give my eye teeth to get a chance like that. I go to Sedona every chance I get.

If you like hiking and the outdoors, Sedona is the place for you!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
You might find a place around Cornville/Page Springs... close to Cottonwood, Sedona, etc... pretty area-- some of the wineries in AZ are in that part of the state.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM

31 posts, read 138,853 times
Wow thanks for the advice! I was not aware of Cottonwood and the various other towns located that close to Rim Rock. Those suggestions being out there, how is the weather in the winter? I know it's at a higher elevation and there will be snow and such, but how bad re we talking about here? I lived in Utah and Colorado for a few years, so I'm used to lots of snow, but are the roads kept relatively clear or can it get pretty rough? I'm just thinking about driving to and from Sedona, Cottonwood, etc. to Rim Rock in the winter time and if it'll be something I can manage-can't help it, I hate driving in snow. Are these towns exceedingly far away from Rim Rock? I saw somewhere that Rim Rock was about 30 minutes in good weather from Sedona. What's the distance from Cottonwood? Are there good roads?

I'm very much looking forward to possibly moving out there, I just want to get all my bases covered. Thanks again for all your help so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona