Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Young couple no kids seeking information on Flagstaff; walkable neighborhoods, local coffee shops, neighborhood bars, Flagstaff airport, music scene, restaurants

Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 40,386 times

Advertisements

We're a young couple from the Midwest around 30 years old with no kids. I like everything I hear about Flagstaff but have a few questions:
- One of our priorities is to live in a walkable neighborhood that has plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. Basically we want to leave the car parked all weekend. Are there very many neighborhoods that fit this description?
- I will work from home but fly 2 or 3 times per month for business. How much of a pain will flying out of Flagstaff?
- Will we have a difficult time finding friends our age that enjoy doing casual things like seeing bands and playing pool at pubs?
- Any suggestions? Other similar places we should consider? I've posted basically the same questions on the Santa Fe forum.

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,594,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbond View Post
We're a young couple from the Midwest around 30 years old with no kids. I like everything I hear about Flagstaff but have a few questions:
- One of our priorities is to live in a walkable neighborhood that has plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. Basically we want to leave the car parked all weekend. Are there very many neighborhoods that fit this description?
- I will work from home but fly 2 or 3 times per month for business. How much of a pain will flying out of Flagstaff?
- Will we have a difficult time finding friends our age that enjoy doing casual things like seeing bands and playing pool at pubs?
- Any suggestions? Other similar places we should consider? I've posted basically the same questions on the Santa Fe forum.

Thanks for your help!!!
If you want high desert with the amenities listed, I'd personally check out Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Flagstaff is nice but doesn't have the depth of opportunities for the things you probably would enjoy. My opinion, of course.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM

70 posts, read 344,954 times
Not too many walkable neighborhoods. You can fly to LA or PHX from FLG, but you pay a price, the best venue for muysic is closing in the Spring...oh, and it's super expensive. There are other threads that deal with this issue as well, take a look and see. Good luck and best wishes

Old 01-25-2009, 06:36 PM

12 posts, read 44,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbond View Post

Thanks for your help!!!

walkable neighbourhoods is slim....
between down town and the hospital... but it is half residental and half comerical.
there are urban trails, but Flag is spead out some some are quick and others are long.

There are quite a lot of thing to do in Flag.
the paper list lots of stuff from meeting to events.
you might want to check out the DailySun web page.

What does your better half do?
work form home too?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 PM

564 posts, read 1,487,372 times
I'll have to agree with the general sentiment that you don't have a lot of options for the type of neighborhood you seek.

Flying out of Flagstaff is basically pointless as far as I'm concerned. As far as I know there's one carrier, at least at the time I flew and you could only go to Phoenix anyway. I've done it a couple of times to fly to the east coast, and it was several times more costly than just driving to Phoenix and booking with southwest. With the time wasted on the runway, in the air, and waiting for your connection, etc you could have driven to Sky Harbor in (2 hours) anyway.

In terms of finding people your own age, I don't know, there are plenty of people your age, but it is mainly a college town (NAU) and there is a very large population of undergrad aged people.

One thing going for you is you have a job already working from home, because jobs are very hard to come by in this town.

Still, Flagstaff is beautiful and I do love all the options for outdoor activities. If you like hiking, mountain biking, etc you will never run out of things to do.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:16 AM

7 posts, read 28,229 times
If you want something walking distance to downtown you will pay a premium in either rent or mortgage. The Arizona Daily Sun lists rentals and some properties for sale, but do an MLS search for a more complete list. Houses for sale in the area probably start around 300K for a fixer. Depending on the size of the place, rent would probably be $1000 and up. Note: there is a bus, so you could maybe look at neighborhoods near NAU, etc. Prices slightly lower but still high for the salaries offered here. That's my opinion, anyway. Oh, and when it snows sidewalks don't always get shoveled, so walking can be a gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona