Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:23 AM

11 posts, read 63,047 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know anything about being a student at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff? I was thinking about going to school here. How is the weather? Any sort of culture/arts here? It seems like a really great school at a affordable cost.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
My friend's daughter started there in August. She says she absolutely loves the place, but it's getting cold. We sent the cold weather clothes to her in October.
She says the only thing that bothers her is the wind.
I think she's going to need heavier stuff to wear!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diva View Post
Does anybody know anything about being a student at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff? I was thinking about going to school here. How is the weather? Any sort of culture/arts here? It seems like a really great school at a affordable cost.
Cost is the same as the other universities in Arizona I believe, maybe slightly lower than ASU.

The weather is great, it does snow in the winter but it's hit or miss with the snow, some years it piles on, some years it's light and melts off. The spring winds are intense, and IMO is worse than the winters.

Some culture/arts around the college, very liberal minded though for the most part.

The cost of living is a little high, but if your living on campus it's not too bad.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:51 PM

173 posts, read 404,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diva View Post
The weather is much colder than Phoenix/Tucson, of course. It isn't too cold during the day, even in the winter (rarely below freezing), although since it is the desert, it is significantly colder (30 or even 40 degrees cooler) once the sun goes down. Flagstaff averages over 100 inches of snow per winter, as well. We are at 7,000 ft, so the sun is more intense and seems to melt snow quicker than in other places. That, and its hardly ever cloudy.

Some might disagree with me, but Flagstaff is not really known for arts and culture. NAU has some interesting arts programs going on from time to time, but outside of the university there isn't a whole lot. For having one of three state universities in Arizona, the lack of a vibrant arts/music/culture scene is apparent. Flagstaff, in that way, hasn't really shed its "railroad/cowboy/outpost" identity. The cost of living probably doesn't help that either; more NAU students live on campus than most other universities, and so aren't as much as a part of the community.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:07 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,995 times
Default Flagstaff vs. Durango Arts And Music Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
Some might disagree with me, but Flagstaff is not really known for arts and culture. NAU has some interesting arts programs going on from time to time, but outside of the university there isn't a whole lot. For having one of three state universities in Arizona, the lack of a vibrant arts/music/culture scene is apparent. Flagstaff, in that way, hasn't really shed its "railroad/cowboy/outpost" identity. The cost of living probably doesn't help that either; more NAU students live on campus than most other universities, and so aren't as much as a part of the community.

Not only is there little integration between NAU students / faculty / staff with the residents of Flagstaff . . . there is even less integration between NAU and Flagstaff with the Internationale Art Colony of Sedona 25 miles to the South . . .

The City of Flagstaff could reach out to Sedona, and vice versa, perhaps . . . along with the respective Chambers . . . I think a bus to see events in both cities on weekends in the summer would benefit both . . .

Does Flagstaff's "rival" tourist/mountain/college town of Durango, Colorado have a more vibrant arts / music culture than Flagstaff (along w/ neighborhing Telluride)? (Durango has Ft. Lewis College.)?

On another note, compared to other places I've seen, the City of Flagstaff doesn't reach out as much as they could to the Students at NAU. The cost of living is astronomical due to a lack of affordable apartments. Food is expensive since there's no Superwallmart, Costco, or Trader Joes, although one can drive to Phoenix, Winslow, or Prescott and stock up.

And, the City Council in spring 2009 refused to pass a Gay Civil Rights ordinance for employment and housing discrimination. Moderator cut: off topic, too political for this forum Overall, in general, there's very little compassion towards NAU students from the community, with high rents and expensive food.

Despite these other issues of political interest, and the high cost of living (hey I'm just a political nut), NAU truly is a fantastic learning environment; it's a small, safe, intimate atmosphere with lots of activities, and not overcrowded with high crime like ASU (Phoenix) and UoA (Tucson) and UNM (Univ. of NM).

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-04-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Stick to OP's questions or thread will be closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,995 times
Default Previously Recorded And Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Stick to OP's questions or thread will be closed.
We did. The University is difficult for GLBT students because the city does not protect GLBT individuals from employment and housing discrimination. That is 5%-10% of the student population. This is still a major issue there, and I will stand up for civil rights in any context.

Moderator cut: no discussion of mod actions allowed on forum, hijacking

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-06-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
We did. The University is difficult for GLBT students because the city does not protect GLBT individuals from employment and housing discrimination. That is 5%-10% of the student population.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote
The OP never asked about the GLBT culture at NAU.

No offense, but your posts were deleted because they were off topic, if you want to discuss GLBT culture then create your own thread on the subject, not hijack someone elses and then go and cry about it on your blog, that's just sad.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-06-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Oh, it's sad? Not so. It's censorship.

The conversation about gay rights and the cost of living was very relevant to any incoming progressive student, gay or straight, to Flagstaff's NAU.

I have no idea what "hijacking" means.
No, it's not censorship, your posts were irrelevant and were deleted because they did not realte to what the OP was asking for.

How can you not know what hijackign means, it's a common word in the English language, you do speak English obviously.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-06-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote
If you knew anything about me, you would know that I am one of the more liberal posters on the forum, and I have nothing against the GBLT culture.

Your posts were irrelevant to the thread and justifiably deleted. Like I said before, if you want to discuss the issue make your own thread.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-06-2009 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona