Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times

Advertisements

The news here had a story on flooding in Sedona yesterday? Was it that bad or something blown out of purportion? Flash floods are common in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
The news here had a story on flooding in Sedona yesterday? Was it that bad or something blown out of purportion? Flash floods are common in this area?
We have a client up there who said the rain was torrential and that the storm knocked out power to a lot of places. A storm that bad is fairly rare. You can think of it as a freak snow storm on the east coast. The ground around here and in Sedona is mostly clay, which does not allow much water to seep through. When a lot of rain hits, it quickly runs into dry river channels, which rise and can become impassible - that is the flooding that is referred to.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
I read about this last night, it flooded a major roadway and it stranded some people in Sedona apperently.

I don't think it's very common.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,164 times
Yes, it was a very destructive flash flood. The news pictures all seem to be from the tourist area of town but there was quite a lot of water damage in the more residential area of West Sedona as well. Flood like this one are relatively rare in Sedona.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-11-2009 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: A new user cannot post other sites until they have a minimum of 10 posts.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdig View Post
Yes, it was a very destructive flash flood. The news pictures all seem to be from the tourist area of town but there was quite a lot of water damage in the more residential area of West Sedona as well. Flood like this one are relatively rare in Sedona.

[Mod cut]
[Mod cut orphaned statement] I remember Tlaquepaque quite well and took quite a few photos of the place (which can be found here (page 2 of my Arizona album: Arizona (mostly July/August 2007) pictures from arizona photos on webshots) if anyone unfamiliar with the place want's to see what it looked like before the flooding.

Ken

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-11-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
[Mod cut orphaned statement] I remember Tlaquepaque quite well and took quite a few photos of the place (which can be found here (page 2 of my Arizona album: Arizona (mostly July/August 2007) pictures from arizona photos on webshots) if anyone unfamiliar with the place want's to see what it looked like before the flooding.

Ken
I was just sent some photos (friend in Cottonwood) of the extensive damage that resulted from the flooding in the Sedona area on 9/10. Having walked through the Tlaguepaque Shopping area several years ago, I am shocked at the extent of the damage------it appears that many, many cars were just "tossed around" like beach balls. One picture showed the 'high-water mark" on a building wall to be about 3/1/2 feet above the pavement level in their main parking area.

Does anyone know if there was flood damage further down highway 179 in the area of "The Village of Oak Creek" community (about 5 miles away, I think).

To Adventuregurl--(resident of Sedona). I sure hope your specific location was not effected by this flooding. Positive thoughts are with you.....................

Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
And the weirdest thing about that Sedona flood was the thunderstorm cell in question was directly over the town------------the outlying areas received virtually no rain at all.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Various sections of Sedona and Village of Oak Creek have flooded out at least 3 times in the last ten years that I know about. Ther problem with Talaquepaque is that it is built in a natural flood basin of Oak Creek. Whenever it rains so hard that Oak Creek can't carry off the runoff fast enough, the water expands in the natural basin. When the basin is dry it's perfect. Nice flat land next to a gurgling creek but when a monsoon drops 2-3" of rain in 30 minutes, it all fills up the basin. Lousy place to build but people have been doing so since Plymouth Rock.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:43 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Mother nature struck back.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I was just sent some photos (friend in Cottonwood) of the extensive damage that resulted from the flooding in the Sedona area on 9/10. Having walked through the Tlaguepaque Shopping area several years ago, I am shocked at the extent of the damage------it appears that many, many cars were just "tossed around" like beach balls. One picture showed the 'high-water mark" on a building wall to be about 3/1/2 feet above the pavement level in their main parking area.

Does anyone know if there was flood damage further down highway 179 in the area of "The Village of Oak Creek" community (about 5 miles away, I think).

To Adventuregurl--(resident of Sedona). I sure hope your specific location was not effected by this flooding. Positive thoughts are with you.....................
Thanks Griz,

I am fine and there was no damage at my place. The storm was actually fun for me (I love storms), I was home and it didn't seem any worse than any other strom we had last year. I didn't even realize there was damage etc. until a friend from Cottonwood called me to see if I was ok after she saw the news (I wasn't watching TV).

They are still cleaning up after it and plows and bullodzers were goiong all night on Thurs. (it was ok as they helped cut out the noise of the garbage trucks - I posted about this on another thread about Lake Havasu)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona