Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:02 PM

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii 14 1/2yrs. Raised & 7yrs. *Just moved back to mainland the Arizona area wrong area
35 posts, read 355,375 times

Advertisements

Aloha
Need advice on moving from Honolulu, Hawaii to Flagstaff, Arizona Reg. Medical- regular & medicare; educational; job and career futures and progress and living in Arizona area.
I'm irritated and fed up after 6 plus years of Honolulu,Hawaii
I just turned 40 and I'm medically ill... Need new services and more business minded people= Go Getters that actually know there stuff... I'm a product developer in Visual Design & Communications(Entrepreneur)
Looking for change I've lived Northern Calif. 12 1/2yrs. ; Sounthern Calif. 13yrs and Honolulu, Hawaii 14 1/2yrs.
Hopefully Arizona will be an awsome choice need feed back

Last edited by China Doll Me; 06-16-2007 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii 14 1/2yrs. Raised & 7yrs. *Just moved back to mainland the Arizona area wrong area
come on everyone
No feedback yet.. Either you don't like Asians or you like Hawaiian Islands and can't figure why I would want to move to Arizona
Trust me Hawaiian Islands for business in my industry is not a good place to do start up's to secluded and isolated and not worldly enough.. Great place to party and relax only

Old 06-17-2007, 01:14 PM

28 posts, read 219,963 times
I've lived all over Arizona, and Flagstaff is definitely one of my favorite places (you chose well)!

I really recommend the hospital there; I lived in a small town called Cottonwood, and my chronically ill sister drove 2 hours to get to the Flag hospital because it was so good and so much better than anywhere else.

I'm sure you know by now that Flagstaff is home to one of the best Universities in Arizona (NAU), and with that comes many things.

Because of the college there and because Flag is growing so rapidly, I think that you would have little trouble finding work, especially in your profesion.

I do think that it's important to warn you about the winters though. Unfortunately I've never been to Hawaii, but from my understanding it's a very warm, tropical climate. California tends to have pretty mild winters too. Flagstaff can easily get below freezing in the winter. They have a lot of snow and ice, making it difficult to drive sometimes. On the plus side, Flagstaff has skiiing! I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision, I just want to make sure that you can manage the winter alright.

Housing prices are VERY high. If you can afford it that's great, but if not, it might be a little bit harder to relocate.

Overall, Flagstaff is one of the most dynamic cities in Arizona, with a lot more culture than many areas. There are great resteraunts! Downtown is very small but very cute! The people there are active and friendly!

Hope this was helpful! Good luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:01 PM

4,345 posts, read 3,937,590 times
I would have to disagree with the poster in regards to finding work in your field. If your criteria is a place with business minded people, job and career futures, then Flagstaff really isn't it. There is little by way of industry in Flagstaff. It is made up mostly of low wage service type businesses catering to travelers, tourists, and the local student population. Flagstaff is growing but not in such a dynamic way that tons of professional business types will be running there anytime soon.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 AM

Thank you for all you help
I'll look into thereFlagstaffs hospitals to see which ones take medicare.. Honolulu, Hawaii is just rip off artest and scammers for the buck reg. medicare Queen's Hospital I wouldn't even suggest it, bad bed side manners and there rude and charge for things that you didn't even get or they don't put things that are needed and mentioned in your chart... They have selected memmories not the brightest people they hire there...
I have quite a few medical problems that Honolulu, Hawaii bootched up and need to recorrect or check from bad cataract surgery that no one wants to touch.. I finally got some second opinion and they cleaned up the 1st doctors mess "Dr.Worlsted Lee" I wouldn't suggest them at all unless your really 65 yrs. and older and then maybe if that.. I've had 3 sets of bad mammograms and second opinion and I still want mainland services to check because I thik there just scamming for money, like they always due here in Hawaii.. Kapiolani wm's & childrens Hopsital nice people but iffey still... My mental state as you can see is very high and volital
To boot my 100% Chinese family and there freinds thought it was ok to rip me off of all my personal good and 1/2 my company that I left in the mainland while trying to get some medical help...
While in the mist of being ill I landed another job by lottery trying to get out of Hawaii on the Long Beach/LA Harbor Longshoreman Docks... My life is pretty crazy with no family to trust and starting over...
Obviuosly I really don't like asians, so Hawaii isn't really a good place for me to be...
Sep 2006-Jan 2007 I finally had to give my final deadline that I needed to pull out a start up for a demographics of a 3-Part New Age Project from Hawaii and California... California is still in holding.. My other states were Arizona and Seattle Orgean area... Hawaii was where I grew up but it's changed to much and what's left behind is not good... A lot of new people broken down and bad attitude alot not really for the islands more for themselves, it's really sad...
But yes I did hear abt. NAU and that was a plus for the project that I needed to start and finish up my project to be sold... University Hawaii has nothing good the islands get all the poor daddies and mommies little rich kids... Great gabba gabba but the 5min test not so good... Or all the better ones have finally left or reached the cushion state part reg.$$$ and hide there...
I've been trying to do as much reseach as I can in the last month because I just decided it's Arizona that I would like to try new.. It has awsome abiding states Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Mexico, and California...
Arizona or one of those states has got to have some decent attorneys or law schools.. Hawaii's court system and attornies not so good all for the bucks or there just not so bright... Under my cercumstances I've been getting the looser tail end and obviously my freinds that I've accumilated are not real helpful....
The cold weather thanks for the tips.. Now I got to think of a car to get for that area, to drive back and forth to the different states and the snow... I really don't care for the winter but I do like to snow skii, so it will be great reseach and maybe a change will do.. Bad thing my chinese family stold all my warm weather gear got a skii jacket hopefully that holds out till I get off this dam rock...
Thanks for all the helpful tips I need them
I made a really big mistake and gambled on the wrong asian nationalities along with my life works Projects to try to take flight... Definatley the 50th state of Paradise is a big joke and a fasaude and a two face state of disaster and only tourism scams and high dollars...
I hope the sate of Arizona can be way better in all my expectations because if not it then moves to Seattle/Oregon. Between the American Indians, Sedonas and the spiritual beauty, educational and business growth and the surrounding states of Arizona I figure it's a better start than Hawaii out in the middle of know where and the people aren't wordly enough there...
I read not sure but they are trying to lauch in 2008 a Northern Arizona Univ. Conference Center and an Ammusment Park in Williams?
Arizona still sounds more exciting than Honolulu, Hawaii...
Thanks for the positive feed back because things aren't looking good at all here... It's going to be a battle for my life to just get out of this for god saken bull**** state two hits in 7 years with the wrong vultures helping me not good... Lots of money thank god for plastic, it's running thin and not good...

Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 AM

54,465 posts, read 33,719,730 times
Arizona is very business-friendly and the government here has many incentives to bring your business to Arizona, however, as somebody previously mentioned, Flagstaff may not be your best choice for your line of work. You might want to consider the Phoenix area or Tucson. We have very good medical facilities in both cities, plus the opportunities are abundant in the Visual Design and Communications area.

As for the pros and cons - If you decide to move to Flagstaff, well it's in the high country, about 7,000 feet in elevation ASL, so you'll have to deal with cold fall, winter and spring, not to mention the occasional snow Flagstaff gets during that time. I say occasional because for the past few years snow fall has been below normal, but they do still get snow. Flagstaff is also close to the Grand Canyon and other tourist attractions.

If you decide to move to an area in the desert elevations, well I'm sure you know the desert areas have hot summers and the temperature can reach up to 122 degrees, which was the record that was set in Phoenix on June 26th, 1990. But it's a dry heat.. - Plus, every building has central air-conditioning, and if your car is equipped with A/C, the hot weather shouldn't affect you too much, just don't touch the streering wheel after your car sits in the sun for a couple of hours in the middle of July.. If you're used to Honolulu's humid climate, getting used to the hot weather here shouldn't be a problem. Hot summer temperatures above 100 degrees last from late May until late September and early October. On occasions we've gotten lucky and the cool weather arrived in mid September, but for the rest of the year, you can't beat the weather here. Also you have to keep in mind that when the highs start reaching 100 degrees in May, morning and evening temperatures are very pleasant, and the morning temps in September start getting nice, so you can drive your car and enjoy a nice cool morning breeze without running the A/C.

Other pros, real estate is still relatively cheap here, compared to California and Hawaii. You can get a 4-bedroom house for less than what you would pay for a 2-bedroom shack in California or Hawaii.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 06-19-2007 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,544,773 times
Have you looked at Albuquerque, NM, by chance? They seem to have quite a few high tech jobs and housing prices are reasonable (but climbing). Weather has all 4 seasons but winters are mild. Check out the NM forum here.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 AM

In 1998 visted Santa Fe... Great for the New Age Project I'm developing reg. research and job... Personally I didn't care for the food inland so that means I would have a job but starve to death. Airport food was great as I was leaving NM mild winters sounds great and alot of ethnic culture, still open for suggestions-Thanks

Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Thanks for all your input-Much appreciated

I'm finally off to check out the state of Arizona for about a month totally running behind schedule I should have been moved off the islands already... I'm hoping Flagstaff will be the stopping grounds for me and my 3-Part New Age Project...
Looking forward to meeting and checking out the different areas and looking at Northern Arizona University along with the other Universities and places of interest.. I hope the state of Arizona is a better healing place for your mind, body, soul and spirit... Because Hawaiian Islands are not, it's been a whirl wind here with tons of incompitancies and brushing normality under the rug to only help the FOB Asian foreigners or Pacific Islanders that are real slow and dumb or the caucasian or gays from the mainland because there white...
When I'm back in Hawaii. I'll post again my findings on the state of Arizona vs. the looser crapped out state of Hawaiian Islands...

Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 AM

39 posts, read 357,710 times
Interesting... I moved from Aiea to Chandler.

Flag is a nice town, but get ready for winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona