Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used the auto train recently? Pros? Cons?

It looks like I may be taking it next month. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 40,637 times
Default Auto train

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Has anyone used the auto train recently? Pros? Cons?

It looks like I may be taking it next month. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Yes, go for it! You will not regret it. I relocated from Sanford Fl to NY, placed car on Auto train and took Amtrak. It does not go entirely to NY, as it stops in VA, and you have to drive the rest. I am looking on returning to Fl, and will definitely utilize it. Also if you're a student, apply for a student card, you get a discount. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Thanks, Amb.

We're moving from NY to FL. I have to lead next month (we're closing on the house around 7/23). Hubby's last day of work isn't till 9/4, so he'll drive down then. I can't drive for more than a couple hours at a time or I fall asleep, so I thought I could leave here one afternoon, drive 4-5 hours, pull infor the night at a motel, drive another 4-5 hours to VA and catch the train. After I arrive and get in my car, it should only take me a little over 3 hours to get to N. Ft. Myers, depending on traffic, of course. It sounds perfect for my situation.

Unfortunately, too old for the student discount, too young for the senior one! But I do belong to AAA, so that helps.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 40,544 times
My wife and I have used the AutoTrain for the past 15 years. We live in Naples, and whenever traveling North, we use it. In fact we will be on it next month. During the summer, Delux Bedrooms are 1/2 seasonal costs (I assume other accomodations are at 1/2 costs also).

The ride is bumpy, and not all that pleasant, but we have grown too old to fight the I-95 traffic. Be sure to take a book or crossword puzzles with you, plus snacks and drinks while you are sitting in your room (we take our own liquor). You'll meet other people during dinner who generally are interesting to talk to.

It can take a while to get your car unloaded in Sanford. We never seem to be the lucky ones to get our car unloaded first. It can take up to 2 hours to get your car once your arrive at Sanford.

Good luck, and if I drive pass you on I-75, I will give you a wave!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks, Shoveler! I'll wave back!

I think I'm going to go cheap and get a coach seat. I'm a reader, so I'll bring a couple of paperbacks and get myself settled in.

I kind of figured it would take about 1-1/2 - 2 hours to get the cars off. Is there a correlation between how early/late you arrive and how quickly they get your car off?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 40,544 times
Default nomoresnow

My earlier reply appeared not to have been transmitted, so I will try again. Our car wasn't always the last off the train, it just seemed that way. One year it was actually one of the first off. Over the years we did a "study" and there is no correlation whatsoever between early/late arrival and cars being taken off the train. SUV's and pickup trucks do, however, always get unloaded early on.

Do not leave anything of value in the car, including the trunk. There were times when we found things like CD's and parking change missing. Also it was obvious some times that someone was "camping" out in the car with the seats pushed back and radio volume turned up.

Also, when getting your car, be sure to inspect the outside for any damage that may have occurred while it was being driven on and off the train.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 AM

Thanks for mentioning that. I was going to bring some valuable collectibles with me until you said that.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:11 PM

33 posts, read 231,837 times
I'e used it 3 times and was happy everytime. I used it to take my 3 cars dwon from NY. I own a immaculate 1998 Pontiac Trans Am and they took great care of it putting it on the train and off. The staff was always friendly. It sure beats driving down the I-95. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:27 AM

Great news. Thanks for sharing. I leave 4 weeks from today.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 10,711 times
How are the cars loaded and unloaded and who does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: