Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneballnoa View Post
There is not a chance that there will be force evacuation of Florida. To even suggest this is ludicrous.

bp feeds

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If that truly does come to pass, it won't be because they don't have the financial fortress to take care of the problems, it'll be because of political pressure from the Obama administration.

BP will still be around, just maybe not allowed to drill in the U.S. I think this incident will open the eyes of many to exactly how rich oil companies are. To lose billions and spend billions and still be in business. Only Oil companies can afford it. Yet.... they cut corners in the name of profit... and they always want tax breaks. Anyhow, if they eliminate the tax breaks from oil companies, I think we'll see gas become much more expensive. Its really amazing how fast and how much America is addicted to oil. Heck, the automobile came out only about a 100 years ago. You would think for how much we use this stuff we have been on it for several centuries. Funny how the USA bans drugs because of addiction... yet the country has an addicition of its own. One that is way more devastating and addicting than any drug. GO figure....

Old 06-18-2010, 03:17 PM

173 posts, read 391,241 times
(quoted text)
Want recent examples of sensationalization... Tell me how many people that you know died of a Africanized killer bee attack, the Asian Bird Flu, the H1N1 virus, or had their lives wrecked by the Y2K disaster...(end quoted text.)

The advantage of "Sensationalization" of the H1N1 virus is that people started washing their hands frequently... and helped prevent the spread of the disease. That was a very useful practical sensationalism.

The average citizen cannot do anything regarding the current oil spill. Okay, the guy at my coffee shop is praying about it. And there's a lady who is casting a net of light into the gulf to protect it. We do what we can. But the media wants us to buy more papers/watch more tv.

The best sensationalism is during sweeps week... Showing hotel sheets illuminated with black lights... ooohh, body fluids.. and restaurants with bad health department reviews.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:38 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
I grew up in SW Louisiana, and have several family members employed in the oil industry. Theres no doubt whats happened is tragic. There will be an environmental and economic impact but it will be years before the true scope of the damage is understood.

But lets be honest, can you name a single occasion where the American media was guilty of underreporting an item? Certainly not, if anything the American media is guilty of sensationalizing most items.

If you go to the front page of CNN.com today you'll find video of Joran Vander Sloots Peruvian jail cell, three articles about a poor murderer getting executed in Utah, and people protesting Angelina Jolie being chosen to portray Cleopatra in a movie.

Want recent examples of sensationalization... Tell me how many people that you know died of a Africanized killer bee attack, the Asian Bird Flu, the H1N1 virus, or had their lives wrecked by the Y2K disaster...

The bottom line is this, a spill of this magnitude is unprecedented. There are no experts on the situation as this has never happened before. I hope most readers who see your predictions of doom and gloom take them with a grain of salt and realize your by no means an authority on the situation and neither are the posters on the websites you provided.
What a positive spin. As far as the media "sensationalizing" the spill, I think they've given BP a pass and haven't done enough to report their terrible safety record. You're right-I'm no expert but I do know that 50,000 barrels of oil a day being dumped into the Gulf isn't going to do anyone any good.
It's a crying shame what is happening to the Louisiana shore and my heart breaks for the wildlife, but your state politicians have been in bed with the oil men for years and years. A disaster like this should come as no surprise.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,234,977 times
They should have allowed drilling 20 to 100 miles off of the FL west coast years ago instead of drilling in 1000ft+ deep water. It's only around 300ft deep 100 mile west of Clearwater and only 120ft deep 50 miles west.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:19 PM

323 posts, read 684,669 times
It should be noted that said doomsday Helium article was written by the same guy who wrote this:

What is North Koreas secret plan to defeat America? - by Terrence Aym - Helium

" But there is a greater danger than cyber warfare. It is a danger that countries like NKorea and Iran are working towards exploiting. And that danger is an electromagnetic pulse, or "EMP." The nuclear EMP weapon"

He's a "former economist who likes to travel." Good greif.....

Old 06-19-2010, 03:38 PM

46 posts, read 133,977 times
Default Vacation here.... NOW!

I just read all of the posts on this thread, and I am taking an entirely different approach to vacationing here- don't cancel, because if indeed a spill does spoil the perfect beaches, then come now, don't wait, and appreciate this unique environment before anything comes that might spoil it. We just booked a vacation in the keys with two other families with the intent of appreciating what we have taken for granted... now that a possible threat is looming. Just my two cents... I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see how any of the gulf area is going to escape this catastrophe totally unscathed... I want to enjoy it while I still can!!!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,575 times
This pretty much says it all... This clown needs to be fired immediately.

BP CEO Leaves Gulf To Attend Glitzy Yacht Race In England
Spokesman Defends: 'One Of The Biggest Sailing Events In The World'

Gulf Oil Spill: Tony Hayward Attends Glitzy Yacht Race As Oil Spews Into Gulf

Old 06-19-2010, 04:09 PM

283 posts, read 652,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkette57 View Post
I just read all of the posts on this thread, and I am taking an entirely different approach to vacationing here- don't cancel, because if indeed a spill does spoil the perfect beaches, then come now, don't wait, and appreciate this unique environment before anything comes that might spoil it. We just booked a vacation in the keys with two other families with the intent of appreciating what we have taken for granted... now that a possible threat is looming. Just my two cents... I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see how any of the gulf area is going to escape this catastrophe totally unscathed... I want to enjoy it while I still can!!!

Would you take your hard earned money and go on a vacation which might turn into a nightmare? Why would someone want to take a long drive or fly to the Gulf Coast when there are so many other places where you can vacation? Sorry for being so negative but I am just using a bit of common sense. No amount of advertising or hoping by the President or anyone else is going to change the perception that beaches are damaged and potentially dangerous. One only has to read some of the stuff posted here to see that even local residents are concerned and worried. To make it even more depressing the likelihood is that this could go on for years. Nobody really knows how all of this is going to play out. I wish the businesses geared to tourism lots of luck and I hope that BP has very deep pockets because even if the spill itself is not as bad as projected, the publicity and fear will be. Florida has one very marketable commodity and that is tourism and catering to retirees. This will not help Florida at all and I pray that it ends well.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,193,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
BP will not exist as a company in probably 4 months. The U.S. taxpayers are going to be on the hook to cleanup this mess.
Whether or not BP continues to exist the taxpayers will be on the hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida