Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:09 PM

183 posts, read 454,267 times

Advertisements

Absolutely disgusting - pollution of every kind. Let's pollute the air in order to keep the beaches "clean". It's working so well after all.

TED Blog: Aerial photos of the oil slick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 03:39 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post
Absolutely disgusting - pollution of every kind. Let's pollute the air in order to keep the beaches "clean". It's working so well after all.

TED Blog: Aerial photos of the oil slick
Speaking of pollution, I found this today concerning the use of the oil dispersant Corexit. Apparently, it's some pretty nasty stuff.

BP’s use of Corexit dispersant will kill the Gulf with sulfuric acid: Environmental engineer | Florida Oil Spill Law

Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 PM

214 posts, read 678,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
but they haven't yet found a way to ask the deeper questions like why the U.S. government seems to be colluding with BP to cover up the truth about the spill.
"Never assume a conspiracy when something can be explained by simple incompetence."

Bureaucrats are bureaucrats, not technical experts (usually).

Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM

283 posts, read 652,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkette57 View Post
Vman, That is the point! I am taking my hard earned money to see it before something takes it away for years! My child has not seen the keys the way that I have, and I want her to see it before it is spoiled. I am a local resident and I am worried, which is the reason I am spending $$, and enjoying it NOW! Hopefully, oil will never reach the area that we are going, but in case it does, we want to have one last vacation there. Would I go to the panhandle for a vacation right now? Honestly not. The point I was trying to make was to go to areas that you know are not affected yet and see them for what they are today- and appreciate them. As far as being able to vacation anywhere else, yes by all means there are other areas that I would consider, but nothing like the reefs of the keys- I am supporting the gulf tourism industry and spending my $$ to see a special area before it might be changed forever.

There is now a big push to get people to go to the Gulf. I sincerely hope that it works and that you are right and I am wrong.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 AM

BP internal document suggests estimate of Gulf oil leak may be increased again:

According to an undated internal BP document obtained by congressman Ed Markey (D-MA), the estimate of oil leaking into the Gulf of Mexico may need to be increased again - for the fifth time.
The amount of oil pouring into the sea has been a matter of controversy since the spill began on April 20, with many saying BP had deliberately understated the rate in order to play down its liability.
Last week a panel of scientists reporting to the federal government sharply increased the estimate of the amount of oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico from 210,000 gallons (5000 barrels) per day to up to 2.52 million gallons (60,000 barrels) per day.
The spill has impacted 59 miles of Gulf Coast shoreline, mainly in Louisiana but also in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. More than one-third of federal waters in the Gulf are closed to fishing because of the spill.
According to the Telegraph UK, the BP document released on Sunday showed that the company has estimated that oil could pour from its broken well in the Gulf of Mexico at the rate of 100,000 barrels (4.2 million gallons) per day, nearly double the current reckoning by the US government.
The estimate is consistent with a report in which CNN quotes the lead government official responding to the spill, the commandant of the Coast Guard, Admiral Thad Allen, as stating, "if we lost a total well head, it could be 100,000 barrels or more a day."
The document is also consistent with an exploration plan and environmental impact analysis filed with the federal government in February 2009. According to the Houston Chronicle, BP said then that it had the capability to handle a “worst-case scenario” at the Deepwater Horizon site, which the document described as a leak of 162,000 barrels per day from an uncontrolled blowout - 6.8 million gallons each day.

BP internal document suggests estimate of Gulf oil leak may be increased again

Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 17,802 times
The southward current will probably keep the oil from hitting the shore but as of yesterday, there were two 25' long tendrils of oil about 9 miles offshore. I was on a scuba diving trip and viewed them with my own eyes. The coast guard was in full operation, I'm assuming to collect the tendrils as soon as possible. I live in Orlando and was shocked to find that the oil has traveled so close to our shorelines as we do not hear anything about it's location. This situation WILL NOT keep me from enjoying the breathtaking beauty of Florida's amazing beaches and the oceans full of life. Rest assured that Floridians are extremely committed to ensuring that our beaches and our water stay clean now and forever.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Tampa area is going to be fine........ <fingers crossed>. I really, really, really hope so. Pretty sure moving there is going to be the biggest gamble I have ever made. EXCITING!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
That definatly is a gamble. You must be very excited.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl300 View Post
The southward current will probably keep the oil from hitting the shore but as of yesterday, there were two 25' long tendrils of oil about 9 miles offshore. I was on a scuba diving trip and viewed them with my own eyes. The coast guard was in full operation, I'm assuming to collect the tendrils as soon as possible. I live in Orlando and was shocked to find that the oil has traveled so close to our shorelines as we do not hear anything about it's location. This situation WILL NOT keep me from enjoying the breathtaking beauty of Florida's amazing beaches and the oceans full of life. Rest assured that Floridians are extremely committed to ensuring that our beaches and our water stay clean now and forever.
You are so right, Floridians ARE committed to that! And our governor is being pro-active, and also urging everyone else to be also. We are going to protect our beautiful state no matter what! I know I will be there to do all I can to save and protect the natural treasures of our area.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Florida Gulf Oil Spill: Plans to Evacuate Tampa Bay Area Are In Place

Gulf Oil Spill 2010: Plans to evacuate Tampa Bay area are in place.
As FEMA and other government agencies prepare for what is now being called the worst oil spill disaster in history, plans to evacuate the Tampa Bay area are in place.
The plans would be announed in the event of a controlled burn of surface oil in the Gulf of Mexico, or if wind or other conditions are expected to take toxic fumes through Tampa Bay.
This practice has been used by the US Forestry service, when fire and smoke threaten the health and well being of people.

Florida Gulf Oil Spill: Plans to Evacuate Tampa Bay Area Are In Place : Veterans Today

more info here:

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dai...the-oil-spill/

Last edited by stpeteguy; 06-24-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida