Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 18,074 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I have been trying to find the right city for me to move in Florida for about 2 months now and keep getting pushed back to square one. I'm exhausted from doing research online and have already spent too much money traveling back and forth. So I need your opinions! Please!

I am a 27 year-old single female currently living in Miami. I am looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of my party-city hometown, but at the moment must stay in Florida. I would love to live in an ultra laid back, almost hippie-ish beach town. I think I will only be considering cities on the East coast of Florida because of the whole oil spill fiasco. I would like to live in a place with less hispanics. Not being racist or anything, I'm Cuban.. but living with people who actually speak English would be great! Lol. I have a small dog and can't wait to get another, so I am also looking for a pet friendly town. Somewhere with a few parks and at least one dog park. I am looking to live directly on, or within walking distance to the beach. I currently live in a high-rise, so I am somewhat spoiled with my granite and stainless steel, but would give that up for the right location. My maximum rent would be $1400/month. Also, I am a bartender, so I would need some restaurants and bars nearby. I don't mind commuting inland.

So far, these are the main places I have considered and ruled out:
Naples, FL - LOVE it there!!! Ruled out because it is very difficult to find an apartment on the beach that allows pets.
St. Petersburg, FL - Again, love it! Very pet friendly. Ruled out because of how costly rentals are and how far the beach is.
Palm Beach, FL - Again, doesn't allow pets by the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Quote:
St. Petersburg, FL - Again, love it! Very pet friendly. Ruled out because of how costly rentals are and how far the beach is.
Huh? Have you been here? Plenty of stuff in St. Pete that is well under your max rent quote. Now, if you live in St. Petersburg, you are not walking distance to the gulf beaches, but the bay front in downtown is beautiful (lots of parks, dog friendly, and "dog parks"). Downtown is great, very boho/hippy feel for Florida. Check out Treasure Island for beach living. Rents are higher than St. Petersburg, but still under your max quote. On the East Coast check out Northern Palm Beach county and Martin County. Stuart and Jensen Beach are pet friendly, small Florida beach towns - though not too much going on in 'em

Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
St Augustine, Jacksonville Beach, Fort Lauderdale! Those are places I know from experience... Jax Beach has a hippie type population, and there are LOTS of pets here!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:03 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Juno beach just North of Palm Beach Gardens would be a good fit. Very laid back, dog friendly beach, and you can rent a 2 2 for under 1400 pretty close to the beach. Lots of good places to tend bar as well.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Naples, FL is about as far from hippie town as it gets.

Think wretchedly excessive, angry retiree with a dusty wallet and bad, aggressive driving skills.

I vote for St. Augustine, too.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Key West- no question about it.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Certainly NOT Brevard County.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

15 posts, read 54,597 times
Hi, I was in Venice Florida a few months ago and they have a leash free beach and dog park. It was really cool to see all the dogs running on the beach. I don't think this is spelled right but it was something like Broha beach.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM

15 posts, read 35,542 times
Default Dog friendly delima.

Yes,Naples is NOT dog friendly. The rents are high, and no one is willing to rent to you if you have a dog(less than 20%). I am also looking.

I have been trying to find the right city for me to move in Florida for about 2 months now and keep getting pushed back to square one. I'm exhausted from doing research online and have already spent too much money traveling back and forth. So I need your opinions! Please!

I am a 27 year-old single female currently living in Miami. I am looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of my party-city hometown, but at the moment must stay in Florida. I would love to live in an ultra laid back, almost hippie-ish beach town. I think I will only be considering cities on the East coast of Florida because of the whole oil spill fiasco. I would like to live in a place with less hispanics. Not being racist or anything, I'm Cuban.. but living with people who actually speak English would be great! Lol. I have a small dog and can't wait to get another, so I am also looking for a pet friendly town. Somewhere with a few parks and at least one dog park. I am looking to live directly on, or within walking distance to the beach. I currently live in a high-rise, so I am somewhat spoiled with my granite and stainless steel, but would give that up for the right location. My maximum rent would be $1400/month. Also, I am a bartender, so I would need some restaurants and bars nearby. I don't mind commuting inland.

So far, these are the main places I have considered and ruled out:
Naples, FL - LOVE it there!!! Ruled out because it is very difficult to find an apartment on the beach that allows pets.
Palm Beach, FL - Again, doesn't allow pets by the beach.[/quote]

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
There are a few hippies in Nassau County.
The beaches here on Amelia Island are dog-friendly, and there is a dog park but you have to pay to play.
We have had quite an influx of people from south Florida.
It's not exactly party-central here, but there are a few bars, including the Palace Saloon, which supposedly is Florida's oldest bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida