Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've posted a couple of inquiries on the MB, and I still have NO CLUE which area of Florida to place my main focus on. I'm a 40-something year old single woman, no kids (schools are NOT important) and two dogs.

I'm not looking for a HUGE nightlife environment, but close enough that I could jump in my car when I have the desire. I LOVE nature so I would love to be surrounded by it in my future home, as well as a beach(es), bike trails, doggy parks, malls/shopping, good restaurants, etc....

I've been researching the job market in the Sarasota (visited my gf/her hubby and it was BEAUTIFUL), Tampa (appears to be a big city/decent job market from what I have seen thus far), Ft Lauderdale (have friends there and close enough to what's "happening"/jobs, Clear Water (seems like a desirable area, but don't know much about it) areas to name a few. The best paying jobs are in MIAMI. Ughhhh...I'm not partial to Miami (nothing personal to those that may reside there, just my personal preference).

If you were in my position which area would you focus on SE/SW, and if so which cities/counties? Would living in Ft Lauderdale and commuting to Miami be doable without losing "my mind"?! lol

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions/thoughts you may provide me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
Ok, so I've posted a couple of inquiries on the MB, and I still have NO CLUE which area of Florida to place my main focus on. I'm a 40-something year old single woman, no kids (schools are NOT important) and two dogs.

I'm not looking for a HUGE nightlife environment, but close enough that I could jump in my car when I have the desire. I LOVE nature so I would love to be surrounded by it in my future home, as well as a beach(es), bike trails, doggy parks, malls/shopping, good restaurants, etc....

I've been researching the job market in the Sarasota (visited my gf/her hubby and it was BEAUTIFUL), Tampa (appears to be a big city/decent job market from what I have seen thus far), Ft Lauderdale (have friends there and close enough to what's "happening"/jobs, Clear Water (seems like a desirable area, but don't know much about it) areas to name a few. The best paying jobs are in MIAMI. Ughhhh...I'm not partial to Miami (nothing personal to those that may reside there, just my personal preference).

If you were in my position which area would you focus on SE/SW, and if so which cities/counties? Would living in Ft Lauderdale and commuting to Miami be doable without losing "my mind"?! lol

Thought I'd bump my post with hopes that I'd get some responses. I guess everyone is tired of responding to people who are potentially looking to move to Florida? lol

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:

I don't think you should work in Miami based on your post. You will be miserable doing that kind of commute and spending 40 hours or more a week in a place you are not partial about.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:

You might actually really like certain parts of Miami. The whole area heading south from downtown Miami along US1 from Coconut Grove to Palmetto Bay sounds like what you describe. Coral Gables, Pinecrest, parts of South Miami, parts of Coconut Grove, and east Kendall would offer a LOT in terms of bike trails, nature opportunities, shopping, etc. If you just can't live in Miami-Dade County, the I-75 corridor suburbs (west of Ft. Lauderdale) in Broward County offer the best commute compromise. Pembroke Pines, Weston, Davie, Cooper City, some of Miramar offer possibilities. This is basically your typical mundane suburban life, and physically resembles SW FL with relatively low crime rates, landscaped communities and wide streets, but with a younger population and closer proximity to job centers and nightlife. Further east, you could look into Hollywood or Hallandale east of US1, and you would be right on the beach and closer to Miami than Ft. Lauderdale itself, but still have some of the advantages of both places. I can't really give you advice on Sarasota, but I like the south Tampa area. I would say that each of the areas you mentioned have their good and bad, and would place career options above everything else.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I don't think you should work in Miami based on your post. You will be miserable doing that kind of commute and spending 40 hours or more a week in a place you are not partial about.
Thank you for your response, Princess. I'm not partial to living in Miami (as I currently live in a big city-want to live in a more relaxed environment). Commuting would be fine, as long as I'm not stuck in traffic for 1-2hrs.

Good day!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You might actually really like certain parts of Miami. The whole area heading south from downtown Miami along US1 from Coconut Grove to Palmetto Bay sounds like what you describe. Coral Gables, Pinecrest, parts of South Miami, parts of Coconut Grove, and east Kendall would offer a LOT in terms of bike trails, nature opportunities, shopping, etc. If you just can't live in Miami-Dade County, the I-75 corridor suburbs (west of Ft. Lauderdale) in Broward County offer the best commute compromise. Pembroke Pines, Weston, Davie, Cooper City, some of Miramar offer possibilities. This is basically your typical mundane suburban life, and physically resembles SW FL with relatively low crime rates, landscaped communities and wide streets, but with a younger population and closer proximity to job centers and nightlife. Further east, you could look into Hollywood or Hallandale east of US1, and you would be right on the beach and closer to Miami than Ft. Lauderdale itself, but still have some of the advantages of both places. I can't really give you advice on Sarasota, but I like the south Tampa area. I would say that each of the areas you mentioned have their good and bad, and would place career options above everything else.
W. Ft Lauderdale, etc.......sounds interesting. I'm visiting next week, so I may just venture out and see what's more appealing (and continue to do so until I've made a final decision). However, I know that the most important factor is job first, and residence second.

Thanks for the information, CTR!!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
It all comes down to your budget, really.

Key Biscayne fits most of your requirements. You're right by two major parks, you have the beach, some restaurants/shopping, and it's a safe, quiet area. The problem might be budget, though. You're also close to Downtown and not terribly far from Miami Beach. I've heard getting off the island can be a little troubling in the morning, but cannot comment on that directly as I really don't know.

Pinecrest and the coastal area of Coral Gables is also a place you could look. They have large parks and are also filled with shopping, dining, etc. Again though, budget, budget, budget.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:

Aventura is in Miami-Dade county and is a great place for 40 somethings without kids. You can commute to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami from there. It's close to the beach, has reasonable nightlife, a nice mall and is close enough to the South Beach scene that you can head there without much hassle every now and then.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response, Princess. I'm not partial to living in Miami (as I currently live in a big city-want to live in a more relaxed environment). Commuting would be fine, as long as I'm not stuck in traffic for 1-2hrs.

Good day!
You need to visit the area. If you want to get away from a big city, Ft Lauderdale is NOT the place to do so.

You also have 2 dogs which limits your options and we still don't know your monthly budget for housing.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Thank you for your responses and advice; Coconut1, Momma-Bear and Princess. I am making note of all your comments in my journal, and plan to visit the area. So like any other place it's about the budget and job obviously (and of course safety).

I am giving myself about a year or so to make this move, so I am in the planning/research stage. I really liked the Sarasota/Tampa area, but from what I noticed thus far, the better job oppties are in the S.E.

Good day,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida