Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 AM

24 posts, read 91,738 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here with my fiance who was born here. All i can say is that it was probably the biggest mistake of my life. I have never been around people that are as rude or as egotistical as the people here. Everyone seems as if they are trying to maintain the appearance of being rich and well-off, when they don't have the slightest idea what class or sophistication are. If this is "southern hospitality" you can have it. I have lived in 5 different states and this is by far the worst. By the way someone needs to explain to these wanna-be rich folks that if you have the money to go out and party every night you should probably understand that an average tip is 10-20%. These "rich folks" think it's perfectly acceptable to have a $98 bar tab and leave a hundred on the table as if $2 is worth putting up with their egomanical asses. I've seen college bars where the average tip is 20% and that's from broke college students! I guess I should of listened to reason when my northern friends suggested that I not move anywhere near Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:03 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
[quote=TylerDurden79;14975745]I recently moved here with my fiance who was born here. All i can say is that it was probably the biggest mistake of my life. I have never been around people that are as rude or as egotistical as the people here. Everyone seems as if they are trying to maintain the appearance of being rich and well-off, when they don't have the slightest idea what class or sophistication are. If this is "southern hospitality" you can have it. I have lived in 5 different states and this is by far the worst. By the way someone needs to explain to these wanna-be rich folks that if you have the money to go out and party every night you should probably understand that an average tip is 10-20%. These "rich folks" think it's perfectly acceptable to have a $98 bar tab and leave a hundred on the table as if $2 is worth putting up with their egomanical asses. I've seen college bars where the average tip is 20% and that's from broke college students! I guess I should of listened to reason when my northern friends suggested that I not move anywhere near Florida.[/quote]

It's people from the north leaving those crappy tips man. True native Floridians dont act like they are rich and egotistical. There are a lot of people like that in FL, and most are NOT from FL.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,562 times
it sounds like you work in a bar...in Destin...during the height of tourist season...yes?
you're dealing with 'guests' that think you make a fortune from them, so they don't need to contribute
a college crowd would treat you better for sure!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

It's people from the north leaving those crappy tips man. True native Floridians dont act like they are rich and egotistical. There are a lot of people like that in FL, and most are NOT from FL.
The 'northerners' in Destin come from such high latitude places as Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Georgia. You know, the crown jewels of Southern Hospitality and alleged good manners. But good manners tend to come to a screeching halt for a lot of people when they leave their little social cocoons and are surrounded by people who don't know them and won't stare at them disapprovingly if they violate the social contract.

The true Destin natives are a mixed bag- lots of them nice, but a good number of them have bought into the whole egotistical lifestyle and attitude deal after selling off granddad's homestead in the 90s or early 00s for high dollar to developers.

Sorry to hear you've run into a disproportinate share of the jerks on vacation, Tyler, and hope it gets better for you.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,729 times
[quote=ComSense;14976750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden79 View Post
I recently moved here with my fiance who was born here. All i can say is that it was probably the biggest mistake of my life. I have never been around people that are as rude or as egotistical as the people here. Everyone seems as if they are trying to maintain the appearance of being rich and well-off, when they don't have the slightest idea what class or sophistication are. If this is "southern hospitality" you can have it. I have lived in 5 different states and this is by far the worst. By the way someone needs to explain to these wanna-be rich folks that if you have the money to go out and party every night you should probably understand that an average tip is 10-20%. These "rich folks" think it's perfectly acceptable to have a $98 bar tab and leave a hundred on the table as if $2 is worth putting up with their egomanical asses. I've seen college bars where the average tip is 20% and that's from broke college students! I guess I should of listened to reason when my northern friends suggested that I not move anywhere near Florida.[/quote]

Damn us yankees!!!!! LOL. I always leave a 20% tip, unless of course the wait person was no good...

Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Never been to Destin. Don't have any desire to go. If you want to experience the true down-home Southern hospitality parts of Florida, you need to get away from the coast.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
[quote=ChrisA70;14979146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

Damn us yankees!!!!! LOL. I always leave a 20% tip, unless of course the wait person was no good...

I tip well myself; I am thinking he's waiting on a lot of tourists. But that's a guess. It's a touristy area and it's summertime.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Never been to Destin. Don't have any desire to go. If you want to experience the true down-home Southern hospitality parts of Florida, you need to get away from the coast.
This. Destin is a nice beach town but it's not what I think of when I think "Southern hospitality."

Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Very true. Destin is full of people from all over the place, and it seems many of them are coming from the upper midwest.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:21 PM

24 posts, read 91,738 times
The majority are from alabama georgia and mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida