Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

You couldnt get me back to the North if you tried...Hate the Cold...the Heat is no different here in South Florida than it was anywhere else we lived being born and raised in Brooklyn NY these summers arent much different..this was our best decision out of the places we have relocated too..The answer to the Original Question is No We dont miss home, WE do miss our family...its a good thing my parents are snowbirds..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 03:41 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter still lives on LI and the lows have been in the 50s and 60s. She tells me she loves it, especially since the heat waves they had this summer. She says she, and people she knows, are very happy about it and looking forward to FALL. My daughter has said on a few nights she shut off the fans, closed the windows, and has even worn long pants and sweathshirts.

I am very, very jealous. The forecast for next week in Naples is highs in the mid 90s. WHOOPEE. Sarcasm off.
Wow, 50s in August sounds awful. If I lived in NY I would want to enjoy the last of the warm days before the grey skies and snow hit!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
You couldnt get me back to the North if you tried...Hate the Cold...the Heat is no different here in South Florida than it was anywhere else we lived being born and raised in Brooklyn NY these summers arent much different..this was our best decision out of the places we have relocated too..The answer to the Original Question is No We dont miss home, WE do miss our family...its a good thing my parents are snowbirds..
So... you are saying it is 85 degrees starting in April, and in the 90's every day with 100-110 heat indecies until October in NY??? Hmmm, somehow that doesn't sound right?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Whu

22 posts, read 49,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
When someone says "Florida sucks, I wish we could move" but then adds that they have decent jobs here it makes one wonder, could they not find those jobs elsewhere where they think it doesn't suck?

There are numerous posts from people on the forum stating they had to move here for work and they hate it but obviously Florida is enabling them to put food on the table even with as bad as unemployment is here.

Classic biting the hand that feeds you.
Yeah, no problem. I'm a hypocrite that bites the hand feeds him. Agreed.

Florida still sucks.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Me too, well not exactly. I had a job where I came from, was offered another job there while still working, and had 3 job offered in Florida in the span of 3 months. It was my husband who was out of work, not ME.

This sucks even MORE, especially when you were the one who didn't want to move here in first place. Been there, done that 30+ years ago.

Oh, we are so UNGRATEFUL. We should kiss the blissful. HOT soil we walk on.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Me too, well not exactly. I had a job where I came from, was offered another job there while still working, and had 3 job offered in Florida in the span of 3 months. It was my husband who was out of work, not ME.

This sucks even MORE, especially when you were the one who didn't want to move here in first place. Been there, done that 30+ years ago.

Oh, we are so UNGRATEFUL. We should kiss the blissful. HOT soil we walk on.
Why don't you divorce your husband and live in your NY paradise then? Isn't he sick of you constantly complaining and being miserable in "horrible" Florida by now anyway?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Default Actually, HE is starting to see the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Why don't you divorce your husband and live in your NY paradise then? Isn't he sick of you constantly complaining and being miserable in "horrible" Florida by now anyway?
What changed? He has been going back and forth to NY a lot lately, both to see the kids and on business. He's going on a business trip in October to upstate NY, with a side trip to see the kids, and has said he is really looking forward to the Fall foliage and cool temps. He also has more physical aliments now which prevents him from playing golf and bike riding which he was able to do year round in Florida. Neither of us like the beach. So, even for him now, there is little attraction here (other than his job). No, I don't constantly B---- to him. He KNOWS how I feel. He knew it from me living in Florida before.

Also, we are both near retirement age, but still plan on working at least part time. He can work from home on his computer. I can work part time in the schools. I know they do that and like it. NO BENEFITS. We don't HAVE to stay here forever.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Funny thing about this, and many threads. Why are people posting in a FLORIDA thread, about people living in FLORIDA who miss thier home states, yet live across the country? It's a mystery to me. On top of it, personally attack people for missing thier HOME????

Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
I find that by clicking on the tab "read all posts" by so and so its a pretty good indicator of why they say what they say.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 AM

When we first came here and were looking for a house, the #1 reason that the sellers, almost all retired people, gave for wanting to leave Florida was that they missed their children and grandchildren. Even though they liked living in Florida, it couldn't compensate for being a thousand miles away from their families. These were elderly people. One woman was a widow and all alone. Another widower said he wanted to die where he was born, surrounded by his children and grandchildren. This man started to cry when he talked about it.

I have to tell you it was very sad talking to these people about these things when I was looking at their homes to buy. I could certainly relate to what they were saying about family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida