Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,498 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm new to this site. Me and my wife have lived in new york city for almost our whole lives. I'm 24 and she is 21. We hate NYC. In addition, I just graduated from an x-ray school and am looking for a job. She still has a couple of years of schooling. There are NO jobs in NYC for techs. We have too many students and a union hospital that closed a few months ago. So, they have dibs on anything when it opens.

The point is that were looking to move to the southeast florida area. I am in the process of getting my Florida license for Radiologic Technology. I am begging for some x-ray techs or any allied health professionals to give us some advice. We've been through so many websites trying to research the best place to relocate too... We're both losing our minds.

Our criteria are:

An x-ray tech job for me...
A city/town/neighborhood that is safe, clean, and can provide us with an apt for no more than 900/month...

Also, if you would be so kind, I have uncertain information about the salary for techs in the southeast. What is the salary like?

We really really really want to move. Its getting so frustrating its insane!

I appreciate all help!

Thanks,

Pandas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandas View Post
Our criteria are:
An x-ray tech job for me...
A city/town/neighborhood that is safe, clean, and can provide us with an apt for no more than 900/month...
Also, if you would be so kind, I have uncertain information about the salary for techs in the southeast. What is the salary like?
We really really really want to move. Its getting so frustrating its insane!
I appreciate all help!
Thanks,
Pandas
SE Florida is where most of the available Rad Tech jobs are located. You'll need to become licensed by the State of Florida to be eligible for most positions. I would very highly recommend planning a trip to visit so that you can submit a resume in person versus strictly submitting resumes online. A professional appearance and some initiative will set you apart from the other stacks of paper. Salaries are all over the board with variances for hospitals, HMOs, doctor's offices and private imaging centers as well as differences in Associates and Bachelors degrees and years of experience (a Bachelors would help you out greatly). That said, the salary scale tends to run from the mid 40s to low 50s and with your experience level I would plan on the low to mid 40s.

It's hard to plan what city to recommend not knowing where you could wind up with a job within the 75 mile long corridor of SE Florida. The north end is Palm Beach County, and cities there that would fit your criteria for rent and safety would be Wellington or Palm Beach Gardens. In the mid-section (Broward County), I would recommend Coconut Creek or Coral Springs. In the southern section (Miami-Dade County), I'd recommend Aventura or Coral Gables.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
You might want to look into Orlando, Jacksonville or Tampa as well. There are a few well-regarded hospital systems in each city, and i'm sure one of them is looking for a rad tech.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 7,498 times
Thank you guys for the recommendation! Sorry I took so long to reply. Its been crazy with getting all the necessary paperwork to apply for a florida state license.

I would love to plan a trip there to submit my resumes but I wouldn't even know where to start.

We have also been looking at the tampa region as well. The housing is cheaper it seems.

Kyle, are there any specific centers you can recommend in fort lauderdale or anywhere in the SE area? I would only be able to go down for a couple of days. So, knowing where to apply would certainly help.

Thanks again guys for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida