Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 PM

83 posts, read 382,860 times

Advertisements

The job market in Florida for teachers is very good, I would think about 2 important things coming from someone that works on a college campus.
1. Will your Associates transfer to your new college? Will you have to take any courses outside of the upper division 2 years that you will do anyways?

2. If you come live here and complete your education for 2-3 years, you can always go back and chalk it up as experience. If you don't come you may always ask yourself what if?

It's good to have options though...and you have them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:01 PM

41 posts, read 241,920 times
Thanks for the input guys. Lets see. From what I was told by a counsler in my previous school. They mentioned that one you graduate, most school will take most if not all your credits, since it is the same major.

So now what I have to do is call tomorrow and find out how many of my credits are transferable. in a 2 yr college, you need 60 credits to graduate. I graduated with 80.

As for my living situation, I will still live in the home my mom brought in 04. But I do plan on moving out after I save some money for a year.

I already accessed where I wanted to live, which was murdock circle; which I believe is in the heart of downtown Port Charlotte. The apartments were running for like $575 for a 1 bedroom, and $600+ for a 2 bedroom. Which I must say is really quite cheap.

Rent here in NY is like $1,000+ just for a 1 bedroom.
I was also planning on going back to work at Walmart, where I worked for the summer. I was getting paid like $14 a hour. Which is quite good, they told me since I had lots of experience, that was what I was getting. and I believe they help your get health insurance.

But I was also looking for jobs on myflorida.com, and on Mosaic Sales Solutions; I found some good positions on both sites, but I want to wait to see what my school schedule would be like before I start working.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
the cost of living in Florida really isn't much less than NY if you think about it. houses are about the same.

Nore opportunities in NY. get a roommate for $600-700 a month.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 AM

33 posts, read 284,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
the cost of living in Florida really isn't much less than NY if you think about it. houses are about the same.

Nore opportunities in NY. get a roommate for $600-700 a month.
Now that isn't true. Florida homes are cheaper than anything you'll find in NYC. I'm a native New Yorker and previous Floridian.. as long as you're not buying some fancy house in Miami, real estate in the Sunshine State is relatively decent.. oh, and there's no snow.

As for the cost of living, the whole state is less than anything in NYC. Gas prices, groceries, etc. It cost me less to get by there than it ever did in NY.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:45 PM

I don't know, I would think florida is much cheaper in my opinion, and i seen things in florida that would cost at least $10 or more in ny.

and the no snow thing is a big plus.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
The job market for teachers is good but the salaries to afford the cost of living are not.

If you stay in the Pan Handle and Northern Florida you should be okay, Central is getting expensive but still is reachable and forget about South Florida.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:08 PM

I'll keep that in mind. thank you

Old 07-05-2007, 08:06 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clortho1 View Post
oh, and there's no snow.

I like having 4 seasons, thanks.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM

I have a little update. I just found out that I got accepted to University of South Florida, which if I go I will be attending the Sarasota campus. I'm excited but I'm just thinking about the commute from Port Charlotte to Sarasota 4 days a week.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,604 times
The commute to Sarasota and the commute to Ft Myers stink from Port Charlotte. Also, there was a shooting last night at those Murdock Apts, not very safe.

Look at taking classes at Edison in Punta Gorda (they are supposed to have a bach but in secondary education starting up soon) or take classes for USF at the Venice MCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida