Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 AM

122 posts, read 314,726 times

Advertisements

If your husband has aerospace experience, the logical location would be the Space Coast area (Titusville, Melbourne, Merritt Island, etc) but with the Shuttle being scuttled in Feb. 2011 I think the prospects are very bleak for aerospace here. There may be another flight of Atlantis in 2011 but I don't think governmental approval has yet happened. Pratt and Whitney is also in Palm Beach County but they are a faint ghost of what they used to be. Try getting into Boeing in WA instead. Don't come here without a job, unemployment - all around - is way too high here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM

11 posts, read 18,636 times
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Just a few responses. We are in Oklahoma now. Maybe aerospace was too fancy of a description, lol. He works in a aerospace parts warehouse. He also has his CDL and before the warehouse was a FEDEX courier.

I telecommute so we won't be without income.

Our son very much wants to attend Embry-Riddle so we are trying to get moved quickly enough so that he will qualify for in state tuition when he graduates.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
You might consider Jacksonville. It's a large metro area and has a lower cost of living. The economy is slightly better there than other areas of the state. There is a considerable presence of warehouses/distribution in the area, so your husband would have a lot of places to look at for work. In terms of Embry-Riddle, don't worry...there's no rush. It's not a state school, rather private, and the annual cost to attend is $40-$50K.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions! I especially appreciate the location suggestions, as we don't have the first clue where to even start researching.

One more question; or I guess point that I need clarified. We can't possibly move until January. How do you look for a job that you can't start for 5 months? I understand with white collar, professional jobs, but I really can't see a company hiring my husband as their shipping coordinator and being content with him not coming for 3 or 4 months. Is that the norm there?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM

122 posts, read 314,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by way2tyred View Post
Thanks again for the suggestions! I especially appreciate the location suggestions, as we don't have the first clue where to even start researching.

One more question; or I guess point that I need clarified. We can't possibly move until January. How do you look for a job that you can't start for 5 months? I understand with white collar, professional jobs, but I really can't see a company hiring my husband as their shipping coordinator and being content with him not coming for 3 or 4 months. Is that the norm there?
Based on your husbands background, the JAX suggestion is the best one all around. I believe it has the lowest unemployment of the whole state (still high but I think in the single digits) Most jobs will rarely wait that long for an applicant unless they are at the upper mgmt level. Even white collar jobs want most prospective candidates to start within 1-3 months. Whatever you do, secure the job BEFORE moving.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by way2tyred View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new and have a question. We are planning on moving to Fl after the first of the year (husband's lifelong dream).

I keep reading people's comments that it is very hard to find a job, no jobs, work impossible, etc. When you say no jobs do you literally mean NO jobs? No job at Walmart, no working at a convenience store, nothing?

We have no illusions when it comes to finding something like he has currently (aerospace field) but it doesn't take a lot to support our family; he is content to work in a factory or store, etc, and I can always go back to work if I need to (if there are jobs - executive admin assistant).

Would you guys say this isn't feasible? Logically it makes sense to try and get the job before moving. We have money for moving expenses and living expenses for a couple months, but that would get eaten away quickly by travelling for job interviews.

Any opinions or advice?

OP: I do not reside in Florida. It has been my dream to live in Florida as well. I love the weather and aesthetics. However, what has stopped me from moving there is the low-payscale/employment oppties.

One does NOT move to Florida for the beauty of it all; unless you are wealthy and/or have job(s) secured BEFOREHAND. The opportunities are there, but they are not the most lucrative ones.

I would recommend that you continue saving money until you have at least a year's worth of savings in the bank. Particularly if you have a family to maintain.

Best,

Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I just read in the Naples Daily News website that Naples had the highest (7.1%) income drop in the country. Not much industry in Naples to begin with, but it sounds like there are a lot of underemployed, or now part time, people here.

Not good since the cost of living in Naples is not cheap.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,817 times
a few things for the OP....

1-Embry-Riddle is not a state school, it's private, so there are no in-state tuition rates.
2-If I were in your shoes and wanted to move here, if I was your husband, I'd look for a job right here now and if I found one, I'd move here by myself, get a super-cheap efficiency apartment, and wait for you and your son to move over in January. Take the advice of this board....you do not want to just up and move here without a job.
3-If your son is going to school at ERAU, does that mean you want to live in that area (Daytona-Orlando)? That might limit your job-search a little.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Okay, how said is it that we've already put 2 kids through college and still didn't know that private colleges don't have instate tuition? This is good to know as it takes the rush off.

The kids and I can move anytime; it's my husband that can't leave until the first of the year. The are in the middle of a big project and he doesn't feel he can leave until it's completed. But if we have no time pressure, he will just not even start looking for something until Jan and hope he finds something before the real heat sets in, here OR there.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,182 times
I have heard the "over qualified" thing before. I live on Florida's east coast, just north of Kennedy Space Center. I am enrolled in nursing school-I already have a general AA-which means I do not have a certificate for office work (this infuriated me after taking several computer classes and writing umpteen research papers using Office 2000), nor the degree for specialized jobs, and am "over qualified" for most service jobs. My husband and I will probably leave the area as soon as I graduate.
If you have a degree in the medical field you will be okay in this area. Otherwise, jobs are scarce and the housing market is still inflated. Some would disagree with me on this point, but I say this because the Space Center is this area's largest employer and it is laying off nearly it's entire work force. This effects not only KSC, but also EVERY business in this area. People are leaving in droves and the ones staying are NOT spending. Businesses are certainly not hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida