Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveeast31 View Post
Actually what I asked last was if there was anyplace in Florida that has the brick wall fencing that Arizona has so much of. It wasn't really a problem as much as it was curiosity about Florida's home fencing situation.
I was kidding but i'll give you a real answer now.

There are some areas that you will see the brick wall fencing but the price is restrictive to many. The soil and settling in many areas here is also a deterent.
I for one have wire fencing because I don't want to restrict much of the wildlife passing through my property. It is enough to keep my dog in and keep most people from just walking on the property but the foxes, racoons, possum, bobcats, etc can still gain access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM

204 posts, read 628,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I was kidding but i'll give you a real answer now.

There are some areas that you will see the brick wall fencing but the price is restrictive to many. The soil and settling in many areas here is also a deterent.
I for one have wire fencing because I don't want to restrict much of the wildlife passing through my property. It is enough to keep my dog in and keep most people from just walking on the property but the foxes, racoons, possum, bobcats, etc can still gain access.
Ooooh o.k.! I felt like there was an underlying reason I wasn't seeing. Interesting, do you like having the wildlife come through? Not being sarcastic, I'm just interested as some people do and some don't.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM

162 posts, read 677,385 times
Quote:
Thank you...I totally missed this before my last post. Interesting, is there a reason why certain developments don't like the stone or brick fencing because I know that I think it looks pretty uniform and I wouldn't call it ugly. I'm just wondering because, at least out here, it seems to have so many positives.
Many new developments here are simply cookie-cutter homes on postage stamp sized lots. HOAs are very specific about what they want in order to keep uniformity. With the deed restrictions many have in place like my original post shared, a brick or stone wall would look ridiculous on these lots. Maybe that's part of why they create those restrictions.

Another reason for prohibiting the stone, brick, or stucco walls may be drainage issues. Large, solid walls may inhibit or redirect the flow of storm water.

I was once told that my stone columns for the fence posts would be considered too permanent. The next homeowner may not want something so permanent and another type of fence would suffice.

It may simply be because the HOAs believe they may require more maintenance and the homeowner won't maintain them.

Then there's the whole (hurricane standard) building code, how is it anchored, etc.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debidibly View Post
Many new developments here are simply cookie-cutter homes on postage stamp sized lots. HOAs are very specific about what they want in order to keep uniformity. With the deed restrictions many have in place like my original post shared, a brick or stone wall would look ridiculous on these lots. Maybe that's part of why they create those restrictions.

Another reason for prohibiting the stone, brick, or stucco walls may be drainage issues. Large, solid walls may inhibit or redirect the flow of storm water.

I was once told that my stone columns for the fence posts would be considered too permanent. The next homeowner may not want something so permanent and another type of fence would suffice.

It may simply be because the HOAs believe they may require more maintenance and the homeowner won't maintain them.

Then there's the whole (hurricane standard) building code, how is it anchored, etc.
Thank you, that answers a lot of my questions. they must be more prominent here because we don't have all the storms/drainage issues. Our ground does have problems absorbing water when we do get monsoon storms because it's so dry but there are drainage sections built into our fences that will handle any temporary flooding. Thanks for all the info!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Ooooh o.k.! I felt like there was an underlying reason I wasn't seeing. Interesting, do you like having the wildlife come through? Not being sarcastic, I'm just interested as some people do and some don't.
If it wasn't for my dog I would have no fence at all and love to see them come strolling through.
I am right off a 30,000+ acre preserve and that is one of the reasons I moved here.
I know some don't like it but to each his own.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If it wasn't for my dog I would have no fence at all and love to see them come strolling through.
I am right off a 30,000+ acre preserve and that is one of the reasons I moved here.
I know some don't like it but to each his own.
I love wildlife. Just as I was nervous about moving to Arizona because I wasn't familiar with it (not as dramatic as some make it seem) I am a little nervous about the unknown in Florida. I used to love the sound of frogs at night in Illinois, do you have anything like that there?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I love wildlife. Just as I was nervous about moving to Arizona because I wasn't familiar with it (not as dramatic as some make it seem) I am a little nervous about the unknown in Florida. I used to love the sound of frogs at night in Illinois, do you have anything like that there?
After the rain the frogs can be deafening, a good deafening though. I am near a few small lakes though and have some wetlands towards the front of the property so that does have something to do with it.

The wildlife in different areas will be completely different though and may have bearing on what you ultimately do.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Armadillo country up your way.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Armadillo country up your way.
OH Nuh uh!! I know that people find them destructive but I love love love armadillos!! I have had the screen name azarmadillo for years now and now I am super excited! @Mike...if I am moving to Ft. Myers/CC area what can I expect and btw I am now super excited as I absolutely adore the froggie sound! When I moved from Illinois it was something that I missed so much...out here you hear crickets and, um crickets!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
OH Nuh uh!! I know that people find them destructive but I love love love armadillos!! I have had the screen name azarmadillo for years now and now I am super excited! @Mike...if I am moving to Ft. Myers/CC area what can I expect and btw I am now super excited as I absolutely adore the froggie sound! When I moved from Illinois it was something that I missed so much...out here you hear crickets and, um crickets!
Might you be able to expect the iguanas in Cape Coral.......? My brother lives there and they are regularly in his yard.....

I like crickets and cicadias but I dont like that they eat my flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida