Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 5,492 times

Advertisements

I have got to get out. I need sunshine and better weather. Low crime rates, LOTS to do for young families, good area to expand a business, access to a beach, airport and good hospital. I'm sure this looks like most everyone's list but there are so many cities/areas in Fl and I've tried deciphering online but I feel it's best to get real info from real people...can anyone help? For more info please read my blog, new to this and wrote there first...thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:53 PM

191 posts, read 632,834 times
There are some well built areas in florida. You should try cities like Jacksonville,Jupiter even Sarasota. In that order.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Well, a beach shouldn't be a problem, but we need (or at least I do) more information before an area can be recommended.

What kind of business?

How big of an airport? What city do you need to get to to visit your children?

Good hospital because you have certain conditions, or just because you think it would be good to be near one in case something happens?

What's your preference, large metro area that's a big city, or rural where you have land to spread out?

I wouldn't worry about crime off the bat, usually areas have their good sides and bad sides.

And last but most important, what are your housing requirements and what is your budget?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 AM

228 posts, read 536,595 times
I recommend you visit the part of Florida you are interested in, preferably now, prior to moving to see if you "agree" with the weather and sunshine. Otherwise you will end up like many transplants; miserable, trapped indoors, develop health issues, have a fear of sweat, and wanting to move again because you don't enjoy to the weather. Research the threads here and you will see what I'm talking about.

Good Luck!!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Good advice

Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
I agree.

Research and time spent in the areas on your short list is a must.

Far too many post here they are moving to Florida and are not prepared in many ways with the changes. Then they come back that they hate Florida, blame Florida, its people, the crime, the schools etc when it actually comes down to them making poor decisions and not being prepared before moving.

Many end up in financial issues but never post about that, they just blame everything else for their problems.

Not to be mean to anyone but way too many fail in Florida because they did not prepare, had no long term plans and did not have the finances and budget in place then turn around and blame the people, the state and everything under the sun except themselves who was the fault in the first place. ( Yes, some of us know several personal stories of this happening )

I do not blame for you leaving Missouri, I about fall asleep at the wheel just driving through the state.

But please, research and time spend is vital and of course ask specific questions and take a trip down and spend foot time in the towns on your list.

Goodluck! Florida has a ton of things to offer people, especially those who are well organized, have plans and do their homework.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:24 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I totally get the misery mention, my misery is Philadelphia and after extensive research chose Oldsmar in the Tampa Bay area. I would highly recommend the Oldsmar/Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs area as it hits all of your criteria.

Low crime, excellent schools (Pinellas County Schools ranked #1 in Florida overall), low housing costs (just bought a very nice 2/2 condo, 1150 sq ft for $62,500), the area is 5 miles or less to beautiful Clearwater Beach (powder white sand!) Clearwater Beach | St. Petersburg Clearwater vacation and travel, close to Tampa International Airport (consistently ranked as one of the best airports by business travelers) TPA | Tampa International Airport, nearby Morton Plant Hospital is one of the best in Florida and nationally ranked for heart care Morton Plant Hospital

Come down and check it out, good luck!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
But please, research and time spend is vital and of course ask specific questions and take a trip down and spend foot time in the towns on your list.
And I'll add to this, don't stay in a hotel in the middle of a tourist attraction. Try to find a condo, house, or if you can't find those, an extended stay hotel in an area you feel might be a good fit after all your research.

You can't stay in the middle of a Disney park for instance and say, "FL is great" because then you'll probably be miserable when you've living in a house, Mickey Mouse isn't around every corner and there's no roller coaster to keep you entertained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida