Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:57 PM

29 posts, read 145,288 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what some of the most family friendly cities are in FL. I would like to live 20-30 miles from a major city (more employment options). Things I would be considering are safety, park system, nice schools, lots of things to do with family, etc.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
How about the Charlotte County area? You would be inbetween Sarasota which is about 50 miles or less and Fort Myers which is also about the same distance.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:50 PM

27 posts, read 174,164 times
Default Not an expert mind you

I would check on Melbourne area, and south suburban Jacksonville. I have heard good things about Charlotte County and Lakeland/WP area, too. I am not living in FL now, I have been studying the daylights out for a place to relocate my family and I have selected Jacksonville (Mandarin area).

Old 08-14-2006, 07:47 AM

19 posts, read 66,150 times
Default another area to mention

Pasco County (new port richey/trinty) we're 30 min to the Tampa Metro (Bush Garden - Lowery Zoo - YBOR city) & Clearwater/St.Pete - Orlando is within 2 hrs - 20 min to beaches - some wonderfull state parks (web site you can check out) pascocountyfl. net search for parks.
We've lived here for just over 5 yrs and crime is very low, the school district we have Deer Park/River Ridge is wonderful A+ schools, our area also has a lot of community outings for families, festivals-spook in the park they decorate the wilderness park & cabins for trick or treating just like Bush gardens, a really nice family area.

Hope it helps good luck

Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 AM

15 posts, read 49,958 times
Baker county is a good place you have Jacksonville 35 miles east and lakecity 35 miles to the west

Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 PM

165 posts, read 652,866 times
Thumbs up family friendly cities

Uh....I'll give a boost to my area of west central Florida. There are many nice areas at all prices in Pinellas County. You can get anything from city to almost rural..............yet the city is soooooo close. You have St. Petersburg and Clearwater as well as small towns and beach towns. The Tampa area is similar with Tampa close like St. Petersburg here. Hey you can run over to either area relatively quickly. If it is your cup of tea, another diversified area with city nearby is the Orlando area. There are plenty of family friendly places in Florida. Good luck hunting. (Research plenty then pick--I did and don't regret it.)

Old 08-22-2006, 07:33 PM

11 posts, read 46,683 times
Default family friendly towns

Try Winter Park. It is just close enough to Orlando to make it an easy commute, but it is definitely a family oriented community.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 27,100 times
Fishhawk Ranch is very famiy oriented and has great schools. It is located in Lithia just south of Brandon. You can check out their website at www.fishhawkranch.com

Old 08-22-2006, 07:42 PM

45 posts, read 174,111 times
Child Magazine in January 2006 rated Miami #4, Orlando #5 in its top 10 cities for families. A few of its critierion were ease of getting around, family-friendly restaurants, parks, entertainment.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 15,561 times
I was going to suggest Pinellas (or Pasco County) as well. I grew up in Palm Harbor and would love to move back to that area. Everytime we go there to visit my family, my husband comments on how he would love to live over there. Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Dunedin these are all about 10 minutes from Clearwater beach and close enough to Tampa for an easy commute. The schools are good, or at least I thought they were when I attended them. It is close to Busch Gardens , there are lots of parks on the Gulf of Mexico as well. I also like Trinity which was mentioned by another poster. When they first started construction over there my family looked at it for my Aunt, who ended up building in there but has since moved, and I begged my parents to move us there because it was so nice. Anyway, I now have a family of my own and live in Central Florida. I think it is getting a little too overgrown here, I like a calmer area, personally. I think you would like that area as it has a lot to offer without being too far away from Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida