Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 PM

573 posts, read 2,433,913 times

Advertisements

Personally I think the produce at Walmart is far worse than the meat. The meat used to be really bad about 5 years ago, but they have improved their packaging a lot. Winn Dixie has always been known for their poor meat quality. I buy Walmart meat all the time and haven't been grossed out in quite some time. Even their deli has improved over the years (Publix is still number 1, but soooo expensive, even the Publix brand)

Back to Publix, one thing I LOVE are the cool shopping carts for my kids. My little ones love sitting in the "car" cart! I can shop much longer in Publix because of their special carts. Both kids (ages 1 and 4) can sit in the front and don't complain about wanting to get out and run around. Walmart has kinda cool carts, but they are so cumbersome to push around and are a little dirty in my opinion. If I want a really good shopping experience, I go to Publix.

But usually I do most of my heavy shopping when the kids go to bed and by that time Publix is closed : (
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 AM

61 posts, read 225,082 times
I am sure there are many publx employees on this forum so i won't debate anyone.
Yes publix is a very nice store, but the prices are ridiculous. I would shop there if i was a millionaire. Seems most of the shoppers there are 80 year olds who don't care about saving money, or soccer moms who don't care about the value of a dollar.
As far as the screaming kids, they are in every store. I doubt that little kids say "gee i am in publix, i will not whine for candy"
As far as employee owned that is funny. Most of the employees at my publix are 17 year old kids. Employee owned means "the jenkins family" and top executives who control 57% of the publix stock according to the SEC and finance.yahoo.com profile of publix.
If you want to pay 5 dollars for a name brand frozen dinner that is 4 dollars everywhere else, then be my guest.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:17 AM

30 posts, read 149,466 times
I seriously can't remember ever going into Wal-Mart and not being pissed off when I leave.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 AM

504 posts, read 1,760,330 times
I have a Winn Dixie, Albertsons, Bravo, used to be Usave now a Hispanic market, Sav an Pac and a Sweet Bay, was Kash and Karry and a Publix all within 2 miles of my house. Publix is always busy and not with people that do not care about money . I live in a neighborhood that is 50 percent Hispanic and they shop at Publix along with the more affluent. I am not a Publix employee, nor do I have any relatives that work there. The store is always clean and well stocked, getting in and out even when the store is crowded is faster than the other stores.
Take your other store receipt to Publix and compare thier prices. The deli meat is a little more but well worth it. Read the ingredients from the other stores.
I too have never left Wal Mart in a good mood.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,139,888 times
I have 3 Publx stores in 2 mile range of my house. I've been shopping there for 15 years. I tried Win-Dixie, Kash-n-Kerry (Sweet Bay) and Albertson, i always went back to Publix. I can honestly say that Publix beats the other two in Customer service and clean stores by miles.
As far as prices go.... I usually get a Publix flyer to see if anything i use frequently is on sale, and their sales are every Wedn. and have a lot of stuff you can buy in big quantities and safe. (I'm not a cupon clipper by any means, i actually hate it LOL)

All other stores: i can't stand that "Saving Card" you must have to save. Save on what?? They jack up prices and then tell you, well, with our card you can save this much. Please, why not have a CARD price everyday? Get rid of the cards, who cares? I found customer service is totally out, stores are filthy. There is a reason that cashiers standing around twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do. Customers go where service is, no matter what the prices are. And i don't find Publix any more expensive then other stores. Get a flyer and go shopping!

Certain stuff is cheaper elsewhere, of course. I buy my milk at Walgreens or CVS for 2.89/gl, but i buy my meat at Publix. Once in a while Albertson has good sales on Ribyes and such, then i will waste my time to go there and get it. We don't eat that much red meat anyway.

BTW, i'm not 80 and i'm not rich. I'm an everage 30+ working female.

Here is a website that lists every store in the nation, grocery and others, and their flyers/cupons for the current week. I found it somewhat helpful.

SundaySaver: National - Weekly Sales Circulars & Sunday Newspaper Ads

Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,274,023 times
News Flash for lovers of Publix, I was there today and got to talking to one of the ladies in the deli and found that Publix is expanding.

The now have stores in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Tennessess.

You can go to their website to see if there is one close to you.
Welcome to Publix Super Markets, Inc.

This lady told me they have plans to expand so hold on a bit and one might pop up in your area.

I also found out that they are one of the top ten best employers for the 10th year running. Happier employees make for better service.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,251,909 times
publix is like a nice little vacation from the real world!
I love publix ...I love the Fresh Market even more, but it's to expesive for my blood.

My publix and I are best friends!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,974 times
Really sad that you miss Publix. They treat their customers very badly.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,486,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia1354 View Post
I love Publix too. I always tell everyone that Publix is, "zen", lol. I would NEVER buy meat and/or produce at Wal-Mart. As a matter of fact, I try to avoid, "Wally World", as we call it. I'll tell you something else too -- I got the cutiest purse and sandals at Publix. And at the bakery, they aren't afraid of special orders. I always order birthday cakes with fresh fruit between the layers.

Oh, that sounds yummy to me. I can't wait to move soon to try all of these things people are talking about.
I am getting chicken wings, cuban sandwiches and now a cake with fruit between the layers.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,427,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia1354 View Post
I seriously can't remember ever going into Wal-Mart and not being pissed off when I leave.

I do my food shopping at WalMart because of Publix's prices. Yes, when they have sales Publix is well-priced, but about 70% of the items they have on sale I don't use!!

The customer service at WalMart is the opposite side of the spectrum from Publix, but shopping there I've found I save about $1.00 PER ITEM....sometimes MORE!! I go early AM (around 7:30) & I've yet to hear any screaming kids or rude employees. Being a vegetarian I don't worry about the quality of their meat or fish & for produce I go to the "local home-grown" stand down the street...great quality & preserving the "mom & pop" place.

In fact, I had to stop at Publix this morning (their potato salad IS the best!) to get a few things for friends flying down & decided to do all my shopping there for convenience.... Calculating the same items I always buy (less the "goodies" for our guests) I spent almost DOUBLE what I pay at WalMart!!

It was nice to see Publix employees I've "befriended" before WalMart came to town, but it's back to WalMart for the shopping I go!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida