Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,331,052 times

Advertisements

Vero Beach...

1. Excellent schools.
2. Lots of new hotels and malls in the works so security jobs might be avail.
3. Move 6 miles from the beach and buy a newer home that comes with builder-supplied hurricane shutters. Also HO ins. is based on zip code so the further you are from the ocean, the lower the price.
4. Low to no crime.
5. Plenty of homes in your range.
6. Close enough to Melbourne, W. Palm Beach, and Orlando for culture, though we do have a beautiful museum and Theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
My wife's family is in the West Palm Beach area. I like Wellington but I've read some bad things about Palm Beach County Re: Crime etc. Can anyone recommend some nice cities/towns with the following to consider in order of importance:
1) Schools - I have three school age children and need the schools to be top notch (please no jokes about the Florida educational system sucking).
2) Employment - I will be relocating with a pension but am still young and want to work in the security or investigations field.
3) Hurricane Proof - I don't want to be on the water with a home built in the 1970s that will be washed away with the first hurricane that comes through.
4) Crime - Low crime rate which I believe everyone would like.
5) Affordable Housing - I could probably afford up to about $450,000 for a four bedroom home.
6) Size of City - I don't need a city per se like Jacksonville but I need to be close enough to a city so I could drive there for some sort of culture and employment.
I know I've made it tough but I've read a lot of real good posts on this board and I'm sure some of you will have some great cities/towns for me to research. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 AM

137 posts, read 548,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRlinda View Post
Try rural Florida. Weather nice, taxes, crime low. Look at the FL Dept of Ed website for the official school grades (based on student gains) - a good indicator of the quality of schools.

We are in Gilchrist, but don't come here unless you promise to be nice and NEVER tell us how you did it up North.
Good luck!!

I am in Levy county and I 2nd that! I think the rural part of Fl is the best, prices are cheaper & you get that family atmosphere but it can be a little challenging to fit in if you aren't willing to remember you are in the south now. Take a look at Chiefland, Ocala and Gainesville....hey HRLINDA notice I didn't say Bronson, Tenton or Bell....haha

Good Luck there are a lot of nice places to live in North or North Central Florida!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 PM

18 posts, read 119,244 times
High Springs... Small town,good folks right outside of Gainsville. Bell..very small town again still close to Gainsville or Lake City. I like Lake City better than Gainsville. schools in Bell are great. I dont live there anymore, I wish I did. We relocated because of my husbands job expanded. I would live in Gilchrist or Alauchua counties. Very low crime rates. Friendly folks. I lived in Jacksonville. Never ever do that!!!! Just visit the beaches and then go home. Certain parts of town smell like dead fish to me. The crime there is outrageous. Just walking outside your house could be dangerous, I watched some people bash in a car with basball bats in a church parking lot....good thing I was across the street in the Winn-Dixie shopping center, I was like...dont see nothing dont know nothing, okay I'm home safe.......for now. Homeless people like to live there because of the beaches. OH NO!! was that a candy bar floating in the water or was That ???? EW!

Last edited by georgia123; 10-25-2007 at 10:46 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 PM

86 posts, read 416,009 times
Schools in Palm Beach County are relatively strong. I am a product of that education myself. I wouldn't recommend Wellington- high home prices, lots of white-collar drugs, and nothing to do besides a big mall. Boca Raton or Palm Beach Gardens better fit many of your requirements... except maybe home prices. There are some cheaper areas in both of those cities, but $450,000 is cutting it for a house big enough for 5 people.

Don't buy wood, unless you want termites galore and your house to sustain damage in a Category 4 or 5. Get a strong concrete home, preferably away from flood zones.

The most frequent crime in Palm Beach County is centered in four areas: Riviera Beach, east Delray around Federal Highway, certain parts of Lake Worth, and poorer areas of West Palm. If you stay in the western suburbs or near the water, you'll be a-ok!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM

166 posts, read 245,834 times
I totally agree with the people recommending northern, rural Florida. Between Gainesville and the state line is an undiscovered paradise. I live in McAlpin (in Suwannee county) and when I told people I was moving here from Jax, EVERYONE said "Where??" lol

Acreage is still available AND affordable. Crime is low.....if you forget to put something away in your yard, you can do it next month 'cause it will still be right where you left it!
I have just over 10 acres and absolutely love it here especially now that fall's here. The neighbors are real honest-to goodness southereners! They're there if you ever need help, friendly enough to wave if they see you outside, but not in your face all the time.

I own this end of my block, so no one can get any closer than they are right now.
I grant you we may have to drive an hour to do any major shopping, but if you just want to shop then return to your country paradise, this is the place! The normal, everyday shopping is 15 minutes away in Live Oak.
Community means something here!
It's going to half kill me to move, but I have to leave. I'm taking pictures ,both digital and mentally to last me through the years.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 17,305 times
I'm looking for similar only I'm a divorced mom, just my 8yr old daughter and me, looking for good school district, low crime, nice neighborhood, in central Florida. I'm a waitress would like a job in the WDW district, also my dream of working at WDW so want to be somewhat close. Looking to rent apt or buy condo (2 bedrooms with cats) at around 800-1100/mo? Any suggestions?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,490 times
Levy County sounds perfect! I currently live in Flagler County, and this once-friendly and beautiful place has been ruined by the rude, pushy, demanding northerners who have overrun Flagler and who think everything should be done their way because THEY'RE HERE NOW! (I must confess, I'm from Northern New Jersey). I came to Florida to get away from such people, and it seems they've all followed me here! Levy County seems to be just like Flagler was years ago. I long to be among nice, neighborly folks, and it sure sounds like your area of Florida might be just what I'm looking for, and i promise I'm a VERY nice person who never has, in the thirteen years I've been here, never DREAMED of saying, "This is the way we did it in New Jersey." I promise, if the good Lord ever makes it possible for me to move out this place that He seems to have forsaken, and into Levy County, I'll fit in perfectly.

Last edited by slraffo; 11-15-2007 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add , change phrasing and correct spelling

Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 AM

137 posts, read 548,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slraffo View Post
Levy County sounds perfect! I currently live in Flagler County, and this once-friendly and beautiful place has been ruined by the rude, pushy, demanding northerners who have overrun Flagler and who think everything should be done their way because THEY'RE HERE NOW! (I must confess, I'm from Northern New Jersey). I came to Florida to get away from such people, and it seems they've all followed me here! Levy County seems to be just like Flagler was years ago. I long to be among nice, neighborly folks, and it sure sounds like your area of Florida might be just what I'm looking for, and i promise I'm a VERY nice person who never has, in the thirteen years I've been here, never DREAMED of saying, "This is the way we did it in New Jersey." I promise, if the good Lord ever makes it possible for me to move out this place that He seems to have forsaken, and into Levy County, I'll fit in perfectly.

Have you been to Levy County? Try looking in Bronson or Williston and see what you think. I think you could get a nice house in a nice "rural" area for under $200, maybe way under. I live between Bronson and Archer (still Levy county side) and I like it. It takes me about 20-30 mins to drive into Gainesville (where most of us work & shop). If you live in Williston it would be about equal distance to Gainesville and Ocala about 30-40 min. Come take a look, we are a rural area with lots to offer and land taxes are way cheaper here. Example: My house is 3k sq ft, built in 2001, on 1 1/4 acres w/pool, 4bd 3ba, $1600 taxes and about $900 in insurance. Let me know if you have any questions, we are ALWAYS looking for good neighbors and if you have kids, I think you will love this area. Just keep in mind some parts are poor, but there is a nice mix of middle class living here too!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 110,196 times
Default Wellington is still a good place to live!

With the market slowdown, Wellington is in your price range since you are willing to go into the low $400,000 range.

There are challenges with the schools, but if you stay in Western Wellington, there is little or no chance that your kids will be going to school with kids bused from other higher crime areas.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,161 times
hello there i have a 14 a 15yr old and a 7 yr old any nice community with good school system n which city would u recommend? thank u guys i currently live in South Jersey but the cost of livin here is Ridiculsly High,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida