Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,427 times

Advertisements

I've been battling noseeums in my house for months now to no avail. I've tried just about everything in the forum with the exception of heat treatment which is very disruptive. Yesterday a friend shared a treatment that is easy and it worked. I put the thermostat in my house down to 62. I went out around 3:00PM yesterday and turned the stat down before I left. I went to dinner and came back after 10PM. The house was just about 63 degrees. This was the first night in many months that I didn't have the critters biting me in my bed. The only thing was I had to use two blankets and a comforter for the chilly environment. I turned the temp back up to normal at 8AM this morning and nothing is biting me in the house. This is truly a miracle considering all the money spent and agravation over the last few months. I know about the neverending spread of these criters. When the female bites she then lays eggs that hatch in a few days and the cycle never ends as long as they are being fed as an earlier forum entry stated. I'm going to repeat this process over the next week and hopefully will permanently eradicate these bugs from my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,821 times
We drove to clear water fl. For our sons wedding that was on the beach, and we brought no see ums back to colorado in our car, now our house is infested with them they got in our clothes we are getting bit constantly since the first of october and i was told since we live in colorado it would be to cold for them and they will die off it has been very cold and we still have them in our home and they keep bitting us mostly me. We have bombed the house 5 times with hot shot flea and bed bug bombs and we have done everything we can think of can someone please please tell me how to get rid of them for good we are getting eaten alive and it just seems to be getting worse every day please help !!!!!!!
Thanks michelle from colorado

Old 01-10-2016, 07:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
What's the Trick to Battling No-See-Ums/Sand Flies/Sand Gnats?

The use of pesticides with extreme prejudice

Old 07-05-2017, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saboonchi View Post
I get bitten in bed every night and can't see anything in my bed. I use a very strong pesticide every night on my bed to be able to get some sleep without itching all night. I thought maybe they are noseeums. Does anyone have any idea what they are and how I can get rid of them for good?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
[/quote]

Try Shredding Dry Coconut Husks And Burn Like Incense
The Smoke Drives Them Away Here In Key West

Old 07-08-2017, 05:39 PM

274 posts, read 326,477 times
After reading all of these posts I am convinced that many people here actually have bed bugs. Especially if you are being bitten in your house. Especially in bed. Especially if you traveled and brought them back. All the lotion in the world is not going to help. Bed bugs have recently enjoyed a resurgence in our country after having been eradicated for many years when they used to spray DDT. They are now in all the major cities, many hotels and even on public transit. Please research Bed Bugs if this applies to you.

Bed Bugs are very tiny and its unlikely you will see them until the infestation really gets out of hand. They hide in small cracks in furniture during the day and come out at night. Like a thin crack in the headboard of a bed where 2 pieces of wood fit together. They bite and feed and you do not feel it. The welts may not appear until hours later. Some people get bit more because they breath heavier. They follow a carbon dioxide trail (exhale). They only feed about 1x/week. So bit every day is all different bugs. Your infestation is major. At first people get bit only every week-10 days and do not think much of it. But the bite pattern is very unique: 3 bites in a row. Look it up.

I am allergic and get a very large welt. Looking under the mattress in hotels does not always work. They can be in the headboard or the carpet. My work got an infestation in one office suite once. They were in the carpet. I was bit on the lower legs during the day and actually thought they were in my house and biting me in bed. It was at work! That took a long time to figure out even though I was the only one in the house getting bit.

Heat treatment of a house is one solution. They also live inside walls and exterminators can pump stuff into the electric outlets where they come and go. But the best solution is plain old diatomaceous earth. It will kill any bug. Bugs breath through holes in their sides. Cover them with powder and you suffocate them. That's why birds take "dust baths". Put diatomaceous earth on the floor surrounding the bed. Under the bed. All over the frame. It's like baby powder. Around the walls of the room along the base. They have to walk in it to get to you. It's cheap and effective. Also, take up your rugs and live with bare floors. It's easier. They sell bed bug mattress covers which will contain any in the mattress and eventually kill them. But remember, they live dormant all winter in cold beach houses (NJ, DE, NC) and come back to life and feed once summer arrives. You won't kill them for months.

Good luck and I really hope everyone who has a bug problem is able to solve it!

Old 07-08-2017, 05:49 PM

30,404 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Stay inside clyde is the best way.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM

8 posts, read 10,315 times
Bed bugs don't fly. No see ums do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida