Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 AM

20 posts, read 76,930 times

Advertisements

I live about 40 miles west of Gainesville, and have lived and gone to school in the city. It's a nice place, with several small towns within 20 miles to commute from if you don't wish to live in the city proper. If you both have decent jobs, there are many bargains in the real estate market here. For not a lot more than you've mentioned as your housing budget, you could find yourself living on some nice acreage out in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optigal View Post
Thanks gypsychic. Your information has been very hepful!
Your welcome! Glad I could help.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 AM

9 posts, read 40,333 times
With the job at Palatka would living in St. Augustine be out of the question? Is it about a 30 minute commute? I have visited there and it seems to be a very nice city. Any areas there to watch out for as "good" or "bad"?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Gainesville small town commutes: Micanopy, McIntosh, Archer, Newberry and maybe even Williston are decent commutes into the VA hospital area.

If you are in Palatka instead, you have a variety of options with Green Cove Springs being a great one....but comparative to Palatka in rent and commodities.

Hard to compare Palatka to Gainesville. Both are VERY different. I grew up in this area. You'll have lots to choose from after you know for sure where you are going.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Gainesville small town commutes: Micanopy, McIntosh, Archer, Newberry and maybe even Williston are decent commutes into the VA hospital area.

If you are in Palatka instead, you have a variety of options with Green Cove Springs being a great one....but comparative to Palatka in rent and commodities.

Hard to compare Palatka to Gainesville. Both are VERY different. I grew up in this area. You'll have lots to choose from after you know for sure where you are going.

He actually took the job in Palatka so Gainesville is out. Would you recommend Green Cove Springs over St. Augustine? We are young 50's looking for apartments with pool privleges (sp?)Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by optigal; 09-02-2010 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: want to add text

Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 AM

20 posts, read 76,930 times
I love St. Augustine, we go over once or twice a year to visit the beach and wander around and soak up some history. That being said, if I were going to live over there, I think I'd rather live along the river over by Green Cove Springs. It's much more rural, but still close to shopping and other urban amenities. I suspect the cost of living will be considerably less there, also.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,217 times
From Palatka and currently live in Gainesville. My husband and I are both nurses, and he works for the VA in Gainesville.

Honestly, it depends on what you are looking for. Palataka is not slummy (c'mon people) There are good parts and bad parts everywhere. As far as rentals. There is not a lot in Palatka. Only a few apartment complexes. The biggest plus for Palatka, is the small town feel and an easy commute to other cities (St. Augustine-Orange Park-Gainesville)

I like that Gainesville has more shopping (yah for that) the price of living is higher, and IMO rent can be crazy. We are renting a 3bdrm apartment and it cost almost 1100 a month. The traffic is also nuts when the students are around....but overall it is an okay place to live. There are not a lot of jobs here though-a lot of the new grads from the University scoop them up.

Thats about all I can think of.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,217 times
you can still live in Gainesville and work in Palatka. Its a pretty easy drive (I work PRN for home health in Palatka still) but I would recommend St. Augustine if it is between Green Cove and there.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. I think he has found a place in Orange Park. A bit of a drive to Palatka but I think it will work out OK. I will be leaving Ohio a week from today to meet up with him and very excited about getting there.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 AM

Now that I am almost packed & ready to hit the road in 4 more days, I have one last question....... How much of my "winter" clothes do I really need? I have heard yes it does get cold enough for a coat & others say no. Longsleeve shirts good enough to keep & toss all the sweaters? Please help me out with this final dilemma! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida