U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,599,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia1354 View Post
Here's something I totally don't understand -- Why are we, as individuals, pressured to conserve water? Here's what I mean; You always see those commercials on t.v. about how to water your lawn, when to water your lawn, and how much to water your lawn. And yet, just down the road from me are NUMEROUS multi, multi family developements being built. Usually named for the animal or resource that was chased away or done away with to develop the place, " Turtle Creek", "Eagles Nest", "Shady Oak", etc. Each of these developments has sometimes hundreds of houses. Each house usually has a family of at least 3 or 4 or more. Each of these families take showers, do laundry, flush toillets, wash dishes, wash their vehicles, fill their pools...and water their lawns.

And it seems like developers see a beautiful place, and somehow, in their souls think the best thing to do in this beautiful place is to level it and put 250house, (all close together) on it.

Your thoughts?
This is a great but true post ! We have three years worth of homes and less water each year. This should make selling them a little harder when you have to pay more for water too. Very sad !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 AM

282 posts, read 346,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Magnolia1354, you hit the nail on the head!!! I couldn't agree with you more on this topic.

Well, I've got my own sprinkler well - the water is under my land, and I will water my lawn as much as I want.
Some of your comments made me laugh. But some I agree with. IMO, if somebody has paid for their own water source, from the land they paid for, power to them. People should not expect the "Government" to provide free or inexpensive things for them. The government are the people paying taxes. If people in a community want to pay for their own desalination plant etc, go for it. But don't expect other tax payers to subsized your $500/month water bill.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:10 AM

434 posts, read 471,991 times
Quote:
Here's something I totally don't understand -- Why are we, as individuals, pressured to conserve water? Here's what I mean; You always see those commercials on t.v. about how to water your lawn, when to water your lawn, and how much to water your lawn. And yet, just down the road from me are NUMEROUS multi, multi family developements being built. Usually named for the animal or resource that was chased away or done away with to develop the place, " Turtle Creek", "Eagles Nest", "Shady Oak", etc. Each of these developments has sometimes hundreds of houses. Each house usually has a family of at least 3 or 4 or more. Each of these families take showers, do laundry, flush toillets, wash dishes, wash their vehicles, fill their pools...and water their lawns.

And it seems like developers see a beautiful place, and somehow, in their souls think the best thing to do in this beautiful place is to level it and put 250house, (all close together) on it.

Your thoughts?
You realize that multi-family developments typically use far less water per capita than housing the same number of people in single family homes, right?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM

10,140 posts, read 13,163,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The only way Florida can get money is to sell itself like a prostitute. The land is the only resource people will pay for. If development stops, the money stops flowing. Development will continue regardless of whether the environment can support it. After all, you can always charge the suckers more money to live in "paradise". They have unlimited money it seems.
??? 'Sell itself like a prostitute?' - What got you all riled-up? -- Actually, Florida subscribes to the "sell the sizzle and not the steak" philosophy. Statistically, Florida had over 90-million visitors last year... and about '350K' new residents; which suggests that almost 90-million people paid for something besides land.

Not to further confuse the issue with facts, but, at least half of Florida (or more?) is relatively undeveloped, with over 2.5 million acres in the Florida Forever Conservancy alone.

Last edited by jghorton; 12-13-2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 10:47 AM

12,505 posts, read 9,293,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSRSJim View Post
Some of your comments made me laugh. But some I agree with. IMO, if somebody has paid for their own water source, from the land they paid for, power to them. People should not expect the "Government" to provide free or inexpensive things for them. The government are the people paying taxes. If people in a community want to pay for their own desalination plant etc, go for it. But don't expect other tax payers to subsized your $500/month water bill.
I guess you realize that this thread is 7 years old? The comments are still pertinent, though, as we've pretty much seen that water restriction has become a way of life in Florida, despite there being ample rainfall here throughout the years.

As to the question about having to comply with water conservation/restriction regulations when you're not using municipal water, ( ie, having your own water supply), at least here in Florida most of the water, even private wells comes from the same source, the Florida aquifers. The articles linked below provide information about these aquifers, and the effect of having to supply water for Florida's booming population on these aquifers ( ie, salt water intrusion from the seas when the water supply becomes low due to lack of rainfall or heavy use). While well owners don't have to pay for their water (yet, I figure the guv'mint is working on regulations that may mandate that), they are required to comply with applicable water restrictions.

SWAP: Aquifer Descriptions

Florida's Water Then and Now

Old 12-13-2014, 10:54 AM

5,952 posts, read 4,247,127 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. Florida depends heavily on tourist dollars. I'm not so sure it's in our best interest to forget that and pave over what exactly people have come here to enjoy. Am I wrong here?
Tourist don't come to see the suburban sprawl, I doubt they care unless they start building right on the beaches and privatizing the shore line. The problem with water is that is too cheap, water should be more expensive so people stop wasting it, that's the free market way.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:34 PM

434 posts, read 471,991 times
^The problem there is, it's only private citizens who get subjected tosuch billing. Agro-business and industrial uses still use whatever water they want unfettered.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,838,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Tourist don't come to see the suburban sprawl, I doubt they care unless they start building right on the beaches and privatizing the shore line. The problem with water is that is too cheap, water should be more expensive so people stop wasting it, that's the free market way.
We'd be better off if it was just flat illegal to squirt water on lawns or any other kind of decorative landscaping. Or put chemicals on those things. The water use is a total waste--we don't eat the grass. And the chemicals pollute the natural resources that are key to tourism.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:08 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,073,764 times
With the cost and the hassle of maintaining a lawn in Florida i'm surprised more people dont favor gravel lawns.Or at least large sections of their landscape given to the maintenance free aspect of gravel.
As an example=
http://photography.nationalgeographi...l-lawns-blair/

Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 AM

808 posts, read 1,876,590 times
I prefer the all natural coral rock lawn even without watering ya still got pull them weeds!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: