Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,625,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Where do you live that you pay 3% of the sales price on property tax? I haven't heard of any this high in Florida? Also, property tax is not based on sales price, but assessed at value.
....Right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 04:29 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,249,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I must be an idiot, but some things you just don't pay attention to.

I just saw that Florida has no income tax, but there is a state sales tax (which sounds reasonable).

What EXACTLY am I not paying in FL that I pay in VA?
My current paycheck has:
Federal withholding tax
Social security
VA state tax

It sounds as if the state gets extra taxes for it's tourism (hotel tax etc) that reduces the actual taxes the residents pay.

This may be a really dumb question - but I honestly don't pay attention because Virginia has really high taxes (specifically where I lived in Fairfax County before).
Well, Fairfax County is definately a high tax area. I believe you get nailed by pretty high local tax from the county on top of the state tax there as well (though not taken out of your paycheck). Also you won't have to deal with yearly vehicle inspections and bi-annual emission inspections. However, it comes back on you in car insurance (I moved the other direction from Florida to Virginia) as my car insurance was nearly cut in half.

You'll certainly love no state tax coming out of your paycheck. Certainly a nice aspect of Florida that they make the tourists pay for everything..

Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,314,418 times
Thanks VAFURY!
Wow - no vehicle inspections? That alone is priceless - nothing I hate more than waiting in line for a car inspection. The emissions test is only done in the Northern VA area, not here in Tidewater.

I keep reading that Florida is so expensive, but living in Fairfax County has got to be much worse. In 2 1/2 years my mortgage pmt went up over $250 a month due to taxes. I couldn't afford it anymore so I had to leave and came to the VA Beach area where I had family. The traffic - the 2nd reason I left. The cost of living is less here, but crime is worse. Every night the news is either about murders or the weather.

The main reason we want to move (other than hubby's job opportunity) is the lifestyle in South Florida. I lived in big city suburbs for 41 years, and mid city beachy suburbs for almost 4 years. We are getting closer to the quality of life we like, but aren't there yet.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM

200 posts, read 680,693 times
Hang on until JAN 08 - see what happens to the PROPERTY TAXES. Florida is gonna get bit, I am sure!!!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,249,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Thanks VAFURY!
Wow - no vehicle inspections? That alone is priceless - nothing I hate more than waiting in line for a car inspection. The emissions test is only done in the Northern VA area, not here in Tidewater.

I keep reading that Florida is so expensive, but living in Fairfax County has got to be much worse. In 2 1/2 years my mortgage pmt went up over $250 a month due to taxes. I couldn't afford it anymore so I had to leave and came to the VA Beach area where I had family. The traffic - the 2nd reason I left. The cost of living is less here, but crime is worse. Every night the news is either about murders or the weather.

The main reason we want to move (other than hubby's job opportunity) is the lifestyle in South Florida. I lived in big city suburbs for 41 years, and mid city beachy suburbs for almost 4 years. We are getting closer to the quality of life we like, but aren't there yet.
Yeah, people that lived in the DC surrounding areas have every right to laugh when they see Floridians complain about real estate as though it's unique to there... Florida got a major real estate shock too in the last few years and people are none too happy about it there either, but the median home prices tend to be more affordable than NoVA....

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: