Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

I can't help it, but every time someone tells me he's from Buffalo, I think of a silly game show that was on TV about 30 years ago called Make Me Laugh with Bobby Van.

The goal was for a contestant to sit & endure listening to the stupidest jokes without cracking a smile. I wish I could remember who the comedian was, but I just remember one show when a man from New York was a contestant. The comedian asked "So where are you from?" and the man answered, "I'm from Buffalo." The next thing out of the comic's mouth was "That's weird. Most people are from human beings."

Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4merWNYer View Post

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Yes.

I hate it here until I watch the spectacular sunset over the water or the egrets & herons in my backyard. There's one huge wood stork that stands at my door and stares into the house. He once chased me, so I suspect the people who lived here before fed the birds..not that I ever would do something so silly!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
I haven't had any problems making friends down here over the years...? Of course most of them are from MA, PA, NY, IL, IN, MO.... A few Floridians, but since they are so scarce not many. I think it may be how one presents themselves. I get along with anyone, and every property I have worked at I have made some really good friends.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
Regret wouldn't exactly be the correct word, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably stay in Northern NY.

I moved down here in my early twenties to take a job in the field that I had wanted my entire life. Being that young, just having the job was all I cared about. As we get older our priorities change. Now that I have a house payment, a wife and kids, I find myself wanting to move back up north to provide them with a better quality of life. If I had stayed up there, I would be making 2.5 times the amount of money that I'm making here. Land and houses are cheaper up there and I wouldn't have to pick up the newspaper and read about the latest murder, rape, robbery or deadly car crash that occured the night before. Those stories are in Florida newspapers every single day.

Last year I was in the hiring process for a job in my field in the northeast. The pay and benefits would have been much better and the area that I was going to was going to be much less populated and much less violent than Florida. Ironically, the only reason that I couldn't accept the job is because I couldn't afford to move. It's quite amusing to think that to improve my standard of living I have to move to another state and get a better job, but because my standard of living is so low in Florida, I can't. Now by no means am I saying that I'm some poor son of a gun that can't put food on the table. I have a good job with ok benefits. But my comrades in other states are MUCH better off than I am.
I was told that when i moved down. Dont spend all the money that you bring down with you, because when it's all gone, your stuck here. It seems to happen quite often.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I was told that when i moved down. Dont spend all the money that you bring down with you, because when it's all gone, your stuck here. It seems to happen quite often.
I can attest to that. That is why I am still here. I am saving to move up.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Yes I regret it-the quality of life here is horrible compared to Colorado-I am not sure if I would regret it so much if Florida's economy wasn't so bad..but it's the little things-I don't jog anymore outside because I don't feel safe by myself, people aren't healthy...

Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM

335 posts, read 939,085 times
I echo many of the above sentiments. I have been in Florida for almost eight years now, and while I do not regret coming here, it is time for me to move on.

Edited to add: I am stuck here because of money/jobs and I am trying to make a move but of course it is a tough time right now.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Amen to that!

Of course that can happen anywhere. Out of curiosity I checked the monthly rent for the 1 bedroom apartment I rented in Woburn, MA in 1985 for $545. (where I could hear my neighbor snoring) It's currently more than $1,500 a month. The 2 bedroom I shared in Malden is $1,800 a month. You can't get close to Boston for much less. You can rent a nice place in many areas of FL for under $800. I've been offered a very nice remodeled 2/2 house for $650 plus utilities, although it's a little out of the way. But.....

When I first moved to FL, the first thing I noticed was the big drop in income. I couldn't just sit around and wait, so I took a job making half of what I earned up north. At first, since the cost of living is lower, I did my best to accept that big gap because we're "paid in sunshine" as the expression goes. Over time you realize that, although housing is usually less, you still need clothing, food, a car, insurance, gas, medical care, etc. It's definitely less expensive to live in Florida, depending on your lifestyle, but if you made $75,000 at a job and are now making $30,000 for the same hours, you can take a lot of vacations to make up for the weather.

However, there are many positive things about living in a warm climate with a lot of sunshine. Right now I can't imagine living in a cold environment and dealing with snow & ice because of an injury. Cold weather exacerbates the symptoms of muscle, nerve & joint problems, including fibromyalgia, arthritis and rheumatism, one reason so many older people retire here. Of course, the best place to live is always the one where you'll be the happiest!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
I thank my lucky stars I didn't buy a house here-I feel for people that have and can't move...

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM

335 posts, read 939,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I thank my lucky stars I didn't buy a house here-I feel for people that have and can't move...
Me too! Although my lease would be prohibitively expensive to break at least it ends at some point and I am not stuck in a house that won't sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida