Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 PM

45 posts, read 76,911 times

Advertisements

bigh I hear ya!! We LOVE Islamorada and we always go to Bahia Honda, and the only reason we decided not to move there is because if we do, we won't have anywhere to escape to! It really is glorious in those "lower latitudes"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM

Miami is very urban with a big Latin community. I am Cuban on my Moms side, so I visited family there over summers of my youth, and boy did I get to practice my language skills! There are some really cool areas though, but the cost of living tends to be a little on the high side. A friend of mine has a condo there- she's American and her husband is Brit and he loves it. I haven't spent too much time in Tampa, but my impression of it is it's more of a city of commerce if that makes sense. BOTH are congested. My husband's cousin lives outside of Tampa and although for me it's a nice visit, I prefer the east coast. I have noticed, the whole east / west coast thing is really a personal preference. I spent a good portion of my life on the east side and it's in my blood now, and my husband prefers ocean fishing to gulf. If there is anything that sticks out for me about west coast beaches is I noticed it had more vegetation in the water but it may have been the days too.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 PM

So to update this post, I made my big move and no regrets. Is it hot here in August? Of course - it's August, but when we spoke to my brother in law a few days ago, he said it was 98 in NJ and we were at 92. One thing I have to admit is that after living in one place for so long, every part of me feels like I should be heading north right now. I understand why birds migrate, and why after a certain age it's hard to take someone from their familiar surroundings. The moving process itself was very involved and not cheap. You have to start fresh with everything, so the initial change over will cost you some $, but once it's over it's done. Getting our licenses and tags was so easy, but we did have to pay the initial $225 along with the regular fee, but you can get that info on the DMV website.
We decided to rent for a year to familiarize ourselves with the area, and plan on building. I recommend that since no matter how many of your questions are answered or how much you google earth an area, you need to live it. I have to say my angels were working overtime for for me since I was presented with great people through the whole process. We had a fabulous realtor who listened to what we wanted and worked with us. Our rental is so nice in an area we really like, I'm going to hate to move. Our neighbors are all great too and are also transplants, so we get lots of great recommendations from them, like places to eat and shop.
I've been here almost 3 weeks and it feels weird to know that a trip to Philly or NYC is not just a short ride away, and I won't be going to my favorite haunts anymore. I can see that alone would want to make some move back to their familiar surroundings. The up side is all the new places I can discover, and although they may not be Philly or NYC, I have Miami and Orlando to explore and get to know.
The other thing I kept hearing was that I'd be out numbered by retirees. Much like most beach communities in NJ, they had more "over 55" developments than towns that were more inland. I find the same here. Just do your research to find where the statistics match your requirements.
The best advise I can give anyone before making the move is to really ask if you are ready for a whole new life, because that's what it is. You can't compare living in the north with living down here - it's two different ways of life, (it's not cool/cold for Thanksgiving, and you will never have a white Christmas) but if you are ready for it, it's really a great "quality" of life.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, the restart can be costly, but like you say, its one time only.

The seniors are about 20 percent of the state population.

Birds migrate from the cold to the warmth.

Philly a NYC are a couple of hours away by air.

Instead of the old haunts, you will be finding some new ones. Hopefully some that come with a reminder of the old ones.

Good luck in your FL life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichoto-me View Post
So to update this post, I made my big move and no regrets. Is it hot here in August? Of course - it's August, but when we spoke to my brother in law a few days ago, he said it was 98 in NJ and we were at 92. One thing I have to admit is that after living in one place for so long, every part of me feels like I should be heading north right now. I understand why birds migrate, and why after a certain age it's hard to take someone from their familiar surroundings. The moving process itself was very involved and not cheap. You have to start fresh with everything, so the initial change over will cost you some $, but once it's over it's done. Getting our licenses and tags was so easy, but we did have to pay the initial $225 along with the regular fee, but you can get that info on the DMV website.
We decided to rent for a year to familiarize ourselves with the area, and plan on building. I recommend that since no matter how many of your questions are answered or how much you google earth an area, you need to live it. I have to say my angels were working overtime for for me since I was presented with great people through the whole process. We had a fabulous realtor who listened to what we wanted and worked with us. Our rental is so nice in an area we really like, I'm going to hate to move. Our neighbors are all great too and are also transplants, so we get lots of great recommendations from them, like places to eat and shop.
I've been here almost 3 weeks and it feels weird to know that a trip to Philly or NYC is not just a short ride away, and I won't be going to my favorite haunts anymore. I can see that alone would want to make some move back to their familiar surroundings. The up side is all the new places I can discover, and although they may not be Philly or NYC, I have Miami and Orlando to explore and get to know.
The other thing I kept hearing was that I'd be out numbered by retirees. Much like most beach communities in NJ, they had more "over 55" developments than towns that were more inland. I find the same here. Just do your research to find where the statistics match your requirements.
The best advise I can give anyone before making the move is to really ask if you are ready for a whole new life, because that's what it is. You can't compare living in the north with living down here - it's two different ways of life, (it's not cool/cold for Thanksgiving, and you will never have a white Christmas) but if you are ready for it, it's really a great "quality" of life.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM

You both need to figure out why you arent a "good fit". '

Florida is not a place that tolerates the "well, up north....." attitude or "mine is bigger than yours" chatter.

Figure out what you did wrong.

Get a "no soliciting" sign for your front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala506 View Post
I moved to the space coast in June of 2013 because my husband wanted to leave his desk job and attend MMI. We had a primary residence in PA and a place in Rio Grande, NJ (which I loved, BTW). I told him that one of us needed to find a job in Florida before I would commit. He did, and we moved. Within 9 days he was told that he "wasn't a good fit". During that time, he found that going to MMI wasn't a lucrative idea. Sooo...I found a job in Orlando. I was there for 5 weeks when I was told that I "wasn't a good fit". What? We are both educated. I have a MS degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology and he has an Engineering degree. If you ask me, it's the mentality of Florida...very different. You may have a job lined up before you move, but nothing is set in stone. I believed that I'd made the worst mistake of my life moving here, but I have learned so much about myself and have come to appreciate everything that I took for granted. I spent months perusing these forums before I moved and the only advice I can give anyone making any type of big move is to ask yourself why you're doing it. You can't run from yourself or your own problems. If the weather is your only reason, realize that the summer is HOT here...It's like having a heat wave that sticks around for 4 months. As far as taxes, cost of living...everything balances out wherever you go. Oh, and I am so tired of people knocking on my door asking for money...you can't trust anyone here.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:12 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,831,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromNJ-to-FL View Post
Yes, i my area : Bradlay Beach, NJ | Belmar, NJ | Spring Lake, NJ - it's imposible to see any homeless.

And 100% safe to take a walk in 3 AM with back of cash in hands...

So it's mean i am live in "haven", and no need to move to "hell" ?
Then I suggest you stay in NJ and turn up the heat.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,313,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromNJ-to-FL View Post
Can anyone give me tips, where in FL i can find place to live for $1300/m ( rent ).

2. safe for parking a car
3. safe for walking at nite.

that doesnt exist in Florida imo and one of the main reasons we left 10 years ago.. from the family I still have there they say its even worse now

Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
that doesnt exist in Florida imo and one of the main reasons we left 10 years ago.. from the family I still have there they say its even worse now
How many of the 54,252 Square Miles of Florida do you have personal knowledge of??

Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,163,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Florida is not a place that tolerates the "well, up north....." attitude or "mine is bigger than yours" chatter.
You can bring whatever attitude you want to Florida - everyone else does. Very few that move there check their ego at the state line.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You can bring whatever attitude you want to Florida - everyone else does. Very few that move there check their ego at the state line.
and that is exactly why they wind up leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida