Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Is there a reason you are not trying to do a short sale?
I haven't really looked into the short sale solution. But to be honest, I owe way more on my home than it's worth.

To show you what I mean, just this morning, I made a mortgage payment. I glanced over at the "balance" window on my statement and it said $134K

comparable homes in my area are now selling for about $55K or $60K.

I don't see any reason why the bank would agree to a short sale, knowing they will be out that much money.

Everytime I make one of those payments, I feel like i'm just throwing money in a black hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well your credit will be ruined for years and is even much worse than a bankruptcy. Is there anyway you can try a loan modification program instead? The mortgage company can as stated above hold you accountable for the difference and sue. Now imagine if they do sue and win and they garnish your wages too.
I'm not worried about my credit. Not at all.

I've tried the loan modifications, but was turned down because i'm not behind on my payments.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I haven't really looked into the short sale solution. But to be honest, I owe way more on my home than it's worth.

To show you what I mean, just this morning, I made a mortgage payment. I glanced over at the "balance" window on my statement and it said $134K

I don't see any reason why the bank would agree to a short sale, knowing they will be out that much money.

Everytime I make one of those payments, I feel like i'm just throwing money in a black hole.
It's worth it to at least try, you would be surprised what banks will agree to, they would rather do a short sale these days than a foreclosure. Before you just "walk" I would talk to an attorney or realtor that specializes in short sales, at this point you have nothing to lose.

Also, if you haven't already, you should post this in the real estate forum here, you might get more advice.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

Remember you've got to live somewhere. How much are you going to save renting an equivalent property somewhere else?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Remember you've got to live somewhere. How much are you going to save renting an equivalent property somewhere else?
about half my monthly mortgage payment.

Yeah, I know. That's why it makes me sick every month when I do it.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's worth it to at least try, you would be surprised what banks will agree to, they would rather do a short sale these days than a foreclosure. Before you just "walk" I would talk to an attorney or realtor that specializes in short sales, at this point you have nothing to lose.

Also, if you haven't already, you should post this in the real estate forum here, you might get more advice.
Yeah, I know I should probably talk to a realtor and a lawyer. At this point, i'm just testing the waters and I mainly just wanted to get input from people who have done this or know something about it.

The more I know, the better decision I can make.

also, I didn't know we even had a real estate forum here. Does it deal with Florida real estate exclusively? I'll have to check into it. thanks.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Are you paying PMI on your home? A lot of people seem to overlook this and most people carry it.

Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI):Benefits, New Requirements, Homeowners' Protection Act, Terminating PMI, HPA Disclosures, and Home Value Increases - an FRBSF Brochure

I foreclosed on a house in Texas back in 2006. Bank never came after me for the money, probably cuz they didn't lose any and I had PMI.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Are you paying PMI on your home? A lot of people seem to overlook this and most people carry it.

Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI):Benefits, New Requirements, Homeowners' Protection Act, Terminating PMI, HPA Disclosures, and Home Value Increases - an FRBSF Brochure

I foreclosed on a house in Texas back in 2006. Bank never came after me for the money, probably cuz they didn't lose any and I had PMI.
Yeah, I have PMI

I'm not sure what your getting at.

Are you saying that if you have PMI insurance, the mortgage holders are less likely to pursue the difference between what you owe and what it's worth?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Try the short sale route if possible. Call your bank and ask what needs to happen before you are considered. They may need you to be behind in your payments, etc.

$60k is really not a lot or an inordinate amount for the bank to "write off"... it's actually not even that much "underwater" compared to what some people are experiencing. Over the course of the 30 year mortgage, it will recoup what it has lost.

Are you just tired of living in the house? What if the house were worth what you owed? Remember that if you foreclose, the bank can come after you for the difference AND judgments can be executed on for twenty years.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM

42 posts, read 74,990 times
Deed in lieu of foreclosure? Hurts your credit, but less than foreclosure. Also, if the bank agrees to a deed in lieu then you can avoid a summary judgment.

Keep in mind the tax implications. Forgiven debt is taxable under some circumstances. If you walk away and the bank writes off the loss then this may possibly be taxable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida