Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Buyers asked the banks to lend them money. The banks did not force them to take out a mortgage, nor did they tell them to buy such expensive homes. Buyers need to be held responsible as well.
As do banks, but banks had their hands out to the government for help, where does a homeowner go who has a moneypit of a home.

Plus some idiots bought homes they couldn't afford and had to default, others bought because the market was off and didn't buy extravagant homes, and bought high and then when the market corrected they are stuck.

I remember at the height of the market a tiny home was going for $300K, I was in it and the living room only fit a couch and a tv, the kitchen fit a small table and then there was a staircase, a small room and an upstairs area with those attic like arched ceilings..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
As do banks, but banks had their hands out to the government for help, where does a homeowner go who has a moneypit of a home.

Plus some idiots bought homes they couldn't afford and had to default, others bought because the market was off and didn't buy extravagant homes, and bought high and then when the market corrected they are stuck.

I remember at the height of the market a tiny home was going for $300K, I was in it and the living room only fit a couch and a tv, the kitchen fit a small table and then there was a staircase, a small room and an upstairs area with those attic like arched ceilings..
Actually most of the banks did not have their hands out to the government. The government forced the banks to take the money, so their books would "look" right. When some of the banks wanted to pay back the money early, the government said no.

Please please do some actual research before posting, as posts about what people think happened or what Fox, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC or CNN tells them happened are so far off base.

And so what if someone's house is worth less than it was worth when they bought it. When you buy a car, it is worth less and less than when you bought it also. Do you just walk away from that?

I understand if someone lost their job and simply had no money to pay their mortgage. But being upside down with the financial capacity to pay is no excuse. Upside down to can easily become right side up tomorrow. It's a floating market.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
And so what if someone's house is worth less than it was worth when they bought it. When you buy a car, it is worth less and less than when you bought it also. Do you just walk away from that?

Please use some common sense, do not compare a home to a car. Everyone knows that cars depreciate. And yes eventually you do walk away from an old car, junk it or trade it in, and buy a different one.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Please use some common sense, do not compare a home to a car. Everyone knows that cars depreciate. And yes eventually you do walk away from an old car, junk it or trade it in, and buy a different one.
So you would walk away from the loan you have on a car because it depreciated when you drove it off the lot?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
I would have ditched my home if it was under water as well. I don't blame the op one bit. Never let a terrible debt hold your life down. If other people want you to remain miserable well that is their problem.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I was $200k under water on my house, but like an idiot I keep paying while all my neighbors go through strategic defaults. Each default lowers the value of my home.

Thank you scumbags, for making those of us that honor our contracts, suffer more!
Sounds to me like you should have defaulted as well. Those people are not scumbags. They did what they needed to do to remain happy. I would NEVER let any debt hold my life down. Luckily I don't have any but if I had an upside down house or massive medical bills if would bankrupt it away in a second.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I would have ditched my home if it was under water as well. I don't blame the op one bit. Never let a terrible debt hold your life down. If other people want you to remain miserable well that is their problem.
I don't see how it holds you down. Your mortgage payment does not change, so as long as your income is the same then you don't notice any difference month to month. And again, real estate goes up, goes down, goes up and so on.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Sounds to me like you should have defaulted as well. Those people are not scumbags. They did what they needed to do to remain happy. I would NEVER let any debt hold my life down. Luckily I don't have any but if I had an upside down house or massive medical bills if would bankrupt it away in a second.
Remind me not to lend you any money.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
Quote:
Not when you still owe money on it. It would be paid off by then. People should do their homework when buying a home. It's a BIG purchase. You're supposed to go into it knowing full well that the mortgage is yours until it's paid in full. When someone makes a bad investment decision or purchase, it shouldn't be anyone else's problem to get them out of it or take the hit for it. But I guess that's how things work today. It's popular to not take responsibility for one's decisions and actions. I'm not referring to people who have dire circumstances causing them to lose their home when they don't want to, only to those who knowingly purchased a home at the top of the market hoping it would go higher still which is most of the people who jumped in whole hog and then walked away when things didn't go their way. I don't know why people didn't realize that if they kept paying there would've been A LOT less homes on the market which would've made the prices stabilize much faster and not drop like they did.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Not when you still owe money on it. It would be paid off by then. People should do their homework when buying a home. It's a BIG purchase. You're supposed to go into it knowing full well that the mortgage is yours until it's paid in full. When someone makes a bad investment decision or purchase, it shouldn't be anyone else's problem to get them out of it or take the hit for it. But I guess that's how things work today. It's popular to not take responsibility for one's decisions and actions. I'm not referring to people who have dire circumstances causing them to lose their home when they don't want to, only to those who knowingly purchased a home at the top of the market hoping it would go higher still which is most of the people who jumped in whole hog and then walked away when things didn't go their way. I don't know why people didn't realize that if they kept paying there would've been A LOT less homes on the market which would've made the prices stabilize much faster and not drop like they did.
Excellent post! All these people bailing out on their promise to pay, simply because the value started to dip, caused the values to drop even further. The more selfish people not honoring their debt obligations, the more the prices dropped.

But I guess I could say thank you to them for making the prices here drop enough to make my mortgage on my 2012 home purchase lower. Actually less than renting. Thanks deadbeats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida