Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I'm not worried about my credit. Not at all.

I've tried the loan modifications, but was turned down because i'm not behind on my payments.
Well...

There are so many options out there, right now. It's not like it was 2 years ago. Walking away seems silly. And because of $60,000? That's peanuts.

If you are making a business decision you need to look at your choices and consequences. It seems like you have your mind made up when you really don't understand your options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well...

There are so many options out there, right now. It's not like it was 2 years ago. Walking away seems silly. And because of $60,000? That's peanuts.

If you are making a business decision you need to look at your choices and consequences. It seems like you have your mind made up when you really don't understand your options.
Depends on the overall relation of the $60K to the OP's equity in the house, and his overall financial status. If he can rent for dirt cheap and won't be buying anytime soon (and won't have a need for CREDIT anytime soon), it may be something to look into.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
yes, it is all about me. Sorry

Now, read what I said originally. I'm not interested in peoples morality judgements.
Too bad pal. You're screwing the rest of us who are paying our mortgages. If you lost your job or became sick I'd be totally empathetic. But you shyt on your neighbors by doing this and only compound the problem down here.

I wouldn't say a strategic default is too intelligent anyway since you're only 60k underwater. I'd bet that the cost of lousy credit over the span of 7-10 years will easily exceed 60k.

Ultimately you'll stick us with the bill up front, but you're only screwing yourself more on the back end of the deal.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:05 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well...

I've read that from several people on here. $60K may not be much money to some of you, but to a lot of us, it's a whole lot of money.

It's all relative to what you earn and your financial situation.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticTastes View Post
Deed in lieu of foreclosure?

what does that mean?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Rule #1: Don't ever post on a board and say "don't judge me."

Old 09-25-2010, 03:50 AM

42 posts, read 74,990 times
Deed in lieu of foreclosure. Basically you agree to give the bank the deed to the house and in return they agree not to foreclose on you. The advantage to the bank is that they avoid the expense of the foreclosure process. The advantage to you is that they agree to let you walk away with no further repercussions beyond what you negotiate with them.

This will damage your credit, but not as much as a foreclosure. To the best of my understanding, forgiven debt is not taxable on your primary residence or if you can establish to the IRS that you are insolvent. Otherwise, forgiven debt is taxable income.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticTastes View Post
Deed in lieu of foreclosure. Basically you agree to give the bank the deed to the house and in return they agree not to foreclose on you. The advantage to the bank is that they avoid the expense of the foreclosure process. The advantage to you is that they agree to let you walk away with no further repercussions beyond what you negotiate with them.

This will damage your credit, but not as much as a foreclosure. To the best of my understanding, forgiven debt is not taxable on your primary residence or if you can establish to the IRS that you are insolvent. Otherwise, forgiven debt is taxable income.
Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Just an FYI to correct something previously said on this thread, FL is a non-recourse state, not a recourse one.

As for your situation, all I'll say is good luck to you with whatever you do.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Non-Recourse and Recourse States List

A little more info.

However, I have found other sites that state Florida is a recourse state, including blogs by attorneys, so I guess an attorney would need to be consulted. I do actually think this is a recourse state, and that they could pursue you for deficiency if they want to.

Last edited by gypsychic; 09-25-2010 at 10:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida