Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times

Advertisements

I'm trying not to be pissed about this, but it's so hard. We have a house we haven't been able to sell for two years now. We have renters in it at the moment. We take a loss every month and have lost several thousand dollars thus far, while we wait for it to sell. Our taxes and insurance both nearly doubled when it became a "rental property". (how the heck do people make any money off rentals, anyway??)

But we keep paying even though I suppose we could "strategically default" because that's what we do~ fulfill our obligations. If someone truly can't pay because they lost their job or something, that's another story. But to do it on purpose.... I can't comprehend that. It doesn't matter if it "isn't fair". That's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I'm trying not to be pissed about this, but it's so hard. We have a house we haven't been able to sell for two years now. We have renters in it at the moment. We take a loss every month and have lost several thousand dollars thus far, while we wait for it to sell. Our taxes and insurance both nearly doubled when it became a "rental property". (how the heck do people make any money off rentals, anyway??)

But we keep paying even though I suppose we could "strategically default" because that's what we do~ fulfill our obligations. If someone truly can't pay because they lost their job or something, that's another story. But to do it on purpose.... I can't comprehend that. It doesn't matter if it "isn't fair". That's life.

Oh boo hoo...

cry me a river. Quit your complaining and get off your moral high horse.

You have just as many rights as corporations do. They strategically default all the time and nobody gives them the whole "moral obligation" baloney.

Save yourself and quit worrying about what your neighbors think.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
He can pay his mortgage, just doesn't want to.
Yeah, so???

The contract says if I don't , they get the house back.

That's the law. If you don't like it, well that's just too bad.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Yeah, so???

The contract says if I don't , they get the house back.

That's the law. If you don't like it, well that's just too bad.
The contract also says you're going to pay!!!

There are people much more under water than you that aren't "strategically defaulting."

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
If you want to risk your financial future, and probably have a difficult time finding a new place to live due to your blemished credit history, go for it. What do you do when you want a new car and can't get a loan for it due to this default?

Just because you're "under water" shouldn't make much difference unless you need to sell and get out of there for some other reason. And to top it off, to have to pay it back eventually anyway is like stabbing your eyes out because you don't want to see a cloudy sky for a while.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:

There are people much more under water than you that aren't "strategically defaulting."

That's their problem.

I'm engineering my own bailout using the laws available to me. I advise everyone who is upside down to do the same.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you want to risk your financial future, and probably have a difficult time finding a new place to live due to your blemished credit history, go for it. What do you do when you want a new car and can't get a loan for it due to this default?

Just because you're "under water" shouldn't make much difference unless you need to sell and get out of there for some other reason. And to top it off, to have to pay it back eventually anyway is like stabbing your eyes out because you don't want to see a cloudy sky for a while.

The whole "blemished credit" stuff is way overblown by people who know nothing about the process.

You can always find someone to rent to you if you have the money and you can always find someone to sell you a car if you have enough down. Those fear tactics that the world will stop turning if you don't pay are just nonsense. There's no truth to it at all.

I personally know 3 people who have already done the foreclosure process and they've had no problems at all other than slightly higher interest rates on consumer loans. It's way, WAY less than the amount of underwater mortgage they walked away from.

None have had any problems renting a place.

The really big eye opener was when my attorney told me that I wouldn't believe how many business people are doing this whole foreclosure process right now and have multiple rental properties that they haven't paid on in many, many months and yet they are all rented out to tenants. Business people are rich for a reason I geuss.

As for having to pay it back. That's a lie too. A skilled attorney will negotiate the defiency judgement out of the foreclosure. Only people without legal represenation get judgements slapped on them.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
What are you talking about??? The banks paid the money back.

And why does the OP need a bailout? He can pay his mortgage, just doesn't want to.
The banks were in a win-win situation to pay it back. They get to borrow from the fed for nothing, pay us nothing in interest rates on savings accounts and lend out the money and keep the spread from them and the fed.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Oh boo hoo...

cry me a river. Quit your complaining and get off your moral high horse.

You have just as many rights as corporations do. They strategically default all the time and nobody gives them the whole "moral obligation" baloney.

Save yourself and quit worrying about what your neighbors think.
You sound just like my kids. Who aren't very old. "It's not MY fault! Not MY responsibility! Someone else needs to fix this for me!"

Do whatever you want, but karma can be a b*&tch.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
You sound just like my kids. Who aren't very old. "It's not MY fault! Not MY responsibility! Someone else needs to fix this for me!"

Do whatever you want, but karma can be a b*&tch.
Agreed! Too bad our legal system allows/encourages this type of behavior. IMO there should be no such thing as bankruptcy protection and lenders should never give a mortgage to a deadbeat that defaulted on any installment loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida